cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Volunteer Keeper At Big Sable #69796 04/21/06 11:42 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Our adventures on the reunion bus tour last summer led us to many new lighthouses, but one location I really loved was Big Sable. While we were visiting the lighthouse, at one point Scot Epling came up to me excitedly about the volunteer keeper program that he was told about while I was climbing the tower. My initial reaction was “that’s great but how I would be able to swing it timewise?” It didn’t take me long to decide to cut back my usual summer vacation to a week (it will still be on Ocracoke but won't being going to Charleston) and then use that time instead for Big Sable. So we sent in our applications and were ultimately chosen to serve as volunteers. Our 2 week tour of duty doesn’t actually begin until the first week of October, but next week we will be heading up for orientation on Friday. I had thought that some other bus tour members had picked up information and was wondering if anyone else had decided to apply and was going to be there too. Have any other forum members ever volunteered there in past years?

It’s wonderful to be able to have the opportunity for this great experience. This is a great example of how one adventure opens the door for new adventures.

Doc John
Re: Volunteer Keeper At Big Sable #69797 04/22/06 12:10 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
That's great John & Scott!

There was a story in the Lighthouse Legacy for Sep 2005 about Ceil Heller who did a stint as one of the volunteer keepers at Big Sable. You can access that issue at:

http://www.harbourlights.com/legacy/legacy_september_05_72dpi.pdf

The story is on page 13. Enjoy the story and your time there next Fall. We'll expect a full report with photos!

Re: Volunteer Keeper At Big Sable #69798 04/22/06 12:19 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations, John & Scot. Big Sable is such a pretty location and you should have a wonderful adventure during your stay. Hopefully you will also enjoy the fall colors by then.

There was one other couple at the Reunion who are regular volunteers at Big Sable. They go up the first two weeks in May to open it up for the season.

We do have another couple who are Forum members who have volunteered at New Dungeness, WA. I believe they are going back this year.

Re: Volunteer Keeper At Big Sable #69799 04/22/06 12:47 AM
beachcomber Offline
I told John that we will want all the details of both the orientation and their actual stint in October. John and I exchanged emails about the article in Lighthouse Digest regarding the management of Ludington and Little Sable by the Big Sable group. Unfortunately, it appears that both Ludington and Little Sable will only be open during the summer. HOWEVER, maybe John and Scot will get to tour them while they are there for the orientation. Those of us on the bus tour saw only the two exteriors.

beachcomber
Re: Volunteer Keeper At Big Sable #69800 04/22/06 01:17 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've never volunteered at Big Sable but it's on my "to-do list" after the kids are a bit older. I am SO exicted about LIttle Sable and Ludington being open this year!!! I've always wanted to get inside LS but it's never been open in the 12 years I've been going.

Re: Volunteer Keeper At Big Sable #69801 04/22/06 05:05 PM
kikigl Offline
What a wonderful and fun thing to do!
We were there on Dave's Bus Tour from Chicago to Mackinaw last year and I just thought it was such
a beautiful spot! I could have easily stayed there for a couple of weeks!

Kay

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,807 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users