cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Massachusetts #68984 07/17/01 08:59 PM
Beaconfollower Offline OP
OP Offline
Taking a trip to Mass on the weekend of August 17th. Staying in Quincy. Want to go lighthouse hunting just that Saturday. I know where Minot's Ledge and Scituate Light are, but got any suggestion for a continue trip towards the cape?

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Massachusetts #68985 07/17/01 11:49 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Hi Cheryl from quincy you are about an hour from the cape once you go across the sagamore bridge the easiest way to see quite a few lights is you can either get off the midcape highway at exit 10 and go into Chatham to Chatham light follow the road to the left it will take it to rte 28 turn left and go straight thru town till you can't go any further,turn right and the light is just a short distance you cant miss it.After Chatham go back on the road that runs in front of the light along the water.It will be about 20 min.to Orleans,go straight thru till you come to Eastham and the Cape Cod Seashore welcome center they will give you directions to Nauset and the 3 sisters and when you get back to the main road go right and follow it to Truro there will be a sign on the right to Highland light and from there you can continue on to Provincetown and go out to the seashore parking lot on the way there you will come to a curve inthe road if you look across the water you can see Race point.Now if you go to the parking lot there is the Old Harbor LSS that was brought from chatham in 2 pieces when it was in danger of being washed into the sea.by the way nauset was also in I believe it was 1926 hauled to eastham from chatham where it was originally the north tower of the Chatham twin lights.if you have time you can go to the west side where you can get a look at the two lights on the tip of the cape. Now going back when you get to the circle at Orleans follow rte 6 which will take you back across the bridge and back to quincy.there are more lights on the cape but this way you can see the most on a day trip.
hope this helps you.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Massachusetts #68986 07/18/01 08:48 AM
OP Offline
Hi Bill

Yes thanks, that will be a big help. I can't believe I lived on the South Shore of Mass for 20 years a had to wait till I moved to New York to go back and look for lighthouses. Oh well, better late than never. I'm printing out your info now.

Thanks again,
Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Massachusetts #68987 07/18/01 09:52 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Sheryl,
Try this site.
http://scroope.net/lighthousing/massachusettsjuly2000.htm
Have fun,
Bob

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 07-18-2001).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Massachusetts #68988 07/18/01 12:11 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Hi Bob I have a correction on your cape cod trip.Stage harbor light is on Hardings beach in Chatham and is situated by the cut going out of stage harbor and can be seen 1. if you go past the light and to the left down the hill and on out to the dike you can see it by looking across stage harbor also you can see it from a few points if you go right and around the harbor.you can catch a glimpse from the stage harbor marina and also get your picture taken at the bench cam at stage hbr marina at the end of the rd. past the marina go left and around the so called circle and there are a couple more vantage points to see stage harbor.And if you rent a boat to the SE of stage is Monomoy light on monomoy point south beach.My point is stage harbor light or as it is known to many of the locals hardings beach light is in Chatham not aa couple towns away. Bill O'Brien Former chathamite.

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Massachusetts #68989 07/18/01 04:04 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Sheryl, ... If you know where Minot's Ledge is you aren't too far from getting a look at Boston Light. Go to the end of Nantasket Beach and up into Hull. You can get a good view of Boston Light and also check out the Point Allerton LSS at the same time. Keep in mind that the areas you will be visiting are very popular spots during the summer months. Good luck and have fun!

Bob

Re: Massachusetts #68990 07/18/01 08:46 PM
OP Offline
Thanks so much. All this information will be very helpful. Now just need to make my plan of attack.

Thanks!!

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Massachusetts #68991 07/20/01 12:20 AM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K
Quote:
Originally posted by oseabee:
Stage harbor light is on Hardings beach in Chatham and is situated by the cut going out of stage harbor and can be seen 1. if you go past the light and to the left down the hill and on out to the dike you can see it by looking across stage harbor also you can see it from a few points if you go right and around the harbor.you can catch a glimpse from the stage harbor marina and also get your picture taken at the bench cam at stage hbr marina at the end of the rd. past the marina go left and around the so called circle and there are a couple more vantage points to see stage harbor.And if you rent a boat to the SE of stage is Monomoy light on monomoy point south beach.My point is stage harbor light or as it is known to many of the locals hardings beach light is in Chatham not aa couple towns away. Bill O'Brien Former chathamite.

If you check out my picture at the following link, you will see that I had the lighthouse correctly located at Hardings Beach...and I pretty much walked right up to Stage Harbor lighthouse...close enough to get decent photos. http://www.scroope.net/capecodlighthouses/stageharbor.htm
I'll have to go back and look at a map for sure, but I took the picture when I went to the Cape last September...we went to the beach nearest the lighthouse, parked in the lot...I believe you could see the lighthouse from the lot or on the drive to it...and then we walked all the way down the beach until we got closer to the lighthouse. I got brave and walked up through the dunes some...and got really close to the lighthouse...without going and invading someone's privacy...It appears to be a private residence, and there is actually a sand road leading all the way back to the parking lot we started in from the lighthouse. I remember that in the parking lot entrance to this sand road that there was a sign there that said something like, "no vehicles beyond this point"...I'm assuming because it was a private road.

Re: Massachusetts #68992 07/20/01 09:24 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the update. I hope my pictures come out as well as yours. I can see this one day of lighthouse hunting is going to take some planning. But well worth the effort! Besides that's half the fun..

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Massachusetts #68993 07/20/01 09:30 PM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K

Re: Massachusetts #68994 07/23/01 09:30 PM
OP Offline
Thanks again, I have copied out all the info you all have provided. It sounds like fun!!

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Massachusetts #68995 07/23/01 11:31 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Hi again Bob;From your description you went down Barn hill road where you turn of rte 28 by the sou'wester rest.to hardings beach in West Chatham,you turned on Barn Hill rd. across the road from my sons house.I know you can get to the light house which a private summer home by walking the beach but to many it is a long hard walk in the sand.(I'm showing my age )I have walked it a few times and is time consuming.the reason I recomended the other end of town was to save some time to see more lights.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Massachusetts #68996 07/24/01 05:45 PM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K
You got the wrong Scroope...Dad too his trip out to the Cape a few months before me last year with my mom. Then my husband and I went in September...and I dragged him to find every lighthouse on the Cape (what else?)...and well, I guess I'm still young enough to take the hike down Hardings Beach (among many others) without thinking twice about it...although Tim (my husband) wasn't all too happy about it...Now I remember asking why my parents hadn't walked down to the lighthouse...and I told them it wasn't that far...even Tim did it!

------------------
KRISTIN ERIN SCROOPE
kristin@scroope.net
http://www.scroope.net/lighthouses/lhlist.htm

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users