Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DELMARVA DAY 3 part 1 #70204 02/21/06 11:02 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Another day of the Maryland Challenge plus a few bonus lighthouses.

Cove Point

Staircase inside Cove Point (this is as far as we could go).

Drum Point

Bottom of Drum Point.

Drum Point bathroom.

Cedar Point Lantern Room (all that is left of the lighthouse)This was on the way to the next lighthouse. Bonus-not on the challenge.

Distance view of Point No Point. Bonus-not on challenge.

I found instructions on how to get to this neighborhood and was told at the end of the road were 2 driveways, good luck. Well the driveway on the left had NO TRESPASSING, KEEP OUT and a few other non-friendly signs, so I go next door. Now my wife wants to be careful, so she stays it the car (after turning it around) ready to head out should I found the natives unfriendly. The car is blocked by trees separating the neighbors. I walk up and noticed a traveler trail in the front and what looks like a nice lady (older than me but not old). I say hi, and proceed to tell her I would like a picture of the lighthouse. First she ask, Where is your car? So I explain my wife was safety minded. In the nicest Southern Accent she replied, "Darling this is Maryland and we're not like that." So of course I smiled real big. She then showed me around to the backyard and showed me a good spot to take the picture. The house it turned out was her son's and she and her husband were visiting. Then came up the husband (by now I am back in the frontyard and he asks, "Where is your car?" Well, I laugh and ask him about his LIGHTHOUSE T-shirt. He then says let me say hello to your wife (in the meanwhile his wife went in the house). Susan was so surprised that I had a new friend with me. At that point I said THANKS again and we left.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: DELMARVA DAY 3 part 1 #70205 02/21/06 11:28 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Your story about Point No Point was a lot more interesting than our trip by boat out to the lighthouse.. Of course the waves crashing over the boat length wise on the way back to the dock was pretty exciting!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: DELMARVA DAY 3 part 1 #70206 02/22/06 01:37 AM
beachcomber Offline
Anybody else on the bus that got stuck in the sand at Cove Point back in 2001? Guy named John arranged for that particular excursion. wink But it was a lot of fun!! We got to see several lights up close and personal, including the one in my avatar.

beachcomber
Re: DELMARVA DAY 3 part 1 #70207 02/22/06 01:01 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Eric,

Where is the Cedar Point lantern room now? When Heather and I visited in 1999 it was in a little park at/near one of the gates to Pax River NAS.

Went down those two roads you spoke about to gat a picture of Point No Point. Not overly happy with either. Went back to the road you turned off of and continued a bit. Just around a curve you have a nice view right from the road. You can also see P-N-P in the way off distance from the road to Point Lookout.

Re: DELMARVA DAY 3 part 1 #70208 02/23/06 12:21 AM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Cedar Point Lantern Room is in the same place Dave. There were also aircraft, but did not take any pictures.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,148 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users