Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
climbed my first light! #68279 08/15/99 03:35 AM
chris g Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We just returned from a great trip to the southeast. Our main objective for the trip was to view Civil War historical sites (we visited 8) and to take the kids to Orlando, but we also got to see 3 lighthouses along the way. I talked my husband into visiting Ft. Pulaski, which happens to be home to Tybee Island light and Cockspur Island light. What a fringe benefit for me.

I am afraid of heights, but somehow managed to make the climb up St. Augustine light in Florida. My son counted the steps all the way up- my daughter also helped encourage me to make it to the top. Got there just in time to see a storm rolling in- what a magnificent sight! Couldn't bring myself to go out on the deck- it was a small victory just for me to make it to the top!

I didn't climb Tybee- due to the heat/humidity, not the height- but hope to make another climb sometime in the future. My kids can hardly wait either!

Chris G
Re: climbed my first light! #68280 08/15/99 11:22 AM
L
LuvLights2 Offline
L
Congratulations, on your two magnicifent feats. That'a a good sized lighthouse fro someone who say's they're afraid of heights. The question is can you climb just one? You must find it in you to make it Cape Hatteras after it's re-opened.

Re: climbed my first light! #68281 08/15/99 12:06 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Way to go Chris! Overcoming fear to enjoy the view!

St. Augustine was a great climb and the view from the top was spectacular. And that 'red' sure is 'red' at the top. [Sure made my knees week up there on the walkway!!!]

Climbing Ponce was a bit easier on the weak kneews, the walkway is entirely enclosed in fencing - but that limited the photography opportunities.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 08-15-99).]

Re: climbed my first light! #68282 08/15/99 01:07 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You picked a great Light to climb your first time Chris. I had to visit St. Augustine, 3 times before I got there on a day and time, they where open. Got there to late the first time and the second they weren't open. However when I finally got to the top, I decided the view had been well worth the wait.
Also the only time I stoped at Tybee they were closed due to a storm. I just don't have any luck on some trips.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 08-15-99).]

Eric
Re: climbed my first light! #68283 08/15/99 01:18 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations, on climbing your first tower, St Augustine was my first climb also, plus it was the first lighthouse I had ever seen. I was nine years old at the time (now 54) and on a vacation with my family in Florida. I climbed Ponce the next day and was well on my way to Wackodom.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: climbed my first light! #68284 08/15/99 09:35 PM
JoAnn Offline
Congratulations Chris on your two victories!
St Augustine was closed[tower]for painting when I was there in June.Looking forward to returning & climbing someday.

Re: climbed my first light! #68285 08/16/99 12:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Chris,
Congratulations on climbing St. Augustine.
I, too, am a little dubious of climbing any of those tall towers. Once I have gone up I am so glad that I did but my knees become like jelly. When I climbed Cape Henry, I asked a family who was up at the same time I was if I could go down in the middle of them like I was a member of their family.

I am talking to myself big time so that I will be ready to climb Saeplo on Friday, the 20th--also Barnegat and Cape May when I am there in October..

I know there are not nearly as many steps in North Head, but boy what a view.
Derith

Re: climbed my first light! #68286 08/16/99 02:10 AM
P
Pam Baggett Offline
P
Chris,
I was delighted to meet you when you visited Clarksville while on your way south. A special e-mail is on it's way to you. I love this forum because we would never have met otherwise.

John: thank you for creating this forum for the reason above and for the spectaular pictures you provided of St. Augustine. They are breathtaking!

Derith: I can't wait until October...looking forward to climbing Baragat and Cape May also. We are going to have a great time jelly knees and all.

LuvLights2: I know from experience; you can't climb just one! I am addicted. I live for the next climb.

Pam

Pam B.
Re: climbed my first light! #68287 08/16/99 02:25 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
CHris,
Congratulations on your first climb! You picked a beautiful tower to climb. I'm sure you will find many more towers to climb and enjoy. As they say, "Bet you can't climb just one!"

Dave

Re: climbed my first light! #68288 08/16/99 10:46 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations on your first climb Chris. I find it makes you feel more involved with the LH after a climb.
Jimmy Stewart would be proud (Vertigo, Hitchcock).

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-16-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: climbed my first light! #68289 08/16/99 02:14 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Way to go Chris!!!!

There is nothing like standing in the lantern room or out on the landing of a tall, magnificent Atlantic coast tower.

I never get tired of being on top at the Fire Island light. Every time you go up it's a different view.

I hope you plan on many more climbs !!!

Re: climbed my first light! #68290 08/16/99 09:41 PM
N
Noelle Offline
N
Congrats Chris,
I know now you will want to climb every one you see.
On National lighthouse day my 5 year old daughter climbed her first light, Old Field
(thanks to Mike who arranged the visit for all). For those of you who were there, you saw a transition from "no, I want to stay inside", to "can we go back up again...can we PLEASE go back up again?" I know she will want to climb as many as possible. On the way home she had already started planning our next lighthouse climb.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users