Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68252 06/19/05 09:51 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We got up the next morning and started on our way down the Coast again heading South with our final destination Bandon, OR.

We got to Cape Meares about an hour early to get into the Lighthouse (can't win your either early or late for this stuff sometimes). It's a short hike down (literally) to the Lighthouse. this is one that it's difficult to get a full view photo of.

This first one I took on the path down to the Lighthouse-

Cape Meares Lighthouse-

There are some stops along the way where you can take a look at the birds on the rocks below the bluff the Lighthouse is on. The trip up on the other path gives your views of some places that seals like to lie about.

Here's the best shot I could mange of the Lighthouse.

Cape Meares Lighthouse-

We took our leave of this spot and continued trekking Southward. Our next stop was Yaquina Head Lighthouse. This is in a nice state park that includes some tide pools that you can walk down to and get a close up view of some of the marine life- including the seals. Esther took a walk down there, I did not.

The Lighthouse has been nicely restored and is open to climb- if you meet the standards of the docent there. He doesn't even like people putting their feet down on the steps too loudly as it reverberates in the tower and hurts his ears.

There was a long line to climb this one so Esther opted for the tide pools instead. Here's a shot of the Lighthouse-

Yaquina Head Lighthouse-

Our next stop was just a short drive up the road in the town of Newport- Yaquina Bay Lighthouse.

This Lighthouse ahd a very short lifetime - it was in service only 3 years and had only one official Keeper. the Lighthouse has been lovingly restored and there are many period pieces in the rooms of the house. It sits on the top of a hill overlooking the Harbor. You can see Yaquina Head Lighthouse from here- you probably can see Yaquina Bay Lighthouse from Yaquina Head but it is not as easy to see it.

Here's a photo of Yaquina Head from Yaquina Bay-

Here's a photo of Yaquina Bay from the bottom of the hill it sits on.

We took our leave of this lovely restored Lighthouse and continued south to our next destination- Heceta Head.

The setting is lovely at the bottom of the hill it's on. It's a bit of a walk up to the Lighthouse but again the end is worth it.

We opted to not climb this one either as there was abit of a line waiting already. I should have planned this as a 3 day trip down and one day back up to Seattle or bit the bullet and got up earlier- although that wouldn't have helped at Cape Meares.

Here's a photo of the Lighthouse at the top of the hill.

Heceta Head Lighthouse

We continued south and stopped at the viewpoint that allows a spectacular view of the Lighthouse. We were able to watch the seals down on the rocks also.

Here's a shot with the Lighthouse light showing.

This brings us to the end of Day Two Part One.

Continued in Part Two-

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000934

Dennis

Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68253 06/20/05 12:01 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I adore Cape Meares. I could not believe such a little tower was holding a First Order lens...here is one of my shots from there...

Yaquina Head was a treat. I got holldered at for walking on that fragile grass...didn't realize they wanted you to stay on the paved walkways only. We were there on "Free Admission Day" so of course, the place was packed...although I only had to wait a couple minutes to climb the tower. Got some GREAT shots with my film camera and super wide 17mm wide angle of that First Order lens...here is one of the stairs of Yaquina Head from the bottom looking upwards.

You missed some great shots not hitting the stairs to the tide pools...

But I missed your perspective of shooting it from the Bay! Great shot there!

Yaquina Bay was hard to shoot with no people...we had one school group after another ahead of us. Patience paid off, and I got my shots. Did you go inside and see the lens?

Did you also see the path at Heceta Head to climb up behind the lighthouse and shoot it from the height of the lens? That's the hike I was saving my preggo body for...my mom was having a fit! It was so worth the view...

Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68254 06/20/05 01:59 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
"You missed some great shots not hitting the stairs to the tide pools..."

Esther took the camera down with her and got a couple of shots of the lighthouse from there- but they were not that good.

"But I missed your perspective of shooting it from the Bay! Great shot there!"

I might have missed it as well- Esther pointed it out to me. I looked towards Newport from Yaquina Head but at that time I didn't even think I could see Yaquina Bay from there- you might not be able to as the view of Yaquina Head is from the side of Yaquina Bay.

"Yaquina Bay was hard to shoot with no people...we had one school group after another ahead of us. Patience paid off, and I got my shots. Did you go inside and see the lens?"

I had problems with school kids and others there also- the parking lot at the Lighthouse was continually full and others walked down like we did from the Vistor's Center. I did not get up into the Lighthouse as the line was long and didn't want to wait.

"Did you also see the path at Heceta Head to climb up behind the lighthouse and shoot it from the height of the lens? That's the hike I was saving my preggo body for...my mom was having a fit! It was so worth the view... [/QB][/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that path. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I probably did less climbing and hiking than you did- Im just not in very good shape. I've got to work on that again.

Dennis

Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68255 06/20/05 12:46 PM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As my daughter will always remind me, Cape Meares is the "shortest and highest" lighthouse in Oregon due to its cliff location. It's probably the only lighthouse located near an "octopus" tree.

My wife and I went by Yaquina Head back in '92 before there was a state park. The light was fenced off and the tide pools had not yet been built. The hike to the beach was by well used trail with no wooded walkways. Off course, entry to the area was free then. When my daughter and I went in '01 we watched a grey whale feed just below the light. Some people got out of the light line to come watch the whale.

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68256 06/20/05 02:16 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob,

I saw that sign at Cape Meares- what is an Octopus Tree?

It's tough to get a clear shot of the whole lighthouse there because of it's position. It reminds me of both Point Reyes and Point Sur in CA- they both sit on top of high places and are very short Lighthouses but when you add in the amount above sea level they are quite tall.

Dennis

Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68257 06/21/05 12:24 PM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The "Octopus Tree" nearby is a Sitka Spruce (I think) that instead of a single truck has been split somehow and just above a short baseit devides into 6 trunks, 2 with a major side branch, that have all grown normally. All of them grow mostly straight and tall. Looks strange for the neighborhood. I just have to finish scanning in all these old pics some day.

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68258 06/21/05 07:22 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks Bob.

I'm sure if I google it I can find a photo of one.

Dennis

Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68259 06/21/05 10:48 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob,

Here's a site with a panoramic view of the tree-

http://virtualguidebooks.com/Oregon/OregonCoast/ThreeCapes/OctopusTree.html

I also gound a site that talks about Tree Octopuses. laugh

Dennis

Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68260 06/22/05 11:02 AM
Beaconfollower Offline
Great shots, Dennis. Thanks for sharing. smile

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Washington & Oregon Day Two Part One #68261 06/25/05 07:28 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I couldn't help but think of Teddy Roosevelt when I read the docent did not like heavy footsteps. When I visit I will try to "Walk softly and carry I big Stick!" (ha-ha).

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 805 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users