Next Thread
Print Thread
NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70147 03/29/99 09:19 PM
K
Karen Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi All...

We are planning trip to NE to view lighthouses. Any route suggestions or "must do's"? [Looking for Lodging (B&B's preferred)/restaurants and/or driving routes]

Timing is end of August/first of September. Don't really know how far north we'll go...we have a stop in Cape Cod for a couple of days...only thing on agenda at this time.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Karen

Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70148 03/29/99 09:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow, Karen.. New England Lights. You could spend a month and do them all.

We went on 3 different motor coach tours this past fall.

1. Connecticut and Rhode Island
2. Cape Cod
3. Portland ME and south to Mass border.

These were all long days.

I think the most enjoyable was Cape Cod. Here we tried to at least view every lighthouse on the Cape. I think we missed a couple because of poor viewing.

Can you narrow down your request? Perhaps the number of days you plan to set aside for lighthouse looking?

BTW, the Connecticut lighthouses are, in general, a bit more difficult to find and view (private access, etc.) while Rhode Island's Lighthouses are almost all viewable. Maine takes great pride in its lighthouses.

Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70149 03/29/99 11:39 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Karen,

JC is correct when he says a LH tour of New England is an ambitious thing to take on. I'm very familiar with all the Rhode Island and Massachusetts Lights. I have also visited many in Maine from Portland south.

Where will you be coming from and how long do you plan on staying in this area? Send me a little info and I'll try to point you in the right direction to maximize the number of lights in the shortest period of time. I'm also very familiar with the best area restaurants, and where the best deals are.

Let me know and I'll try to help.

Bob M

Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70150 03/29/99 11:52 PM
T
TURBO271 Offline
T
Sept.4,1999 - Lighthouse Cruise Extravaganza A 6 hour cruise from Boston to the North Shore to view 12 Light Stations ( includes Boston Light and Minots Ledge ) Departs Rowes Wharf, Boston 10AM - 4PM Boston Harbour Explorers, P.O. Box 690744, Quincy,MA 02269 or call 1-617-479-1871

Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70151 03/30/99 01:27 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
We are making pretty much the same trip first 2 wks of July. Not time fram I wanted but only 2 week period on calendar. Oh well. In our case we will be on a lighthouse viewing pilgrimage. More the better. Puling our pop-up camper with us.

I hope to leave with a general plan of attack with 3 basic requirements: (1) We will get to the East/West Quoddy lights. (2) Need to stop over in Saratoga Springs, NY to see my aunt. (3) if time permits we will try to hit Niagra Falls area. This one could wait for its' own trip if need be.

Generally I plan to leave Indiana, head for Boston and turn left. Will try to visit as many of the Hudson River lights as possible (Mike???). Would like to figure out how to also visit Colchester but not too sure about roads going cross country in light of full size van and 20+ feet of camper - have heard that some of the roads get narrow and windy??

I too will look forward to feedback, ideas & suggestions from everyone.

Karen & Brian - check Lighthouse Digest's site each month for calendar of events & other info. Link here is to the March 99 calendar which has many cruises listed. The Elms B&B in Camden ME puts on many of the excursions and is reputed to have a wonderful lighthouse theme.

http://www.lhdigest.com/archives/1999/March_1999/calendar.html

We are looking forward to our trip and will try and get some thoughts posted soon as we get back.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 03-29-99).]

Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70152 03/30/99 02:00 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Check the tides for East Quoddy as you can only go down then cross over and then up then across then down and across at low tide to really see anything but the very top of the tower. Get there an hour or two before maximum low tide so you can get back before the tide comes back in and you have to wait hours for the next low tide to get back. I think the window that you can walk over is around 4 hours or less. Wear shoes that won't slip too much on wet and slick rocks. The first part of the trip at the bottom of the first ladder it is very slick and rocky. The next part you climb a ladder that isn't straight up but on a bit of an angle so you feel like you are crawling. The next step is a testament to the fact that they aren't a whole lot of people that have gone before you because the path through a little island is still overgrown in spots and not beaten down. The next step is down a ladder that is straight up and down and also has rungs that seem to be set almost twice as far apart as normal. Next you can get a full view of all of the buildings and tower from some gravel area or more slicker and bigger rocks. It was one of my neatest experiences of visiting a lighthouse. It is a special memory probably because I just didn't just pull into a parking lot, get out of the car, walk 50 feet and I was touching the lighthouse. Just the trip to both Quoddy lighthouses shows a lot of determination; you just don't drive by them by accident. Check the tides timing is everything at Head Harbor Lighthouse (EQ).

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70153 03/30/99 04:46 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
If you really get bored, read this new thread on a New England, Lake Ontario, Hudson River vacation we took last year during the 1998 Reunion. It may at least give you an idea or two.

The trip to Maine (from Ohio) might be worth reading for Dave, much more interesting than just cruising across Mass. to Boston and turning north. This one takes you along Lake Ontario, up through the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire and straight over to Maine's midcoast.
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000022.html

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 03-30-99).]

Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70154 03/30/99 10:27 PM
greed Offline
Karen--
I'm from the Boston area and have visited all of the lights from Rockland, ME south to New Haven, CT (including the islands). If you know specifics of what you want e-mail me and I'll give you pin-point directions and must sees.

Re: NE Lighthouse Tour - Need Suggestions #70155 03/30/99 10:28 PM
greed Offline
Karen--
I'm from the Boston area and have visited all of the lights from Rockland, ME south to New Haven, CT (including the islands). If you know specifics of what you want e-mail me and I'll give you pin-point directions and must sees.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users