Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where to go????? #68997 11/02/02 12:40 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Ok fellow wacko's here's your chance to plan someone else's trip to lighthouse land!

My husband and I wore just discussing what we are going to do for Thanksgiving. Neither his family nor mine ever get together for family gatherings, my daughter is going to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with her father and my son is in Tennessee. So we will just let Shony's, Denny's or some other restaurant do Thanksgiving Dinner for us! He is going to be off work Wednesday – Sunday, that's 5 days with nothing to do. So he said “Let's go Lighthouseing” and ofcoures he got no objections from me on this one! laugh

Now the question is where are we going to go? confused We have been to every lighthouse that you can get to by land in Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and to Cape Henry, VA. So that means we must go North! But north where? Should we start at Virginia Beach, VA and continue up the east coast, or skip on up further north, or should we head to the Great Lakes instead? We also like to do all National Parks along the way. In fact it was National Parks that got us started in Lighthouses in the first place. We went up to the Outer Banks National Park in NC and fell in love with the lighthouses.

So here's your chance! Plan our trip for me! Where are we going to go?
Remember we have 5 days, leaving out from and returning to Atlanta, GA where he is now working. And we want to get in as many Lighthouses and National Parks as possible.

Stephanie

Oh and for all you who have read my Horror Story of my trip home from Florida. I am retiring the Van!!!!!!!!!! This trip will be in my New Car! Gona break it in right, Lighthouseing! First to the Winter Regional then Thanksgiving smile smile smile

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Where to go????? #68998 11/02/02 01:35 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Stephanie,

I would think that the fact that you are driving will be the limiting factor. I would say go to Michigan, except that it would be a good day's drive each way and the lights that might be open in season would not be. I would say sometime set aside a full week and you could have a wonderful lighthousing adventure in Michigan.

It is also a bit of a drive from Atlanta to Norfolk, but I would think along those lines. Many of the lights might be closed, but you there are several that are open, I believe.

Across the Bay Bridge-Tunnel you will see Cape Charles off to the east. Any closer will take boat rental. Assateague is pretty any time of the year, and the park has a wonderful nature loop. Keep on up the coast to Fenwick, and up to Harbor of Refuge and Delaware Breakwater, also can see Lightship Overfalls there in Lewes. Then cut across to MD's eastern Bay shore, to Saint Michaels to see Hooper Strait light and the great museum they have. May be able to get a look at Sharp's further down the way. Go north to route 50 and the Bay Bridge. Just east of the Bay Bridge you can cut south to see Bloody Point. (Probably 90 minutes or less roundtrip from intersection with 50). Across the bridge, look just to the north and there sits Sandy Point. Way off to the north sits Baltimore. You can do the Baltimore loop and see the 2 sets of Craighill Range Lights, see 7 Foot Knoll downtown as well as the Lighthship Chesapeake. Not too far north of Baltimore is Concord Point and Turkey Point.

Drop back south. In Alexandria, see Jones Point. Across the river, back into Maryland is Fort Washington. Head south in MD towards the Solomons. You can see Cove Point and Drum Point. Great museum at Drum Point. You could continue on down to Point Lookout, then head back up to Piney Point on the Potomac. Back north a little bit, take the 301 across the river then either stay on 301 to Richmond and I-95 or you can work your way down to see New Point Comfort. Think this might not be a good time investment, as it is a long drive. That visit is better tied to a visit to Williamsburg with a stop at the CG Training Station in Yorkstown to vist the ANT school and its fantastic display of a large number of Fresnel lenses.

I have done all the parts of this trip as one day trips out of Washington area. Planned out, you might be able to do it all if you can handle speed lighthousing.

Have fun,

Dave

Re: Where to go????? #68999 11/02/02 05:25 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks Dave! That is the direction that I was thinking of. Because there are a lot of NP's in that area too! My husband really wants to do Gettysburg if we can.

Any other suggestions?

Stephanie

Re: Where to go????? #69000 11/05/02 02:29 AM
lhlover Offline
Well Shortcake - if I lived where you did and wanted to go Lighthousing and weren't afraid of traveling - I would go to Texas! My book states there are 5 remaining lighthouses in Texas. (Not to mention - it should still be warm there, so the lighthouses that are open should still be open.) You could visit the lighthouses - which your list didn't seem to mention and if you get done doing that there is A LOT to do in Texas. For Joe the History Buff - there are Ghost Towns, Reenactments, the OK Corral, Etc. I'm sure it would be a great place to visit. Not to mention - just to say you've actually been there would be cool in itself! I know that one of these days I'm going to make it over to Texas myself. smile

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Where to go????? #69001 11/05/02 03:11 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Nope BonnieJean Texas won't do!

First off Joe hates Texas! :rolleyes: His first wife and ex-mother-in-law are in Texas! :rolleyes: And since I half grow up there, there's not much for me to see there ether. Although I haven't been to the lighthouses in Texas, I do go to Houston from time to time, as my Father lives there and I have inherited property there.

We want to go someplace that we haven't been before.

Stephanie

Stephanie

Re: Where to go????? #69002 11/05/02 03:51 AM
lhlover Offline
You know there is a Country Song like that - "All my Ex's live in Texas - that's why I hang my hat in Tennesse!" I guess Alabama in Joe's case! :p

Well, if it was up to me - I'd pick Texas, but then again, I've NEVER been there! You can pretty well count Michigan out of your choices - usually everything is open between Memorial Day and Labor Day (due to the snow and cold weather). Good luck getting to the colder states. wink

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Where to go????? #69003 02/17/03 12:31 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
New England... Start in CT, go around RI, up either Cape Cod or Upper Mass., hit NH if possible, and them finish in ME.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users