Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69814 09/26/03 08:39 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
continued from Part 1 and Part 2

Leaving the ferry docks, we headed for the Staten Island Rear Range light. Coming up Lighthouse Drive you get a view of the top of the light, but not a good picture angle. Fortunately, I had made a large scale map of the area and Susan was able to figure a way to get above the light. As luck would have it, we ended up on the street directly behind the light. This is a newer light (1912) and appears to be in very good shape. The keepers quarters next door looks to be quite the house – sure would be nice to see the inside of this one!

While we were there, a motor home that obviously belonged to a lighthouse fan pulled up for a "drive by shooting" of the light. Note the artwork, especially on a motor home with Washington tags.

As it was getting late in the day and both vehicles had some ground to cover, we decided to make one final stop at Liberty State Park in NJ. This looks to be a really nice park, with fantastic views of Manhattan as well as the SoL. We were there to view the Lightship Liberty, berthed in the marina. Since the lightship also serves as a restaurant, we planned to have supper there.

We took some pictures of the Manhattan skyline before our supper. Nothing fancy, but the burgers were excellent. No good views of this lightship unless you are on the other side of the channel, and then they have the hull painted as an advertisement. We were also trying to contend with the angle of the sun. One thing to note is that you can take a water taxi from here to Manhattan, and you can also take a shuttle to the SoL and Ellis Island. Given the traffic mess in Manhattan, this seems like it would be a great place to “base” from for you SoL and Manhattan visits. And, the park is just a few miles from the NJ Turnpike.

It had been a long but successful day. We saw four lighthouses and four lightships plus the Statue of Liberty (could count as an additional lighthouse) and other NYC sites. We had a fun day with fellow Wackos and Hoosier Lighthousing Club members; didn’t get too lost; didn’t get any tickets and even kept most of our sanity. It was time for us to head west on the start of our trip home, and for the others to head up to CT where they were to overnight before another day of lighthousing for them.

Re: Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69815 09/26/03 09:47 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow! What A Day!

It just doesn't get any better than this!

Thanks for taking us along Dave.

Re: Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69816 09/26/03 09:52 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You covered a lot of ground in one day! John and I sure would have liked to join up with the rest of you. However, we had a great day lighthousing on the end of LI.

Very nice pictures and commentary. wink It's fun reading about your adventures for the day. I'll have to find out "the rest of the story".

Re: Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69817 09/26/03 10:43 PM
Larry Offline
ZOWIE! You must have been exhausted. I was just from reading about it.

What time did you go by the SoL? That could be our ferry in your picture.

Re: Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69818 09/27/03 01:43 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Larry, my notes say we were on the 2:30 ferry to Manhattan, and we stayed on the boat for the immediate trip back.

Actually didn't get as much ground covered as I had hoped, but we started a little late and were traveling in 2 cars (gotta love those FRS radios). We did do all right for a bunch from the Midwest in the big old city, didn't we?

Re: Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69819 09/27/03 11:56 AM
Larry Offline
Nope, not our ferry. We were on the 1pm to Liberty Island.

I'm going to use your notes here someday Dave. We are planning a trip back to NYC.

Re: Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69820 09/27/03 12:13 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice photos. It was great to hear about your trip. Wish I had been there!

Tammy

Re: Lighthousing NYC Part 3 #69821 09/29/03 04:55 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Glad you guys (Dave, Larry, Dan, Lorie, Byran, Ken and all) got to see all those lights, and thanks for posting your good times.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,327 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users