cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida, Georgia, Carolina's trip #69957 11/18/01 04:39 AM
RezmanDale Offline OP
OP Offline
Was able to see eight lights last week while in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. As soon as I get the pictures developed I'll make an attempt at posting them.
Old St. John River, Florida, Its a shame that the base can't move their fence back about 200 feet to make this light more accessable. I tried to get on the base but with security so tight these days, they are not issuing passes for the light houses there. I still haven't seen Mayport yet.
Cockspur Island, GA sitting all by itself in the water was kind of sad and yet the survival of this light in those conditions still make it special.
Tybee Island, GA was Amazing. A large American Flag draped from its railing was awesome to see. The restoration of this light is fantastic. The keepers house will be finished soon. They have done an outstanding job with this light. A must see for sure.
Harbour Town, South Carolina at sunset was stunning. I hope the pictures capture the awsome colors of a breathtaking sunset.The Hilton Head Island community is beautiful. A real first class place.
What can you say about Morris Island. Even with its faded paint and obvious disrepair it is still an incredably impressive symbol of strength and endurance. Can't wait to see this one restored.
Sullivan's Island, not what I expected. The modern tower with the old facilities makes for an interesting contrast. Active Coast Guard facility so only grounds with very limited access are open.
Oak Island with its modern Concrete tower is also active Coast Guard station and not open at all. Had to take pictures from the road. Still a nice facility and worth the drive.
The best of all was Bald Head. (though Tybee was right up there as one of the top 5 all time favorites I have climbed). The group that runs this light have done an excellent job. Complete with wooden steps and rails and its concrete coating, this is a must see light. Very unique and well worth the $15 ferry ride and $3 entrace fee to climb.
All in All a great trip especially when it was topped off with Dinner with Sean and Liz Thompson.

Dale
|8-{ )

Re: Florida, Georgia, Carolina's trip #69958 11/18/01 12:09 PM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K
Sounds like you had a great trip! Do you have any pictures?!

------------------
KRISTIN ERIN SCROOPE
kristin@scroope.net
http://www.scroope.net/lighthouses/lhlist.htm
http://www.LILighthouseSociety.org

Re: Florida, Georgia, Carolina's trip #69959 11/19/01 04:17 AM
RezmanDale Offline OP
OP Offline
Pictures should be back in a few days. Will attempt to post a few then
dale |8-{ )

Re: Florida, Georgia, Carolina's trip #69960 11/19/01 01:37 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
How come you skipped Hunting Island, Dale?

Re: Florida, Georgia, Carolina's trip #69961 11/19/01 01:55 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
It was nice to see you again Dale. I have been trying to respond to your email for a couple days now but my server or firewall keeps blocking my attempts to email to a hotmail.com address. Do you have another email address I might send my reply to?

Re: Florida, Georgia, Carolina's trip #69962 11/20/01 12:04 AM
RezmanDale Offline OP
OP Offline
John,
I missed Hunting Island because I ran out of time It was too dark by the time I started back from Harbour Town. I think I got some good sunset pictures there. I plan to be back there next spring with my wife so Hunting Island will be a priority.
Sean e-mail my work address aicm@whitemtns.com and put Dale on the subject line.

Dale

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users