Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maine Trip Questions #68705 04/13/04 04:20 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We'll be going to Maine mid-June for the NELL Spring Meeting.

We are planning on staying on and going to some more Maine Lighthouses or possibly over to Nova Scotia.

We'll be in the Rockland area for 3 days then on to Bar Harbor/Acadia area and we are planning on staying at the Keeper's House on Isle Of Haut one night.

Here's my question- does anybody have a good place to stay in the Eastport/Lubec/Machias area of Maine? I haven't found too many places and hope that someone has a name of one they stayed at that they liked.

Suggestions for not to miss lighthouses are welcome. I'm trying to not go too crazy on this trip, though.

Suggestions of places to stay or eat in the Bar Harbor area are welcome as well. It's always helpful to get a report from someone who's been there.

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68706 04/13/04 10:42 PM
eskilady Offline
Sorry, I have no answers to your questions but just wanted to wish you a good time. And remember to take lots of pictures to share.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Maine Trip Questions #68707 04/13/04 11:44 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Funny you post this Dennis...my dad and I are planning to take a three-day tour of ME lights at the end of the month. To save an extra nights hotel, we are going north up to Portland, then zipping up to Bangor, seeing Ladies' Delight Light (isn't that fun to say?) and staying in Bangor. Then, day 2, we will go over to Lubec and work our way over to Rockland. The final day will see us visiting the remaining lights.

I have to post my lightlist tommorow...it's getting late. I think it is feasible...as someone said (forgot who), "Nothing is impossible."

So, I need any help I can get. Let me know what it's like lighthousing in the off season--I don't do it often! :rolleyes:

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68708 04/14/04 02:16 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg, lighthousing anywhere during the off season can be very good for a number of reasons. Less people, less traffic are pretty obvious. Also for those lights that have a multitude of trees, no leaves on them is a real bonus. Early spring and late fall are great times and of course winter brings it's own atmosphere. The only downside is that those lighthouses that are open in season are closed.

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68709 04/14/04 03:59 PM
CarolZ Offline
Dennis,
I have looked for places to stay in the northeast part of Maine but there really is nothing up there. We will be going there for a week in September and have booked a room at a Llama Farm (it's a B&B). It sounded really interesting and we thought the smell wouldn't be too bad. It's called the Pleasant Bay Llama Farm (they have a website). I think it's Addison. I looked into a lot of places in Jonesport but they seemed pricey.
Too bad we weren't going there first. I could let you know how it was.
Have a good time on your trip. Carol

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68710 04/14/04 05:22 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree Sue. Plus, when my dad told me that the mosquitoes came out in the summer in droves up there, off season came to the top of the list. I can deal with museums being closed--in some ways it is good, as I get extra time to see more lights that I would have otherwise preferred to use at a museum. And the lightlist goes uuuppp...I am trying to break 100, and will with this trip.

I think we are going to stay at the same hotel in Bangor, which will work with our route. Then, we don't have to check back in and will know the lay of the land. We're probably going to stay at the Hampton Inn-we like them.

As for the lightlist...still a bit more time. I have to figure out which of my maybe's are definitely's. Then I'll share it...until then... smile

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68711 04/14/04 09:32 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg & Dennis,

When you guys get to Lubec, make sure you cross over into Canada and see EAST QUODDY and MULHOLLAND. Both wonderful lights to see, especially if you get to EAST QUODDY at low tide and cross over to the light. YOu can see the LUBEC CHANEL LIGHT on the way to WEST QUODDY.

Dennis, there is a great motel over the Bridge in Canada on the way to EAST QUODDY. THe name doesn;t come to me right now but I will try to get it for you. We stayed there one night and it was pretty reasonable. We couldn't get anything on the US side.

Take loads of pictures and post them for all of us to see.

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Maine Trip Questions #68712 04/14/04 09:45 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The name of the motel is the CAMPOBELLO WHALE WATCH MOTEL. How's that for a name. It was 54. per night and nice and clean and quiet. NOt far from Roosevelt's summer home, Mulholland and East Quoddy.

Bert smile

Bert

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68713 04/14/04 10:10 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
One thing to remember when in Canada is to use your credit cards to pay for things. The bank will do the currency conversion at that day's rate, which is usually a better than the shops will give you. The welcome center as you enter onto Campebello Island was a very helpful one with lots of information to share (including tide tables for the EQ Light).

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68714 04/14/04 10:37 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I was looking into the Canadian lights in the early planning stages of the trip, but I think they need a passport to get through Customs in this post-9/11 age. I don't have one, and I think my dad's expired. I might look further into it, but I think it would be too time consuming for two lights. Thanks for the suggestion, though! smile

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68715 04/14/04 10:49 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Greg,

You do not need a passport to enter Canada. It does make things a bit easier, but it isn't needed.

You need two things- a Government issued picture ID (not your Sam's Club Card)and an original birth certificate or a copy with a raised seal.

You may not be asked for these upon entering Canada but if you are asked for them while leaving and you don't have them you could have a problem eek

Dennis

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68716 04/14/04 11:20 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
If you get as far as Lubec, DO NOT MISS going on to East Quoddy. It is an experience unto itself, one that you truly appreciate only after you make the trip. And, you have to do that during low tide.

down the ladder, across the beach, up the ladder, thru the woods, down the ladder and across the beach . . . . . . and, they have fixed up the ladders from what I have read recently. They used to be close to vertical.

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68717 04/15/04 08:56 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks to all who have responded so far. The info is appreciated.

I'm not sure exactly how far we will go yet. I'd like to get to East Quoddy but I'm not sure that will happen.

Dennis

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68718 04/15/04 04:37 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We didn't even need the birth certificate and we were in and out of Canada more than 10 times in the 2 days we were there. East Quoddy is only about 10 - 15 minutes from the Border Crossing and well worth the trip.

Bert smile

Bert

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68719 04/15/04 04:51 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Check these pictures of the crossing to East Quoddy at low tide.

East Quoddy

Bert smile

Bert

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68720 04/15/04 05:05 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The Owen House is a wonderful place to stay on Campobello!!!

The Owen House Website!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Maine Trip Questions #68721 04/15/04 06:57 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Alright...let me look into it. But then I don't have photo ID...and no Sam's Club card, either. What is acceptible that I could get. No license, much as I wish so. laugh

I have assembled a somewhat-final-Canada-less lightlist. Here it is. I have calculated times, too on an Excel sheet.

Newburyport Range Lights
Plum Island Light
Portsmouth Harbor Light
Whaleback Light
Cape Neddick Light
Goat Island Light
Wood Island Light
Cape Elizabeth Lights
Portland Head Light
Spring Point Ledge
Portland Breakwater Light
Ladies' Delight Light
Whitlock's Mill Light
West Quoddy Head Light
Lubec Channel Light
Prospect Harbor Light
Winter Harbor Light
Bass Harbor Head Light
Pumpkin Island Light
Eagle Island Light
Deer Island Thorofare Light
Dyce Head
Fort Point Light
Grindle Point Light
Curtis Island Light
Indian Island Light
Rockland Breakwater Light
Owls Head Light
Rockland Harbor SW Light
Tenants Harbor Light
Marshall Point Light
Pemaquid Point Light
Ram Island Light
Burnt Island Light
Cuckolds Light
Hendricks' Head Light
Pond Island/Seguin Island Lights
Perkins Island Light
Doubling Point Light
Doubling Point Range Lights
Squirrel Point Light

I am getting closer...my dad and I just placed an order with Atlantic British, a Land Rover parts company, for a new right hand mirror glass (he accidentially hit the garage at a funny angle and busted the glass) and an insulated mug for me that is custom designed for the Discovery's itsy-bitsy cupholders. I also compiled the excel sheets. I should be able to squeeze 42 lights in. It's a little tight, but that's OK. How much traffic can there be in the middle of the week on an off vacation week in Middle-of-Nowhere Maine? I don't think Calais gets commuter traffic. Our biggest hurdle will be Boston rush hour traffic, as we are going to be gone early enough to get through NYC's. I have tabbed binders for all the lights in a northern and southern edition (a lesson learned after pulling muscles heaving a full 3" binder from my lap up front to storing it on the backseat). T-10 days...hey, I wrote that good. I think I'll incorporate that into the opening of the log... laugh

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68722 04/15/04 07:20 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Greg,

As usual you are going for the gusto- 42 lights is doable.

I do have one suggestion though- do yourself a favor and avoid Boston at all costs. You should get on I-84 and take that to I-90 (Mass Tpke) to I-495 to MA 110 to US 1 to Newburyport.

This avoids any Boston area traffic and does not take you out of your way. It's the best route to use unless you have to go to Boston. Avoid I-95 in CT for the same reason.

Dennis

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68723 04/15/04 07:24 PM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Dennis,

Two years ago we stayed in Eastport at the Motel East:
http://www.eastportme.info/moteleast.html

The town isn't much, but the motel was quite nice. The rooms have water-view balconies, and if you're willing to get up early enough, you can watch a new day begin for the USA.

I highly recommend it!

Bruce

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68724 04/15/04 07:27 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bert,

You were one of the lucky ones as most are- you just get asked a couple of questions and sail on through.

The point is if you are asked for the proof required and don't have it you have one of two problems- disapointment that you can't get into Canada or a real sticky problem trying to get out of Canada.

It's easier to just make sure you have what you need and hope you don't need it than not have it and need it.

The thing that can really get people caught up is if they are taking children that are not their's (grandchildren, friend's, step-children, etc), have different last names or a person is traveling alone with children. They can require a signed notarized letter from the parents or other parent of the child authorizing the child to leave the country.

This occurred before 9-11 due to child abduction cases, but is looked at harder in the new security concsious atmosphere.

Dennis

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68725 04/15/04 07:43 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Bruce, great picture. Would even make it worthwhile to get up at o-dark-hundred to enjoy it!

Every adult should have a government issued ID of some sort. If not a drivers license, then a state issue identity card. Everyone should have a copy of their birth certificate - if not, this would be a good reason to track one down. Our county now issues miniature versions of birth certificates,(about 1½ times the size of a credit card) that are laminated and embossed with the official seal making them legal and useable - and a whole lot easier to carry with you. Greg is still young enough that I believe the only requirement for him would be the birth certificate.

Greg, if you are trying to plot trips and travel plans, ask your parents to get you a copy of MS Streets & Trips so you can get an idea of travel time. And remember that even though you may not have a lot of traffic in Maine that the roads are seldom designed for high speed travel so you may only be making 35-40 MPH. The bad thing about lighthousing Maine is that you have to travel all the way out the "finger" to get to the light, then retrace your steps, go up one finger and repeat . . . .

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68726 05/05/04 01:20 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis,
3 years ago Sis and I decided to go up to W Quoddy on our annual trip to Maine. My cousins husband, an investigator for the state of Maine, suggested the Machais Motor Inn (maybe Motel) just as you leave Machais on Rte.1. It was nothing spectacular but it was clean and reasonable. Also, next door is Helen's Diner, great banana cream pie. It was not far from Lubec & W Quoddy.
I, too, would also suggest going on to Canada & E Quoddy. It was a great ride but we weren't there at low tide but still a spectacular sight.
Mullholland is just over the bridge when you get into Canada.
We made this trip before 9/11 and had no trouble getting into or out of Canada. I suspect this has changed.
All the other sugestions on this thread are great but remember Maine is a god awful big state and you will need some time. Route 1 is mostly just 2 lanes above Bar Harbor but we've experienced few traffic problems from BH north (or is it east?) It is a very scenic trip especially if you go on the Rte.1A or the coastal roads. This can get time consuming going up and down the many peninsulas.
This fall when we go we are seriously thinking about taking the Cat Ferry out of Bar Harbor and going to Nova Scotia for a few days. My daughter did a day trip on her honeymoon last year and loved it . BUT they didn't take their car and were stranded for the day in Yarmouth.
Hope this is of some value. Have a great trip. My belief is that there are no bad vacations in Maine at any time or in any weather. wink wink
Rick & Sis
PS: We really liked the ride down to Prospect Harbor. We couldn't get on to the CG base but there are many great views.

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68727 05/05/04 01:31 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Greg,
I'm amazed! Your's is the only reference I've seen about Ladies Delight. My cousin has a camp on Lake Maranacooke and showed it to me.

A question? Were you able to get to the several island lights you mentioned, Pumpkin, Eagle, Deer,Indian etc.?HOW? I've never been able to find a way to them.
Rick

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68728 05/05/04 01:31 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We are planing to see a few of the Canadian lights as well this fall between USLHS tours. Do any of you know of a good book that lists lights and directions to Canadian lights? We have lots of books for American lighthouses but none for Canada.

Thanks,
Bill and Judy

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68729 05/05/04 05:23 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
All-

I should have posted this here as well as the thread that dealt with it. My dad had to meet with a prospective client in Buffalo last Wed., when we would have HAD to be in Maine. So we redirected our sights on Lake Ontario. I am working on a little Geocities page with my log and some photos.

Rick-

I would HIGHLY reccomend the Maine Lighthouses Map and Guide. It could be the ONLY guide you EVER need to Maine Lights. It has directions to see EVERYTHING. And it's under $6! cool You can get it from Amazon or LHDepot.

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68730 05/06/04 12:34 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Bill and Judy, what parts of Canada are you thinking of going to? Not too many good books on Canadian lights but there are some decent websites.

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68731 05/06/04 08:05 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We are taking the USLHS Door County tour (Oct. 1-4)and then four days later, the Maine tour. We thought that we could travel from Wisconsin to Maine by way of Canada and stop on the way to visit some lighthouses. We have never been to Canada so would appreciate any information. Also the info on the northern Maine lights is helpful. We hope to take some of them in after the tour.

Judy

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68732 05/06/04 09:25 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bill and Judy-

This might help. It is the Canadian Customs site. Link smile

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68733 05/06/04 09:46 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Greg. We'll check it out.

Judy

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68734 05/30/04 03:56 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
To all the folks going to the NELL meeting this June and any one travelling to Maine for lighthousing, might I suggest a visit to Burnt Island in Boothbay Harbor.
I believe last summer was the 1st time the LH had been open to the public after about 5 years of fund raising and restoration.
I had been by the LH on cruises but never able to visit it. It was a surprise to find that it is now open to the public.
It is more than just a tour. It is a living history program w/a keeper and his family circa 1950. With the exception of some of the big living history programs like Plymouth and Colonial Williamsburg it is clearly the best I have ever attended. It is also the only one I've experienced at a LH.
The high point of our visit was the fact that the gentleman portraying Joseph Muise, the keeper in 1950, was the actual keeper who succeeded Keeper Muise. I am sorry but his name escapes me and I can't find where I wrote it down. I do remember that he was retired to California and was recruited to spend the summer of 2003 at Burnt Is.
His knowledge and stories were very enjoyable and entertaining.
As retired teachers Sis and I found it a thouroughly enjoyable experience and hope this forum reply encourages others to go.
The program was developed by a Ms. Jones w/the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources and more info should be available from them.
I am certainly happy to have this venue to spread the word to anyone who uses the forums to plan LH trips, especially to Maine.
Enjoy!
Rick laugh laugh laugh

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68735 05/31/04 01:52 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Rick, for the info on Burnt Island. We are touring Maine's lighthouses in the fall and will certainly try to get this one on the list.

Judy

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68736 06/03/04 03:18 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A little more info about Burnt Is. and its living history program for those interested.
Right now it appears that the program is only available M-F with 2 trips per day from Boothbay.
You will have 3 hours to tour the light and the island. Last year we were their in Sept. so there were no children available to portray family members. As retired teachers we missed this perspective. The "husband/wife" keepers still provided an excellent look at island life.
I find out anything more I'll post it here.
Rick laugh laugh laugh

Re: Maine Trip Questions #68737 06/14/04 04:14 PM
kikigl Offline
Hi!

Can you please tell me where Ladies' Delight Lighthouse and Lake Maranacooke are? I'm from Maine originally and have never heard of them.

Kay
Re: Maine Trip Questions #68738 06/14/04 04:25 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,324 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users