Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida Trip- Cape Florida & Jupiter Inlet #69507 03/26/04 10:45 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We left Key West Thursday morning . I wanted to get to Biscayne Key in time for the tour of Cape Florida Lighthouse so we again opted not to try and stop at every Key Lighthouse on the way.

Unfortunately, we still didn't get there in time. You have to be there for the 10 AM or 1 PM tour or you can't right up to the Lighthouse. We were able to walk along the beach and get almost as close. There's a small breakwater next to it, but you are not allowed on the rocks.

I got a couple of shots of Cape Florida Lighthouse from the beach though-

We spent the evening in the Ft Lauderdale area. We drove down to the beach area and had dinner at a place called the Quarterdeck- it's a sports bar type of place similar to TGI Friday's.

We skipped Hillsboro Inlet the next morning as we had been there before. We did stop at Jupiter Inlet, however.

We had the same kind of luck here as we did at Cape Florida- bad. The Lighthouse is open 5 days a week, but not on Thursday or Friday. We were there on Friday.

I was able to get some shots through the fence that gets you in. Here they are.

We left there and rolled into St Augustine just in time to get to the Lighthouse and catch the tram to the Dinner With The Youngers.

Dennis

Re: Florida Trip- Cape Florida & Jupiter Inlet #69508 03/27/04 01:09 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I actually like the one through the fence with the iron bar in it. Very artistic. My aunt took a picture of Jupiter for me. Every Christmas, she gives me two or three matted 8X10 prints of the lighthouses she saw. They now surround my room. Jupiter sits in a frame propped up on top of my TV, right with some other hand made lighthouse items of mine. I'll have to post some pictures of my collections one day...some very cool stuff!

Cape Florida looks great. It is amazing how much better it has been since that restoration years ago. I have seen before and after shots of the light, and bricks were once missing in clumps. Great to see a grand lady grand again!

Re: Florida Trip- Cape Florida & Jupiter Inlet #69509 03/27/04 01:32 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Greg,

I wasn't trying to be artistic- just wanted to get a shot of the Lighthouse. I was restricted by the area it's in. I like the photo myself, though

Dennis

Re: Florida Trip- Cape Florida & Jupiter Inlet #69510 03/27/04 01:47 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Don't they say that the best art is made by accident or situation? smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 811 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users