cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Long Island this Sunday questions #68015 09/17/03 12:05 AM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
We will only have a few hours this Sunday to do some lighthousing before returning home from the Regional. We will be staying in Hauppauge and probably set out at about 8am and I'd like to be on the road home by 2:30 or 3:00.

I've pin-pointed the following as possibilities, but need advice on difficulty, worthiness, accessibility, etc. Any and all thoughts, suggestions, experiences, warnings, etc. are appreciated.

-Old Field Point (parking situation?)

-Eaton's Neck (I'm calling the Coast Guard tomorrow morning to find out if I can visit)

-Huntington Harbor (I read that it is a "few hundred feet offshore"...does it face a direction that I could look at the nice side, or will I be looking at the back?)

-Cold Spring Harbor (not far from Huntington? is the old caisson worth it? can you see the lighthouse across the water on Centre Island?)

-Coney Island (can I get into the private community?)

-Fort Wadsworth (what kind of neighborhoods would I be driving through?)

-Staten Island (Accessible? Neighborhoods?)

Any other suggestions?

Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68016 09/17/03 11:04 AM
DMancini Offline
Larry:

Here is what I can tell about some (not all) of these lighthouses:

Old Field -- NO PARKING. The lighthouse is located at the end of a road (there is a turn around). The Village of Old Field does not like people going up to the lighthouse and parking on the side of the road. You most likely won't be able to get onto the lighthouse grounds (depends on who is on duty--the Village Constable lives at the lighthouse), but you can take a picture from the road. If you are allowed on the property, you will not be able to climb the tower. We've been told that the Village told the Constable that in order to allow people to climb the tower, he would have to have it covered on his own homeowner's policy. Suffice to say, he isn't keen on that!

Eaton's Neck -- best bet is calling the Coast Guard. You should be able to get on the grounds, but may not be able to climb the tower. Taking photos of this lighthouse is difficult, because there is CG housing all around.

Huntington Harbor -- yes, you will be looking at the back of the lighthouse and the boat dock from land. The Huntington Lighthouse Preservation Society was running free tours out to the lighthouse on certain weekends. Contact Jeff Urquhart at 631-271-3535 or jsailny@aol.com. He can tell you if they are running tours this weekend.

Cold Spring Harbor -- is on private property. I've only seen it from a boat (on our Gold Coast Cruise this past May), and it was still difficult to see. I'm not sure about seeing it from Centre Island...that would be a question for Mr. Scroope.

As for Coney Island, Fort Wadsworth, and Staten Island, I can't help you there...again that would be a question for Bob Scroope. I believe the 1880s US Lighthouse Service boat that we loaned to the National Lighthouse Museum is still on display at Fort Wadsworth.

Hope this helps! laugh

Diane
Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68017 09/17/03 02:20 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Cold Spring is on private property that the owner would like to keep that way.

Coney Island is a possibility but you have to talk your way past the security guard. Talk to me at the regional.

The others I don't know but I think Dave has plans for them Sunday.

I'll have some one day directions printed for anyone who would like them.

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68018 09/17/03 03:14 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Fort Wadsworth is in a nice neighborhood and there is plenty of parking. Staten Island Rear Range lighthouse is also in a nice location, but the people seem not to want a lot of visitors.

Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68019 09/17/03 04:30 PM
Shirin Offline
Ft. Wadsworth is not too bad to visit. And it looks great with the Verazano Bridge in the background.

Shirin
Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68020 09/18/03 09:59 PM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all of the tips.

I called Eatons Neck CG Station. They said to call them back an Saturday and let them know when I was coming.

I emailed the Village of Old Fields and received this reply:

"You may park on the grounds of the lighthouse in the designating parking area closest to Village Hall. There is no parking at any time on any of the Village Roads. You are free to walk about and enjoy the lighthouse property. which will enable you to photograh the lighthouse from any angle. Just note that the building itself is not open to the public and there are no facilities. Happy Shooting!"

Based on what I've read all over the internet, I didn't expect that reply.

We'll probably skip Huntington Harbor, maybe risk Coney Island, and I think I've been talked into Fort Wadsworth and Staten Island.

Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68021 09/18/03 11:13 PM
DMancini Offline
Wow, Larry, I too am surprised at the response you got from Old Field. They are normally very adamant about people NOT being on the property!

Enjoy your visit to Old Field! It is a nice spot.

Diane
Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68022 09/18/03 11:48 PM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
The email was from the Village Clerk. I printed it and am taking a copy with me just in case anyone gives me any trouble! laugh

Maybe it's because I asked nice-like.

Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68023 09/19/03 09:50 AM
DMancini Offline
That's great, Larry. We've asked nicely and haven't gotten such a positive reply.

I'm headed to Montauk today to take some photos. We were pretty lucky that the storm took a more westerly track.

laugh

Diane
Re: Long Island this Sunday questions #68024 09/19/03 12:03 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
You did good Larry! The only one you'll see at Old Field on Sunday is the Constable (or his wife) who live in the LH. We're heading to Eatons Neck this morning so I'll mention to the Officer on Duty that they 'll be some lighthouse people in the area all weekend. Sun just came out although it's suppose to be rainy and windy all day. Saturday and Sunday are predicted to be Sunny in the high 70's. Very little effect here from the hurricane, except for rain, wind, and high seas.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,270 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users