Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68765 09/06/02 06:43 PM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
On Saturday, October 19 & 20, 2002 the Cedar Key Lighthouse will have an open house. Visitors can use their own boats to get to the island (the Lighthouse tour is FREE) or use the Island Hopper Tour Group (352-543-5904). Tours begin at 8:30 am. Last boat departs at 2:30 pm. Costs for the boat tour are $13 for adults and $6 for children, plus tax and is on a first come, first served basis.

For more information, please contact Pamela Darty at (352) 493-0238 or e-mail Pamela_Darty@fws.gov.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68766 09/13/02 09:48 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Just bringing this back to the top. Surly there is someone out there that is planing a trip to Florida in Oct.

Other contacts would be: BonnieJean (aka lhlover) or me. Please send your questions by email and we will be happy to answer.

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68767 09/13/02 11:28 AM
lhlover Offline
I would like to add a few things to the info here.

Visitors can get to the key by their own boat, the Island Hopper Tour Group, or the Lady Pirate Tour Group. I believe the Lady Pirate offers the same prices as the Island Hopper. The Lady Pirate's number is 352-543-5141.

Also, for all of you Lighthouse Junkies - we will have the Lighthouse Stamp with us to stamp your Passports. The Wildlife Refuge Managers forgot it on the last trip, but I have been notified by them that they WILL HAVE IT! I told them people would start a riot otherwise! :p

We are only allowed to let 4 people at a time climb the Lighthouse's tower, so the line to climb can get pretty long. It seems that everyone wants to visit around noon time, so the line is horrible then. I suggest catching the first two trips. This way the line is shorter and it's a cooler time of the day. We also have a really informative tour of the Lighthouse Grave Yard - don't miss it. {William Wilson, the first Lighthouse Keeper, is even buried there.}

We really have a great time there and love talking to other Lighthouse Junkies. smile And not to make you all a little bit jealous or anything - a small group of us FLA members get to spend the night in the Lighthouse both Friday and Saturday night to help host the Open House! :p

Hope to see you there!

BonnieJean

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68768 09/19/02 06:28 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Not in October, but we are going there in January.
Around the Tampa St. Pete area. Would love to see the light off Duneden. Can't think of the name at the moment but any other ideas around that area would be appreciated. Keep the Light!! cool

Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68769 09/19/02 08:18 PM
lhlover Offline
The Lighthouse off the Dunedin/Safety Harbor/Tarpon Springs area is Anclote Key Lighthouse, which is a Steletal Lighthouse. The Gulf Island Alliance has done some wonderful work to the area. They have installed a boardwalk from the dock to the Lighthouse. There is a chain link fence, but it is continuely getting cut so that people can get up to the Lighthouse and even in it. May I warn you that there is Poison Ivy and Poison Oak all over the island, please stay on the beaten path. The Lighthouse is in sad shape, but under the loving care of the Gulf Island Alliance I know the Lighthouse will again be beautiful! smile They are trying to build a replica of the original Keepers Quarters. They have already appointed a keeper for the Lighthouse, they just need to build the house for her to stay in. Due to thieves and vandals they can't keep anything at the lighthouse for it's restoration. They hope the presence of a person there will discourage people from ruining the lighthouse further.

Cedar Keys/Seahorse Key Lighthouse will be closed in January. You will not even be allowed on the key due to the nesting birds. The key is a very sensitive wildlife refuge and is only open to the public a few months a year. The lighthouse will be open again the first Saturday of July and again the third weekend of October.

Egmont Key Lighthouse is right outside Tampa/St. Pete. The Lighthouse isn't always open to the public, but the island is. They have some wonderful ruins of a couple old forts. You will be able to walk up to the Lighthouse and take pictures of it, but you will not be able to go inside. Even when they do have the Lighthouse "open", they never let you climb the tower. They let you inside to take pictures, have a very educational video of the lighthouse and island in the old Oil House, and a small gift shop in old Outhouse (I believe is the other building). I know they will have the Lighthouse "open" in November and are trying to open it more often to the public - I will keep you informed. You really should try to make it to one of their Open Houses - Richard (and FLA member) wears a replica of the original Lighthouse Keepers uniform. It worth taking a picture of - especially when he stands at the door and looks out. It makes you feel that you have been transported back to the past and the Lighthouse days of old!

If you aren't afraid of driving a bit, you could also visit Boca Grande Rear Range Light, Port Boca Grande Lighthouse, and Sanibel Lighthouse. The first two are about 1½ hours drive and Sanibel is about two hours. The only lighthouse that you will be able to go inside is Port Boca Grande, but they are all well worth the trip! Also, if you are driving down, there are always the Lighthouses on the way! wink

If you like, I would be happy to give you more information or even visit them with you. I have been to each of them several times, but can never get enough of them. I can also show you the best place to get postcards - if you are interested. smile

A great book for information and directions on Florida Lighthouses is the "Florida Lighthouse Trail". It is written and published by the Florida Lighthouse Association - check it out.

BonnieJean

BonnieJean
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68770 09/20/02 04:13 PM
lhlover Offline
For those of you who have not been able to see the Cedar Keys/Seahorse Key Lighthouse, I have uploaded a picture for you. It was taken at the last Open House this past July. I hope you enjoy the picture (and I hope this finally works! smile )

BonnieJean

BonnieJean
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68771 09/20/02 06:18 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
BonnieJean,

Unless my eyes are fooling me it worked.

Nice picture. Thanks. I won't be there for the festivities- I'll be in NJ at some Lighthouse working the 2002 Lighthouse Challenge.

Hope to see some of your there. don't forget all you Wackos wear your Badge. If you don't have one there may still be enough time. Contact Dave Hannum.

I'll have mine on.

Dennis

Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68772 09/21/02 12:27 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
We have friends who live not too far from this lighthouse. Frank said, "The next time you come down (next, I haven't been there yet?) I'll take you out there in my boat." This is from a guy who first sunk his boat because he forgot to put the plug in it. Then some time later he managed to slam into his wife's leg when trying to dock the boat! Maybe if I go I should go in January???? smile

Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68773 09/21/02 02:15 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Just have to add a bit here about Anclote Key....Tampa Bay Harbour Lights Collector's Club members have contributed much towards the restoration of Anclote Key Lighthouse. Many $$ have been raised and much time on the island cleaning up has been volunteered to help get the wheels turning to see that one day this light shines again.
Derith

Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68774 09/21/02 06:23 PM
lhlover Offline
Thank you Derith, I always seem to forget that the Tampa Bay Harbour Lights Collector's Club does a lot to help save the lighthouse. I guess that I just usually lump the collector's club in with the Gulf Island Alliance since a lot of you are members of both. From now on I will remember to honor both groups when I write about the Anclote Key Lighthouse. Both the Gulf Island Alliance and the Tampa Bay Harbour Lights Collector's Club have donated a lot of money and time to cleaning up the key and the lighthouse. I raise my glass to all the members of both orgainizations - you have brought hope back to a light long forgotten. Best of luck to each and every one of you. I look forward to visiting the lighthouse again!

BonnieJean

BonnieJean
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68775 10/14/02 02:03 PM
lhlover Offline
Less than one week to go before you are all invited to tour the Cedar Keys/Seahorse Key Lighthouse. The doors (and windows) will be open, the lights (and fans) will be on, the floors (and HILL) will be swept, and eight of us LUCKY FLA members will greet and welcome you onto Seahorse Key to view the adorable white Lighthouse on top of the hill. Only 4 people will be allowed into the tower at a time, but there will also be tours of the Graveyard and the beach will be open for you to look for shells or to just enjoy the peaceful scenery. cool

Please remember to bring your Passports - we will have the stamp ready and waiting. smile The Cedar Keys pins will be available for sale for those of you that have not ordered yours yet. Along with other items that will help benefit the Florida Lighthouse Association.

For those of you interested: the FLA will be holding a raffle for the Harbour Light Limited Edition replica of Cedar Keys Lighthouse (HL268). Tickets will be $1.00 each or 6 for $5.00. The winner does not have to be present to win. Any one interested in the raffle, please contact me before Thursday.

Hope to see you there. Please stop and say hello. I will most likely be at the foot of the tower's stairs to answer questions and try to keep order. laugh Stephanie (Shortcake) will be alternating with her husband, Joe. They will be selling Cedar Key items and giving the tour of the Graveyard. Just look for the Wacko Badge! :p

See you soon!

BonnieJean
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68776 10/17/02 06:03 PM
lhlover Offline
This time tomorrow I will be sipping small drinks with umbrellas in them, on a remote island surrounded by tall trees and nature. Taking in the view, the breeze blowing softly off the water, the sun gently warming my face. The lighthouse gracefully looming in the near distance. The waves softly lapping at my sand-covered feet. My husband there saying - "Why are the rest of us here pulling the weeds and cleaning the lighthouse while your out here at the beach doing nothing! This is the LAST drink I'm going to bring you!" smile Ah, peace is so hard to find, even all the way out here on Seahorse Key. smile

Hope to see a bunch of you there. I'll be proudly wearing my Wacko Badge - I'll be looking for yours. :p

BonnieJean
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68777 10/18/02 10:21 AM
lhlover Offline
This is it - we have our bags packed and ready to go - I'm just waiting for my husband to get home from work so we can load his truck and be on our way. Of course, like usual, he'll sleep in the truck and I'll do all the driving. I'm glad I have a great sense of direction and can read a map - it's gotten us to a lot of lighthouses that way. Actually, I've been to this one so many times I can drive it in my sleep. smile

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. For those you going to New Jersey - good Luck on the Challenge. For those of you going to see other lighthouses - have fun and be careful. Talk to ya'll on Sunday!

BonnieJean
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68778 10/18/02 10:45 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Have a good time BonnieJean!

One request please- stay awake while your driving to the Lighthouse. We'd like to hear from you again.

Dennis

Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68779 10/21/02 11:20 PM
lhlover Offline
Well, we're back from Seahorse Key. I have to admit - I really do love it there! smile The place is so peaceful and beautiful!

We arrived in the small town of cedar Key Friday, though Kenny and I were running a bit late. (He had to work all night and when he got home was exhausted. He laid down on the bed and I couldn't wake him up for almost 2 hours. mad ) We missed our group's usual Pre-Lighthouse Lunch, but luckily the Wildlife Managers were able to wait for us. We met half our group at the public dock (the other half was already at the lighthouse) and quickly loaded our stuff into the boat.

We left the muddy waters of Cedar Key and headed out to Seahorse Key. We were met at the Lighthouse dock by rest of our group. We quickly dragged our stuff up the hill and into the lighthouse. As we situated our stuff, Joe and Stephanie (Shortcake) started the Boston Butts (fresh pork hams as I was later notified) in the Slow Cooker, so dinner would be ready when we were. cool

We made a quick trip to the Graveyard to see if any weeding needed to be done. Every thing was in fine order, so we slowly make our way down to the beach. We walked along the beach, picking up shells and treasures to add to our collections and picked up trash that had made its way to our beach. After our refreshing walk, we pulled weeds that had grown through the brick walkway of the lighthouse and swept it clean. During a delicious dinner of Boston Butt and potato salad, we talked about the upcoming day's events. Unfortunately two of our members had to leave after dinner due to a family emergency. So we said our goodbyes to them, our goodnights to each other and headed off to our sleeping bags.

The next day dawned cool and bright. The boats started early and before we knew it, we had people waiting to climb the lighthouse tower. JOllet and IMoopies5 stopped by and chatted with me a bit until it was their turn to climb the tower. Before they left, they took a picture of me inside the Lighthouse – I made sure they included my badge in the picture! :p I'm sure they will share it with you when they get them developed.

We all had a busy day at our posts, Joe, who was giving the Graveyard Tours, was lucky enough to have a Bald Eagle land in a tree during his tours – it was one of the main events of the day. wink We were happy to show everyone our little lighthouse, but were also happy when the last of the visitors had left. We cleaned up around the lighthouse and grounds and went for a relaxing stroll along the beach before dinner. My husband and I watched as two male Bald Eagles fought in mid-air over a female eagle. Egrets, Sand Pipers, and Pelicans rummaging for food in the water, squawked at us as we walked past. The setting sun made the sky pink, orange, purple, and blue. At that moment, we couldn't help by envy the Light Keepers of Old. smile

After the sun had set and the colors blended into the moon filled night, we headed back to the little white Lighthouse at the top of the hill and had plates of shredded pork and potato salad. Exhausted from the day's events, we said our goodnights and headed off to our sleeping bags.

The next day was much like the day before, with the exception of one, very memorable, visitor. The cutest little 8-year-old boy had dragged his parents to the Open House so he could visit the lighthouse. This little boy quizzed each and every one of us during his visit. He stood in line three times to climb the lighthouse tower and had questions each and every time he climbed down. We each patiently answered all his questions and hoped that his experience here would fuel his love of lighthouses further – he and his peers are the Future Light Keepers of America. It's because of children like him that make you glad that all your hard work and donations are helping to restore the abandoned, historical Lighthouses of this wonderful nation. smile

Before we knew it, our time there was done. We packed our bags, said our good-byes to the lighthouse and headed back to Cedar Key and our cars. We each felt a bit saddened frown that we had to leave our little lighthouse, but each was gladdened that we were able to share our knowledge and lighthouse with all that attended the Open House. I hope those of you that attended the Open House enjoyed it as much as we did. For those of you that were with me – Stephanie and Joe – thank you so much for your help, dinner, and all the wonderful information you gathered about the Navy men buried at the graveyard. I look forward to seeing you again at our next visit to Seahorse Key Lighthouse. smile

The winners of the Raffle held at Seahorse Key are as follows:
Bert Duerin of Bellingham, MA – Colored Scetch of Cedar Keys Light laugh
Dave Foster of Gainesville, FL – Watercolor of Cedar Keys Light smile
Voncile Smith of Boynton Beach, FL – HL of Cedar Keys Light

Congrats to our raffle winners – thank you everyone for your support of the Florida Lighthouse Association and the Cedar Keys/Seahorse Key Lighthouse!

BonnieJean
Re: Open House at Cedar Keys, FL #68780 10/22/02 01:01 AM
JoanieO Offline
Bonnie Jean, Stephanie, and Joe
Geri (Moopies 5), my husband Ronnie, and I (JoanieO) had a great visit to Cedar Key thanks to all of you. After touring the light and taking lots of pictures, we walked to the beach and then took the Graveyard tour with Joe. Geri and I were so sorry we couldn't replace those two volunteers who had to leave, but unfortunately Ron couldn't stay, and we were dependent upon him for our transportation back to Cape Coral.
By the way, we were on the first Island Hopper tour to Seahorse Key. George, our boat captain, said we could return on either his boat which held 6 people, or on the other Island Hopper boat which held about 12 or 13. Well, we waited and waited for George to return and finally when the other boat came, we boarded it.
When the boat captain discovered that we hadn't come with him, he made us get off. There were several other people waiting for George, and when we saw him, we made sure we were among the six going back to Cedar Key. As he left us off at a different dock around 12:10pm, he said he was going to a football game at 12:30pm and wasn't planning to go back to Seahorse Key. There were several people over there that would have needed a ride back with the Park Service, as the other captain was adamant about taking only the passengers that had come with him originally. I think George changed his mind and went back for the others. Anyway, we were grateful that we got back to Cedar Key when we did. George is an "independent soul" and works when it suits him. The other boat company seemed to have newer, more roomier pontoon boats.
Anyway we had a great day, and it was great seeing you all again. We also had a great time at Sanibel and Boca Grande the previous week-end.
Will try to get some of the pictures to you soon. Joan smile laugh smile wink
Talk to you soon.
Stephanie, we wish you a safe trip home to Mobile.

JoanieO

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users