Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69701 03/01/03 03:49 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I am looking for info on viewing some CT and RI lights for a possible tour in the summer. My first question is:

How close can you get to Stratford Point Light and are the grounds open?

Thanks!

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69702 03/01/03 05:53 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
You could (about 1 1/2 years ago) drive right up to the fence around the grounds. You were not supposed to enter the area without the permission of the ocupant of the house.

The ease of access was determined by who was the Coast guard person there. At one point the person was amenable to visitors then the next one wasn't.

We were able to go onto the property as there was no one home at the time. You actually have to enter the property to ask permission to enter the property. No one answered when we knocked so we took some quick pictures and got outside the fence.

It is an active Coast guard Installation so this could be different now (my visit was pre 9-11)

It's fairly easy to find.

Access: Closed to the public, but visible from the fence at the end of Prospect Drive in the Lordship section of Stratford.

You drive past the airport. Follow the signs for the Sigorsky Museum (the helicopter pioneer) and drive to end of the road.

Dennis

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69703 03/01/03 07:01 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks! Your info helps!

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69704 03/01/03 07:02 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
More people are welcome to answer this question...I want to know different expirences.

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69705 03/02/03 12:49 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm curious as to whether or not the public has right of access to most lights as long as they stay below the high tide mark. I know this wouldn't apply to military/government owned property, but as far as private property, I don't think they can stop you.

Anyone ever have any experience with this type of situation?

confused Bob confused

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69706 03/02/03 08:23 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's my little saga about a year and half ago.
Stratford Point

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69707 03/03/03 07:55 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
I went to Conn. last Memorial Day weekend and consider the trip to be a major disappointment. The cruise to Sheffield Island was definitely worth it. There are two cruises per day and I was on the early one. I could see two other caisson lighthouses on the trip out but my point and shoot didn't have a good enough telephoto lens to get decent photographs. May other lighthouses are out in the water or on private gated property. I did see Stratford Point from the end of the road. Nice wires in my photograph. I didn't stop at Lighthouse Park in East New Haven, having done that several years ago, but it is a good place. However because of the holiday weekend I had to pay a $20 parking fee (being out of state) to see Fayerweather Island. One can see Penfield Reef from the same park.
New London Harbor is also difficult to see although New London Ledge can be seen from many points on land. Just have a good telephoto lens.
Stonington Harbor is definitely worth visiting; nice museum and one can see Latimer Reef in the distance. Also Watch Hill, RI is a good place to visit but parking in town can be difficult. You must stop at the used bookstore in town, though. They must have ten postcard spinners with two of them devoted to lighthouse postcards. And not just RI and CT lighthouses. I saw postcards for NC and OR lighthouses.
This summer the NJLHS is sponsoring a RI lighthouse trip - a boat trip on Narragansett Bay on Saturday and then on Sunday a trip to Block Island. Now that I have a new camera I cannot wait to go.

Robert

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69708 03/03/03 09:13 PM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
your summary pretty much is right on unfortunately. Many CT lights are in the water and need a boat to approach or are difficult to get close to.

good friends mean good times
Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69709 03/03/03 09:36 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks, all the info learned here is going to help me plan!

Rgurskey-thanks for the heads up about the NJLHS trip. I am going to join soon, and may want to take the tour.

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69710 03/10/03 07:38 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Here's the next question-Watch Hill-worth it or not? How long does it take to get there, where do you park, are there good photo angles and views of the light, or a big fence? Thanks!

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69711 03/10/03 10:22 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Watch Hill- worth it or not.

Yes it's worth it.

How long does it take to get there- depends on where you start from. It's about 30-45 minutes from the RI/CT border.

It's a little difficult to find- the road disguises itself as a driveway. I was able to drive down to the parking area by waking thew Security guard and asking permission. If not you can walk down the road. It's not far.

As for picture angles- you can get some nice pictures, especially if the gate is open so you don't have to get so close.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get around towards the beach side. I think mombo can answer that better. I had other people with me that day that had no patience for another Lighthouse stop.

I'd say go for it- as Lighthouses go it's one you can actually tell you saw what you saw- some are viewable only from a long distance. If you go bring good binoculars or a camera with a very good telephoto lens and if the weather cooperates you can get a picture of Stonington from Watch Hill. You might not be quite sure if it's what you think it is , but you'll still have it

Dennis

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69712 03/10/03 11:08 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
We seem to have Watch Hill going on a couple places!

We really didn't set out to go there but when I noticed how close it was to Stonington, our planned last lighthouse, we decided it was worth the extra time. I guess I'd say it was worth it as, never having been to Beavertail, it would sort of be like seeing that one too as they're practically identical.

But, as far as I'm concerned that fence is a real drag for photo taking. You can walk about 3/4ths of the way around the lighthouse on the rocks no problem as long as the weather is cooperative, which it was when we were there - a gorgeous fall day. I took lots of pictures but, you are below ground level looking up and that fool fence is tough to avoid. You have to get up close to it to shoot over it or through it and you are then too close to get more than a section of the lightstation at a time (at least with my camera).

It was kinda fun doing the walk though, checking out the fishermen and debating whether or not I could actually make it all the way around (not). Once all was said and done the best photos I got were the ones taken from the parking area. The gate was not open and I didn't see anyone about although there was at least one car on the lighthouse grounds.

Guess all lighthouses are worth it, just some are more worth it!

Just remembered that someone else posted having taken photos through or over the fence. If you do a search for Watch Hill in either Map Room or Photography forums maybe you'll find it.

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69713 03/12/03 05:58 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
OK, now to question 3...New London Harbor Light...bother with it or not? I'veheard about the no photography signs and the old woman in the keepers house. Are these stories true, and is the light that visble anyway?

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69714 03/12/03 06:23 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I was in Connecticut in late October a couple of years ago and had no trouble see most of the lighthouses. New London was photographed from several points along the shore and from the ferry going to Long Island. In my opinion any lighthouse is worth the trip including the very cute little Tongue Point Light as the ferry comes into Bridgeport, CT.

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69715 03/12/03 06:25 PM
J
JCRice Offline
J
First off... GOOD LUCK seagirt!!! As many of the people already mentioned, Connecticut (shamefully) is a really difficult state to visit lighthouses.

Second, I traveled up to New Haven Harbor Light and, like you, I was tipped off ahead of time to be careful with pictures around the light. I was there in the middle of a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon...so I basically "chickened out" with my pictures. I got a couple from various locations around the light (basically stopped my car, jumped out, took a picture, and kept driving) but none of them turned out that great. My opinion...if you have the time, it's worth the drive to go see it but, if you're main objective is to take pictures and walk around it, you may want to spend your time other places.

And, third, I wanted to quickly relay a story about my experience with Stratford Point Light (sorry...I must have been snoozing when you originally mentioned that light wink ). I was living in Bridgeport and my fiance was living in Stratford and one day we found ourselves driving around the beach area in Stratford. It was a nice day, so I told her that I wanted to drive down to the lighthouse. We parked our car and, for no real reason (didn't have a camera or anything), we walked toward the lighthouse. There was a couple outside doing some work on the yard and when I approached the fence, the gentleman greeted me and we had a brief conversation. He then asked, "...hey, do you want to come in and see the actual lighthouse...".

Needless to say, I was stunned. My wife (I'm married now) and I quickly came through the fence and walked over to the light. That's when the gentleman said, "...you can climb it if you want...". So, we quickly made our way to the stairs and went up to the lense and, eventually managed our way outside onto the walkway. VERRRRRY COOL!!!!! I was very impressed...and, when we left, I made sure to thank the man who allowed me up to the light.

I had NO IDEA that other people had such difficulty there. I do recall that it was back in 2000 (I wasn't married yet...and I told my wife that I wanted wedding pictures taken there...an idea that she quickly shot down) so, as Dennis mentioned, it was "pre 09/11" and that nice couple have probably moved on... It's a real shame because I REALLY enjoyed my visit laugh laugh laugh .

--Jeff
Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69716 03/12/03 07:10 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
You can get a distant view across the harbor from a park area where you can also view New London Ledge. It took us a bit of maneuvering to get down to the harbor light but we found it with no problem. There really isn't much of an advantage getting inside the "private property" sign when there are leaves on the trees, imo. Since I encountered and spoke with the "old lady" who lives there I was kind of excited and forgot to look for other places to photograph the light from. But I do recall seeing other photos of the lighthouse that seemed quite good without having to snoop, lol!

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69717 03/13/03 04:05 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Mombo, I was able to walk all around Watch Hill on the rocks. For some reason I was carrying my tripod with me. When I go in front of the lighthouse, I attached my camera to the tripod, set the 10 second picture delay, and held the camera aloft with the tripod so that the camera was above the fence. I got all of the lighthouse except the lantern room. I did get some good shots from the backside, too.

Re: Connecticut and Rhode Island Lighthouse Viewing Info #69718 03/13/03 05:22 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Maybe I could have gotten all the way around but I opted not to try. Could have been a bit embarassing if I'd gotten stuck or fallen down the rocks! smile

Robert, as far as your mode of photgraphing the lighthouse, that's geat that it worked so well for you. I'm not coordinated enough to have tried that type of maneuver!

The folks who live there must get quite a chuckle out of what we'll do for a picture!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users