cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67979 04/20/02 03:50 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Saturday we had a little rain overnight but Sunday turned out to be another beautiful day, low 70’s. Linda and I headed north this time directly to Newburyport, Ma - well not quite directly as we missed our exit and had to back-track a bit. We’d seen all the other northern lighthouses of Ma previously in the spring and fall of ‘99 but hadn’t gone up to see these three. The harbor of Newburyport is 2 miles from the mouth of the Merrimack River. We drove east on Water Street until we spotted the first light, then parked the car on a side road. This lighthouse is the Newburyport Harbor Rear Range Light (1873).

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/75/35/9612149-389b-01C20152-.jpg

It’s not a active light anymore, having been put out of service in 1961 and sold to a
private individual. The 53’ tower is right alongside the building on the left but there is a space between it and the building on the right. Obviously the light’s been kept in good repair and it’s neat how it just sits there so close to the street.

We spotted the Front Range Light just next door on the grounds of the Coast Guard so we
wandered over to see if we could get in. The gate was open so we walked right in. As I was saying to Linda, “If we’re quick maybe we can get some pictures before we’re noticed” out popped a Coast Guardsman! It was fine, he said they just check ID’s and we
could check out the light and take photos.

This light is not the original one and it has seen quite a few alterations both before and after it’s decommissioning, also in 1961. It used to be located closer to the water out on a pier but a few years after it went dark it was relocated adjacent to the basketball court!

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/8F/36/9612175-9e21-01C20152-.jpg

Next we got back onto Water Street and continued on it bearing left which eventually
takes you Plum Island. This is quite a thriving community. The road goes left again and we just kept going until we spotted the active Newburyport Harbor Lighthouse.

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/78/35/9612152-ae0f-01C20152-.jpg

This 1898 wooden tower replaced two previous sets of moveable range lights, the earliest
dating to 1787. At one time there were even three lights on Plum Island! This light is on the grounds of the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge headquarters. There was a
parking lot so we zipped in and went over to the light through an opening in a wooden
fence. The Refuge folks have another building near the parking lot but also use the keeper’s house. As a car was there we didn’t wander too close. Major improvements
were made to the tower in 1994 so it’s looking good. It retains its 4th order lens and the light flashes green. As I was leaning on the wooden fence for another photo a piece of it fell off! Well, I think someone ahead of me broke it so I just propped it back up! Too bad the tree’s so big!

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/7C/35/9612156-2d80-01C20152-.jpg

We left, back-tracking our way, and headed north again towards Portsmouth, NH. From now on we took mostly the scenic route which is much slower but with such a nice day, why not? At one point I spotted a group of islands out quite a ways. Pulling over
and checking them out with the binoculars there seemed to be tall structures on all of
them. Hmm, could they be lighthouses?

As we had a map of Portsmouth we decided to stop by the Wentworth Home to see if
Connie Small was there. Unfortunately for us but fortunately for her, she was out
“attending a function”! We left her a message, then back-tracked again to look for the Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse at Ft. Constitution.

We found this light easily enough, parked the car and followed the directions to “walk on the green line” to Ft. Constitution. This route takes you through the Coast Guard base to the Fort. As we got part way there and looked off to our right there was Whaleback Lighthouse! (1872)

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/B3/37/9612211-a44a-01C20152-.jpg

The original light was constructed in 1831 but storm damage took it’s toll and
necessitated the building of the current tower. It’s lens has been removed and the light is a flashing white. This light is in Maine waters so they claim it. I’d say give it to NH, Maine’s got enough!

Way in the distance behind Whaleback are the group of islands that we’d spotted
previously. Wanting to know what other lights might be out there I accosted one of the Coasties who very nicely explained what they were. The island to the left of Whaleback is Appledore Island and the “tower” I’d spotted was a former sub-spotting tower.
http://www.seacoastnh.com/shoals/appledorepix/apple06.jpeg

The Island to the right of Whaleback is Star Island which houses a church and conference
center for the Universalist Unitarian Church. Maybe the “tower” I’d noticed here was a spiritual one?!

Just to the right of Star Island and just out of my photo is White Island on which is
located the Isles of Shoals, or White Island Lighthouse (1859). The first light on White
Island was constructed in 1821. After a storm in 1992 most of the structures associated with this lighthouse were destroyed and the following year Maine “gave” this light to NH! This light also exhibits a flashing white light. Well it is on White Island!

Here’s a great site if you want to read more about this group of islands:
http://www.seacoastnh.com/shoals/index.html

We continued along to the fort and I climbed up a little hill to get photos of the
Portsmouth Harbor Light (1877).

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/98/36/9612184-1ea4-01C20152-.jpg

This is the 4th light at this location if you count the first “lantern on a pole” that was erected in 1771 when the fort was controlled by the British and called Fort William and Mary. Portsmouth is also where Paul Revere made a “not as famous” ride to warn the colonists of plans to strengthen the Fort. They then attacked the Fort and made off with the supplies. This light is, of course the last “lighthouse home” of Connie Small and she still resides quite close to it. Here we have a green fixed light.

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/A2/36/9612194-9bf0-015201C2-.jpg

Climbing another small hill offered an opportunity to catch Whaleback between the
Portsmouth tower and keeper’s house.

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/A5/36/9612197-b916-01C20152-.jpg

We left the Portsmouth area and crossed over the bridge into Maine. Continuing north
along our scenic route we eventually got to York Beach. From the Long Sands area we
got our first distant views of the Cape Neddick (Nubble) Lighthouse (1879). We easily found the road that took us out to the light.

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/85/35/9612165-0902-015201C2-.jpg

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/8A/36/9612170-cb76-01C20152-.jpg

This light station is awesome! There are no photos I’ve seen, mine or any others that
indicate just how high the lighthouse is up on the Nubble Rock! This one must truly be
seen to be fully appreciated. The lantern room contains a 4th order lens, not original and exhibits a flashing red light.

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/6F/35/9612143-ddab-015201C2-.jpg

We left the peninsula and continued north a bit to the Short Sands area of York Beach.
Linda had wanted us to go up to the Lighthouse Depot but as it was now 4pm and Sunday I figured that they might not be open by the time we got there. Instead we parked the car and re-visited this beach town where we had spent a few days before, 21 years ago! It certainly didn’t appear to have changed much. We reminisced, visited a few shops, ate a lobster role supper and then headed home after another glorious day of lighthousing!

The next day, Monday, we spent the morning and early afternoon in Linda’s apartment in
Cambridge, she finishing up her taxes and me watching the Marathon on TV. I’d seen it
in person several times before and what with the close finishes the past few years TV is
the place to watch it if you want to know who wins. Fortunately for the runners the
weather was cooler and overcast after more showers the night before. But the sun and
warmth returned as the race ended and Linda and I went over to the Mt. Auburn Cemetery, a place I’d always wanted to see.

Mt. Auburn was the first “rural” cemetery in the U.S. having been consecrated in 1831.
It’s a wonderful, park-like setting, with rolling hills and a multitude of plantings, some of which were in full bloom. There are two beautiful chapels and various memorial
sculptures. There’s even a tower located on the highest point that you can climb. Some
people come to bird-watch. You can either walk or drive following more “green lines”.
Maps and other descriptive materials are available for a modest charge. Mt. Auburn has it’s share of notables, from Longfellow to Fanny Farmer and the “graves of the famous” are shown on the map.

(This was a good place to use up the remaining pictures on the film camera!)

The next day, Tuesday, Linda returned to work and I headed for home, and a heat wave,
after a fabulous weekend!

(The Massachusetts and Maine Pictorial Guide Lighthouse Books by Courtney Thompson
were excellent sources for this trip and provided much of the information given here.)

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67980 04/20/02 04:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for such a nice post, and especially the pictures. They are great! I especially like seeing the Nubble light, and someday I would really like to see it in person. It is a beautiful light. In my spare bedroom is a nice picture taken of it by another photographer.

Thanks again,

Ned

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67981 04/20/02 02:53 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great narrative and also very nice pictures.

Looks like you got a nice camera with a good optical zoom on it.

I agree that those books by courtney thompson are great. They have some very good info, pictures and directions to the lights.

You have to get close to them on your own and they take you the rest of the way.

Dennis

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67982 04/20/02 06:04 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great report Sue!

I really loved your photos. Great Job!

-Todd

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67983 04/21/02 11:59 PM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sue,

Thanks for the pictures and travelogue on your trip. I agree Cape Neddick has to be seen in person to understand its height. It is one of my favorite lights.

2beacons

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67984 04/22/02 05:32 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Thanks for the great pictures from your trip. Looks like it was fun.

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67985 04/23/02 12:11 AM
Shirin Offline
Sue, Day 2 is a great follow up to Day 1. Again great photos and great narative. I always love reading everyone's adventures.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67986 04/23/02 12:21 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Sue,

Thanks for sharing the second half of your trip. SOunds like fun. Great pictures and narrative.

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67987 04/23/02 02:44 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Sue,

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. We visited the same lights (but from north to south) a couple years ago on summer vacation. We were pulling our camper behind the big van, and I gotta tell you, it was a little crowded in several of those spots.

Glad you got the new easier to use digital - you're doing a great job with it!

Dave

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67988 04/23/02 10:30 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Great trip and pictures Sue!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67989 04/23/02 02:21 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the tour Sue! The pictures are great!

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67990 04/23/02 08:41 PM
DeDo Offline
Hi Sue,

Loved reading your posts! I've neve been to Martha's Vineyard but you make it seem possible for a day trip.

Of course, your latest postcard couldn't have tied it all together any better! Wayne & I enjoyed looking at all the points on the island that we'll have to see someday. The whole trip with your daughter sounded so nice.

The northern Mass. lights are on our list too. We did visit Whaleback, Nubble Portsmouth on our first ever Maine trip two years ago.

That's what I love about lighthouses, they get us traveling to all the little nooks & crannies of this world!

Donna

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67991 04/23/02 11:59 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Donna,

Martha's Vineyard Lighthousing is definitely doable as a day trip.

You just have to remember a couple of things- get on one of the first ferries in the morning, rent a car on the Island (4 wheel drive if you want to make it out to Cape Pogue)and try not to go in the height of the season (particularrly on a weekend).

You can still do it then , but finding a place to park the car in Vineyard Haven and Edgartown can be very difficult.

You should even have time to take the ferry over to Chappaquidic (or however you spell it). Watch out for that curve in the road .

Dennis

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67992 04/24/02 12:25 AM
Larry Offline
Thanks, Sue. Great pictures and great narrative. I'll probably use this as my guide one day.

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67993 04/24/02 12:43 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Got the rest of my film photos back today and they turned out very well also.

Maps showing the main island roads and of the towns and their roads are available in publications in the ferry office. If you go be sure to pick these up. Calling the C of C for their "free" info gets you nothing much but brochures for fancy places to stay. But their website has quite a nice lot of history.
http://www.mvy.com/

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67994 04/27/02 01:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sue-
Great job with this review! We made the New England Trip two years ago and your photos bring back some wonderful memories.

thanks

Harry

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67995 04/27/02 07:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW. Thanks for the great tour. I'm going out East, for the first time, this summer. I'll have to look for some of these great lights.

Roger

[This message has been edited by R Stam (edited 04-27-2002).]

Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67996 04/27/02 10:39 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures and story Sue.
Yu've gone south of me and north of me and I'm hoping to get to see some of these lights myself. I've seen some but not all.

Where are headed next and please post your pictures and tell your story. They're great.

Thanks,

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Patriot's Day Weekend Lighthousing - Day 2, Points North #67997 05/02/02 01:32 AM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sue,

I enjoyed reading about your lighthousing adventure. The photos are nice! (I think I'll have to get DSL soon because it took a long time to load them...)

I don't recall seeing photos of the Newbury Port Harbor Range Light or the light by the basketball court. They're interesting. The picture of the light by the basketball court is cool. It looks like a painting.

I just realized that this is day 2. I'll have to check out day 1.

Hope I get nice weather like you on my next adventure...

Tammy

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 792 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users