Last Sunday morning was a beautiful sunny day. So I decided to return from Rouses Point taking the “roads less traveled.” After backtracking across the bridge to Alburg, Vt for much cheaper gasoline, I started out, stopping briefly for a couple of photos.

Just to the north are the remnants of Ft. Montgomery (1844), aka Ft. Blunder II. This is
the fort that was built by the US that turned out to be on Canadian land! The Canadians ceded the area to the US. Well this is the 2nd fort as the first one was built in 1816. Once the 2nd fort was completed it was no longer required so we have two forts, two blunders but a nice view.

Here’s a shot of the bridge, also looking west.

Since the hotel breakfast of coffee and muffins was sufficient, I didn’t waste any more time. With the car radio tuned to a channel featuring blues music, I hit the first of the blue highways, good old Rt. 11. Route 11 was the main N/S route through NY before I81 was built, sort of a Rt. 66 type roadway. From up here at it’s northern end it takes you in a southwest direction. The road was excellent and there being very little traffic I was able to make good time, while enjoying the scenery and the atmosphere of the villages along the way. Once reaching Canton, NY I headed north on Rt. 68 towards Ogdensburg with the idea of re-visiting some of the St. Lawrence River lighthouses I.O. and I had seen three years ago.

Here’s the Ogdensburg Lighthouse (1900) looking west across the Oswegatchie River.

Across the St. Lawrence we have the lights at Prescott, Ontario. To the left is the red
topped Rotary Light (1989). Just to the right of the red house is the small green topped light -the active harbour light.

Then a bit further north is the Canadian Windmill Point Lighthouse (converted 1873).