Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
North Carolina Trip #69871 05/03/99 10:18 PM
TDSimpson Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We are starting the planning stages of a trip to the North Carolina coast. First, we are headed to Martinsville, VA for the Oct. 3rd NASCAR Winston Cup race and then leaving after the race for the coast. Plan on spending 2 days exploring the coast and heading back to Ohio on Wednesday. Of course lighthouse stops are our main objective.
We are looking for any suggestions on places to visit and on places to stay while there. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tom & Diane

Re: North Carolina Trip #69872 05/03/99 10:43 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looks like you will be heading into my neck of the woods. I live in Eden, NC, which is just a few miles south of the Martiansville racetrack. On most racedays if I don't go to the race, I can hear the cars from my house. If you are going to be in the Martiansville area for a couple of days and like old furniture and antiques, you need to check out "Chinqua Penn." It's the home of the Penn family, who founded American Tobacco, and traveled the world collecting Furniture and works of art. Also the gardens are quite well maintained, and have a real Chinese Pagoda, beside the pool. The farm belongs to State University and is used as an agriculture research farm. The house and grounds are just off Hwy 14, south of Eden, just take 220 south from the track to 87 south, which joins Hwy 14 in Eden. Follow 14 south and look for the signs marking the turnoff.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 05-03-99).]

Eric
Re: North Carolina Trip #69873 05/04/99 12:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you want to see all of the NC coast lights? You can get in Currituck, Bodie and Hatteras in one day and possibly catch a ferry and see Ocracoke. Lookout, Bald Head, Oak Island, and an endangered one, Prices Creek are several more ferries away. I think it is doable in two days but you will have to plan a really packed two days.

I was in this area last summer if you want anymore information email me.

Derith

Re: North Carolina Trip #69874 05/04/99 03:24 AM
Art Offline
I haven't fully recuperated from my Pacific Northwest lighthousing expedition yet, but I'm already planning my next. It just so happens that I will be taking the family to see all the NC lights at the end of this month. I'll scout it for you, Tom & Diane. Meanwhile, here are some links that I found useful in planning our outer banks trip.

This first site is part of the Outer Banks official website. It has ferry schedules and an on-line information request form. Use the form and tell them you intend to see all the lighthouses in two days. They'll send suggestions by return e-mail.

http://www.outer-banks.com/directions.cfm

This site is a travelog of a trip made back in October, 1993, by Don & Diana Carter. I found this very useful also.

http://aristotle.ipl.org/exhibit/light/Seventeenth.html

Cape Lookout is somewhat isolated and will take careful planning to fit it into a two-day schedule. Here's a useful site about Cape Lookout:

http://www.nps.gov/calo/

There is a "Graveyard of the Atlantic" shipwreck and lifesaving museum coming to Hatteras. I'm not sure when it will be opened, but here's their website:

http://www.graveyardoftheatlantic.com/

You might want to check out the Wright Brothers Memorial at Kill Devil Hills while you are there.

The Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce in Kill Devil Hills, NC, can be reached at (252)441-8144

Finally, here's the Outer banks Lighthouse Society website:

http://www.talking-pages.com/lighthouses/

Hope this helps.

------------------
-Art

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 05-04-99).]

-Art
Re: North Carolina Trip #69875 05/04/99 09:33 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
We are also taking a trip at the end of this month to the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia east coast lights, and all the outer banks lights including Cape Lookout, Bald Head, Price's Creek, and a private light called "Governors Light" north of Myrtle Beach. We are also taking an airplane cruise from the Wright Brothers Field around Bodie Island Light. I have been planning for a couple months now, and am pretty close to finishing in about a week. I will post our itenerary when I have a chance, if it will help a few people.

Re: North Carolina Trip #69876 05/04/99 10:12 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Bald Head Island is tricky. You have to go to Southport then park in a private parking lot, take a ferry, and walk to the LH.

If you have the time, go as a prospective buyer and stay a couple of nights. It's a unique experience. Then the parking, ferry, a golf cart to cruise the island (no cars allowed), breakfast, a dinner, and maybe a round of golf is included while staying at a private home. Your only requirement is to take a 1 1/2 hour tour of 1/2 million dollar homes and properties. You'd probably be doing that on your own anyway.

Here's the website:
www.baldheadisland.com

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 05-04-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,162 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users