cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69214 07/09/99 08:35 AM
Lighthousedude Offline OP
OP Offline
Good Morning,

As we all know the 8th of next month is National Lighthouse Day.

I have sent a letter to the Mayor of the Village of Old Field requesting permission to have a picnic on the grounds of the Old Field Lighthouse for that Sunday afternoon and perhaps tower tours.

I won't have any further information until after the village board meeting which is on Wednesday the 13th of July.

I trying to determine how many folks would be interested in attending so that the next time I am in contact with Mayor I can let him know what to expect(which may or may not have a affect on his decision).

Anyone interested??

Let me know via the forum or at my E-Mail address--Lighthousedude@netsacape.net.

Keep the Flame!!

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 07-09-99).]

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69215 07/21/99 08:54 AM
OP Offline
Hello All,

I received a phone call on Monday night from the Inc. Village of Old Field concerning my request for a picnic on the grounds of the Old Field Light for the 8th of August, National Lighthouse Day.

We have permission for a gathering but no picnic. Since they do not have the proper facilities (rest rooms, waste recepticles, etc., etc.) they requested that we do not include food as part of our "affair".

I will contact the new "keepers" this week and come up with a "plan" for the day and get back to all of you.

Thanks for your patience.

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69216 07/21/99 11:06 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Way to go Mike!
I spoke to two people in the know the past week, who were sure it would not happen at all.
Your charming persuasive personality is a beautiful thing!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69217 07/23/99 02:21 PM
OP Offline
Good Afternoon,

It's all set.

National Lighthouse Day on August the 8th,

Join the celebration at the Old Field Lighthouse.

Sunday August the 8th between the hours of 1:00PM and 3:00PM.

The tower will be open for climbing, please limit the number of climbers to 3 or 4 people.

The following items will be on sale. (I'm not kidding!)

T-Shirts $20.00
Note Cards $5.00
Writing Pads $3.00
(Quantities may be limited)

If Mom Nature rains on our parade I'll make arrangements for another day (perhaps in the fall).

Please do not bring food or beverages. The Village of Old Field has made this request due to the lack of facilities. This is kind of of important. Let's show tremendous respect and cooperation. Maybe our efforts will not go un-noticed and the Village will be more receptive to us "lighthouse folks".

Keep ther Flame!!

(Everyone have a great weekend!)

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 07-23-99).]

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69218 07/23/99 03:28 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds great Mike! I'll be coming back from a week in Montauk the day before. I'm sure I'll have a playoff baseball game that day(hopefully in the morning), and will do my best to be there.
Thanks for the great job in setting this up.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69219 07/23/99 10:42 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Mike,
Sounds like you have a great event planned. It's too bad I miss that by 3 days. Have a great time.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69220 07/24/99 10:12 AM
Wildbird99 Offline
I'll be there, Mike.

And I'll get the word out to a few folks in the LI lighthouse community. I'd imagine there are a few who would be interested in taking a peek. Perhaos we can get you a couple more "inside" contacts. :-)

I have some information about the Old Field light station that I'll post on my e-mail list before the 8th. That will help us all be a little more familiar with the light when we get there.

See you then.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69221 07/24/99 02:33 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow, Mike -- great job of working this out with the fine folks at Old Field! I won't be able to be there -- but sure wish I could be!

How about a group photo of the visitors in front of Old Field?

Is there a nearby park where you COULD have your picnic?

John

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69222 07/24/99 09:42 PM
N
Noelle Offline
N
Mike,
Do you know if they will allow children to
climb? My daughter is 5 and has been waiting
to climb a lighthouse for 2 years.

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69223 07/25/99 10:40 AM
Wildbird99 Offline
John,

A photo of HL collectors at the light as a good idea. Perhaps one on the watchdeck... I'll have to bring some cameras.

As far as a nearby park to picnic, I can't think of one offhand. If anyone is up to it, a trip to Horton Point after Old Field would be nice, though. The late day sun is the best for photography there, anyway, and there are plenty of shaded picnic tables. Horton Point's present-day "keeper" may be joining us at Old Field, and perhaps he can be convinced to give us a tour of Horton Point. If enough people are interested, I'll ask him. He's a great guy, and possesses a remarkable amount of LI maritime knowledge.

Hoping to meet some new folks on the 8th.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69224 07/26/99 08:40 AM
OP Offline
Noelle,

I really don't see why not. Bring your daughter. The sooner we can get someone exposed to lighthouses the better.

See you there!!

John,

I wish you could be there. Maybe one of these days you will be out this way and I'll bring you there.

Keep the Flame All!!

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69225 08/10/99 08:59 AM
OP Offline
Hello Everyone,

Our National Lighthouse Day celebration went very well (at least I hope everyone thought so).

Mother Nature cooperated with us. It rained in the morning and I thought a cancellation would be in the works but she realized that this was important to us "lighthouse nuts" and gave us a break.

A few Harbour Lights wackos showed up, Noelle and her daughter, RScroope a.k.a Long Isalnd Bob and of course the Wildbird was there. We were also very fotunate to have Cliff Benfield and his wife come to the gathering. Cliff is the "main man" over at Horton Point Light and even with his bad knee he couldn't resist the tour.

The "Wildbird" had digital camera in hand and if we can be patient I'm sure there will be some photos. If they don't show up in the Forum they will be on his website.

My daughter Rachel became the officail tour guide later in the day and she worked the "gift shop" as well.

A big THANK YOU to the constable and his wife for allowing us to "invade" their home for the afternoon. They were gracious hosts and from comments they made they enjoyed the day as well.

If anyone else out there had a little get together please let us know. We would love to hear about it.

Mike

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69226 08/10/99 10:03 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Mike,
Sounds like a great time was had by all. I went and visited the Hillsboro Inlet and Jupiter Lighthouses. Although it was extremely hot, it was well worth the trip. I'm looking foward to my trip to LI tomorrow. I haven't finalized my lighthouse plans yet, but I will see alot of them.

John

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69227 08/10/99 10:48 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Well said Mike, it was a great time!
The look on some peoples faces that just wandered onto the event was priceless. Thanks to you for the gumption to get to where no one has gotten to before. Although everyone in the 'know' predicted failure,(because thats the way its always been), you persisted until you were successful.
This well run event, will certainly bode well for future happenings at Old Field Lighthouse.I think you deserve a pewter tree for your efforts. Bill Y? Saint John?
You are the gatekeeper for all who attended, and the future visitors.
Thanks also goes out to the Constable's family and Mayor for making the day happen.

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-10-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69228 08/19/99 08:33 AM
OP Offline
Good Morning Fellow Lighthouse folks!

For a report with photos please go to Bob Mullers (a.k.a Wildbird99) website of Long Island Lighthouses.

The address is: http://www.longislandlighthouses.com

A big THANKS to Bob for his dedication ( lack of sleep) and his efforts!!

to make link active

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 08-19-99).]

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69229 08/19/99 10:07 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Those are some very good pictures. I wish I could have been there. I didn't time my visit there too well. It was dinner time, so I didn't want to disturb the constable and family.

John

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69230 08/19/99 10:11 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job Bob!

The web page on Old Field is a very nice job of taking us for a tour, along with you guys, of the lighthouse. Thanks for sharing!

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69231 08/19/99 09:27 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
It's always nice to hear that folks enjoy the pages. I try to get shots at these sorts of events which represent the day.

On my site, I also have the Orient Point birthday celebration and the annual East End Seaport cruise.

I expect to going on the cruise ( www.sunbeamfleet.com ) out of Waterford, CT on the 29th and you can be sure I'll have at least two cameras with me. I'll also be doing reports from a couple of Lighthouse Safaris tours ( www.lighthousesafaris.com ) on which I'll be a tour guide in September and October.

There's an independent film being shot at Horton Point soon and I'll have some images from "on location" to share. Expect those images to be on the official Horton Point page ( www.longislandlighthouses.com/hortonpoint ) by Labor Day. Perhaps I'll even get my first chance for big screen stardom.

Cliff Benfield did get to appear in an independent film shot at the light several years ago. If you get the chance to meet Cliff, tell him you saw him in a movie once and loved the way he said "Hi Zack. Come on in." Just don't tell him that I told you about it. ;-)

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com

Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69232 09/21/99 06:29 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's somr photos of National Lighthouse Day at Old Field

Old Field NE View
The back

Old Field Tower
The back

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 09-25-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: National Lighthouse Day Aug. 8th #69233 09/21/99 07:02 PM
LamarB Offline
Nice pictures Bob. Yhanks.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,315 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users