Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Staten Island Tour Part 1 #69920 04/18/04 12:28 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Esther & I went on the NJ Lighthouse Society Tour of Staten Island today.

We got to 8 different Lighthouses- I use that term loosely in some cases. The weather was great- Sunny and high 60's.

We were doing the "overflow" tour. This was run last October and so many people signed up for it they had to run it again in april.

The day started out at Ft Wadsworth which is at the base of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. We met and got a little bit of time to explore the Museum and see a short film on the Fort before we went on our merry way.

Here's a photo of a model of Ft Tompkins Lighthouse that is in the museum lobby.

We had a small problem to start the tour- the buses were late. We decided to walk on over to Weed Battery to get started. The buses showed up by the time we got to the road down to the Battery.

We got a chance to climb up to the top of the Battery, but not into the Lighthouse. They have done extensive work to this Lighth and are in the process of doing a good bit of work to the Fort itself.

Here's a couple of photos of the Weed Battery Lighthouse-

We left here and made our way over to the Terminal for the Staten Island Ferry. You can get a very good look at Robbins Reef Lighthouse from here. Unfortuntely there was a barge parked right by it making it very difficult to get a good picture of the Lighthouse and the Statue Of Liberty behind it.

Here's a photo-

We continued our tour of Staten Island by going to the one light I had not been able to find on my own- New Dorp Light. I know why now- I was looking in the wrong place.

This one is a private home and the people do not like anybody on their property at all. It's up on a hill in a thicket of trees so winter is the best time to see this one.

Here's a photo of it-

We left there and went to the best of the lot- the Staten Island Rear Range Lighthouse. It sits high atop the hill overlooking Richmondtown. It also ahs the Neighbor From Hell.

This lady made things miserable for the people touring the Island in October and had an even worse effect on our tour. We were unable to get into the Lighthouse because of her complaints. The entrance to the Lighthouse requires that people pass over a portion of her driveway and the Coast Guard chose not to challenge her for our benefit.

We were very careful to stay in the street and not touch an inch of her property.

Here's a photo of the Lighthouse-

We left this Lighthouse and wnet to lunch. I'll finish up our day in Part 2.

Dennis

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 1 #69921 04/18/04 11:47 AM
Shirin Offline
Sorry to hear you couldn't get into the Staten Island light Dennis. That is awful how that nasty neighbor behaves! I'm sure Mike B. filled your group in on her lovely comments.

Shirin
Re: Staten Island Tour Part 1 #69922 04/18/04 12:15 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Isn't that the person who said you were all child molesters? I remember something like that from the meeting.

Dennis-how easy was it to see the Verenzanno from there? How about the Statue of Liberty? The reason I ask is because next Sunday, the QE2 and QM2 are leaving New York on their tandem crossing. The QM2 will leave at 7:15, followed by QE2 at 7:30 (QE2 goes a few knots faster), and they will rendezvous at 8:00 at the statue for a farewell fireworks show. I would love to photograph each ship as it departs under the bridge. That is, if the bridge is still there after QM2 goes through-at high tide, there is only 13 feet of clearance! Then I would like to be able to watch the fireworks show and photograph both ships. I figured that going to Weed Battery gets me an extra light on my list AND I get some unique viewing angles. cool

Looks like the trip was fun so far...this is the one that sold out at the meeting before my dad and I could even decide whether or not to go. We were amazed! eek

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 1 #69923 04/18/04 12:24 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Greg,

I had my money sent back from the October trip because i waited too long to send it in. Other than just keeping us out of the Lighthouse by her complaints she basically ignored us . We heard no name calling, etc.

As for seeing the ships passing the bridge- as you might see in the one photo of Weed Battery the bridge is very, very close.

In fact the first time we were at the Lighthouse there were people there waiting for a cruise ship to pass by so they could wave goobye to some people on the ship.

You would get a better shot of the two ships and the Statue Of Liberty down by the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. If you look at the shot of Robbins Reef you can see that you can get it and the Statue in one shot from there.

You'd have enough time to shot a picture there and then ride down to Ft Wadsworth to go to the overlook by the Bridge.

Dennis

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 1 #69924 04/18/04 04:43 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks Dennis! I think that's what we'll do--go to the ferry terminal. That also means an new light! laugh Then we'll be able to actually shoot both ships together, instead of each individually like we would have to do at Weed Battery. And we can also see the fireworks...I think everywhere this ship goes it gets fireworks. :rolleyes:

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users