Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68677 06/25/03 08:09 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
That big West Coast Lighthouse Marathon put together by Derith is about to roll through California, Oregon and into Washington State.

Anybody on that trip prepared to post us a periodic update here in the CF?

We'd love to know how y'all are doing as you go along.

I understand you'll be seeing 45 lighthouses along the way.

Smooth sailing and sunny skies. Stay safe.

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68678 06/25/03 11:32 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Thanks John for the nice send off. Hopefully Eric Sharp "Weasel" will provide the Forums with some photos along the way. We are planning on having a great time! I have managed to keep a few surprises for the group and can hardly wait to see their expressions.
Derith

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68679 06/25/03 11:45 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Why am I suddenly scared? Just kidding Derith. laugh

Eric
Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68680 06/26/03 01:19 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
So, Weasel, if you don't keep everyone updated John will have to penalize you by subtracting numbers of posts. (and other even more devious thngs that can be done by Saints. . . . . .)

You all have a good time with the Pixie Express.

Dave

(and I even know some of the secret surprises...)

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68681 06/26/03 01:45 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Safe and happy lighthousing to all! smile

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68682 06/30/03 01:26 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Have a great time. Wish we were along!! smile

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68683 06/30/03 07:16 PM
RFoster Offline
I am not bringing my laptop with me but will have my digital CF cards and hopefully can pass on an image or two through Eric. Really looking forward to this trip as the only time we ever were in CA was at the '97 Reunion in San Diego.

Ron & MJ
(CT Keepers)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68684 07/10/03 12:39 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I spoke to the Pixie for just a few minutes this evening. They were at dinner in Chinatown, San Francisco. She says things are going well, everyone is having fun and they are seeing lots of lights. They were at Point Bonita yesterday and have also visited the Rock and took a special bay cruise. Hopefully Weasel will get some pictures uploaded before John starts penalizing him . . . .

Dave

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68685 07/10/03 03:24 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks, Dave... I was thinking about those WACKOs just yesterday. Glad to hear things are going well.

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68686 07/12/03 12:53 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Just spoke with the Pixie (and Ruthie and Gail Jumper). They are in Crescent City tonight, having dinner after visiting Battery Point. Derith said Point Reyes was very foggy, and that they managed to "shame" (her words) the ranger into letting them into the lantern room. Looks great having just been re-worked. They were at Point Cabrillo at sunset last night. The property manager came out and opened up the light and the gift shop for the crew (I'm sure that was a very profitable decision for him!). With the layout of Point Cabrillo, I bet there are a bunch of fantastic sunset pictures with the light front and center!

Derith says Eric hasn't posted as they are all pretty dead by the end of the days - they do have a pretty agressive schedule. Maybe he can find enough energy to share some pics from the last couple days as they sound like there should be some really great ones.

Dave

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68687 07/12/03 02:36 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A post card of Point Vicente arrived from the Pixie today "Wish you were here! Ate lunch on the lawn. See you in San Diego."

I told Jakers it was important that he keep a diary. He said he would.

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68688 07/15/03 02:41 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Derith...I hope your trip is going along smoothly. Thanks for the card from Alcatraz.

I'll be glad to see you and hear all the details in San Diego. smile

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68689 07/16/03 12:21 AM
JoAnn Offline
Met with Derith and the LH Marathoners today at North Head LH in WA.It was great to put faces to familiar names and to renew aquaintances with those met previously.All seemed to be having a great time!I left them after lunch. They were headed to Cape D LH.In spite of rain forecast the last two days it hasn't happened,weather is sunny and warm!
JoAnn

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68690 07/16/03 12:28 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for that report JoAnn! They must be about ready to head for home from Portland soon!

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68691 07/16/03 08:21 PM
Shirin Offline
Received a card from Ron and MJ Foster yesterday from Alcatraz. Sounds like everyone is having a great time!

Shirin
Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68692 07/16/03 11:40 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Just spoke with the Pixie. They are within 25 miles or so of their last hotel. They fly home tomorrow (except for a certain retired Chief). She reports that the weather has been great, and the lighthousing first class. A number of them flew out over Tillamook yesterday. Sounds like she has a bus full of very tired but happy campers!

Dave

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68693 07/18/03 11:27 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We all survived, our long and grueling road trip, and are back at home now. I would apologize for not posting along the trip, but I doubt any of you would be able to understand what I type when my brain is only firing on every third cylinder. I will get a write up and some pictures posted by the end of this weekend, most likely Sunday, as I am still unpacking and haven't quite caught up on my sleep yet.

But here is a little teaser for Y'all.

www.lighthousekeepers.com/uploads/files/weasel58@tampabay.rr.com/flyover.jpg

Eric
Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68694 07/19/03 12:05 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey - glad to hear you all are back. I IM'd with Jakers a while ago and heard it was just great.

And Weasel - Getting a flyover of Tillamook must have been one of the real treats. And we're glad you made it back from there, considering it's now a columbarium.

We were thinking about everyone almost everyday.

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68695 07/19/03 12:15 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
'Bout time we saw some (a) picture, Eric! For all the reports and pictures we got during the trip we were wondering if maybe they were leaving you at Tillamook . . . . . .

We will all be looking forward to reading your write up and seeing your pictures.

Dave

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68696 07/19/03 12:41 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Our trip was just great!!! We enjoyed the bus driver and his wife, Joe and Sue Mountain, and the bus was very comfortable. They also enjoyed us and were stunned at the lights, lens and locations.

All the travelers got home safe and sound. Personally, I hated to see everyone disband..but trips have to come to an end sometime. Ron and MJ Foster and Ron and Shirley Drummer went into Washington to see more lights and have a little time with Elinor DeWire.

There were 51 of us on the bus and when the tour was over, everyone said, "let's do another one next summer." I was honored that they gifted me with a special edition of the Golden Gate Bridge. The security in Portland airport thought I was joking when I said the bridge was in my carryon. Then he saw it in the scanner.

The entire 14 days ran very smoothly. We were able to see 37 lighthouse(if I am counting correctly) and 2 lightships. Everyday we changed our minds about our favorite...but Pt. Sur, Pt. Cabrillo, and Heceta Head were the most mentioned.
We took two trips out on the water and 34 folks got to fly over Tillamook and some added going over Cape Disappointment and North Head. We were allowed inside 17 to climb or see the lens. Some were being restored....Old Pt. Loma, Cape Blanco, Cape Meares so we could not get inside. The others we saw, were not accessable for several different reasons, but we enjoyed looking and photographing them anyway. The gift shops that were open hated to see the group leave.

The hotels were very nice and accomodating. The food was tasty most of the time. We did not do a lot of eating together, as it was too costly for a group that size and everyone has different tastes. We stumbled upon several eateries that were great.

We felt like God was smiling on us the whole way. The sun was out almost everyday, except at Reyes, and we had no real woes, except a few colds. We only made three wrong turns the whole trip and they were in towns we weren't familiar with.

I took 400 digital images....many of our group took more. I am sure that Eric will post more later.

I am taking names of anyone who wants to go next year. We will fly into San Diego on the 3rd of July and tour until the 17th, perhaps the 19th. Check your calendars, and email me if you are interested. Booking early gets the best rates.

Now, I am off to the San Diego Regional....See many of YOU there.....until then.
Derith

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68697 07/20/03 01:18 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
DERITH RULES AS QUEEN OF THE TOUR GUIDES! HIP HIP HORRAY! cool We went places that I would never had thought I'd go. I climbed mountains eek that I never thought I could. Our luncheon tour of San Francisco Bay was not on a regular tour boat...it was a "FIRST CLASS YACHT" with waiters in tux's. It was a "royal treat."

We had the very best bus driver, Joe Mountain. His wife Sue came along too and she was such a dear person. They too help make this a special trip. They are now "lighthouse followers." By the end of the trip Joe had so many lighthouse pins on his lighthouse hat that I think he could hardly pick it up.

The Tampa Bay HL Collecters Club people are the best. Those of us that did not belong with this club were made to feel very much apart of this fun group.

It was great having Elinor DeWire along too because she gave us so much history on the lights in OR and WA. She is also a lot of fun. She added an extra name to Derith's nickname, she calls her "Pixie from Dixie"

It also turned out well meeting and rooming with my new friend, Joy. I must say I was a bit apprehensive when Derith told me I'd have a roommate. My first thoughts were, " I sure hope he's nice" :rolleyes: But of course it was okay that Joy was a girl. laugh

The other great thing about this whole trip for me was that I was able to spend a lot of time with a great cool guy, Jakers (Stephen) It's so hard to believe that he will be off to college in September.

The one thing I know you are all waiting for here, I have to say, I still do not know how to post pictures here on the Forum. shocked Maybe someday I will learn how to do this. Hopefully one of our other WACKO friends from the trip will add some pictures.

If you ever thought about doing this trip and didn't make it to this one...I can highly recommend you taking the next year tour. I can sum it all up into one big word... AWESOME! cool
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68698 07/20/03 03:42 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Ruthie - bring me some of your pictures when we meet tomorrow. I'll post 'em for y'all.

"Pixie from Dixie"... cute, very cute.

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68699 07/20/03 10:10 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Derith, the gold Golden Gate shows the group appreciated all the work you put into planning the trip. Glad that everyone is home safely and sorting thru all their pictures so we can see some posted real soon.

Dave

Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68700 07/20/03 11:11 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here's a few photos of the group on tour. I'll post photos of lighthouses in another thread. These were taken with my digital camera and I have to scan and post the images from the film camera...

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: The West Coast Lighthouse Marathon... #68701 07/20/03 11:13 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looking forward to seeing more pictures from the trip!

Jim

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users