Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Connecticut and Long Island Lights #67792 10/05/00 08:23 PM
Sunshine Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I have four days Saturday, October 21 to 25 to visit lighthouses in this wonderful area and was looking for a idea of which lights I must see and an idea of which way to go first. I'll be flying in and out of Harford, CT. From the maps that I have it looks like there is a ferry from Conn. to Fishcer Island where my book says there are 3 lights. Also are there any of the lights that I should contact before I arrive to be able to take pictures.

I'll take any suggestions, of other attractions that I shouldn't miss, also.

Re: Connecticut and Long Island Lights #67793 10/05/00 10:48 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Sunshine, ... I don't recall any lights on Fisher's Island but there are some in the nearby waters. Last Columbus Day Weekend I took the ferry out of New London over to Orient Point on the North Fork of Long Island. It takes about an hour and you pass several lights during the trip.

Perhaps one of our local Long Island lighthouse folks will pick this message up and explain how to see the most lights in a limited amount of time. Long Island is a wonderful place to go lighthousing!

Bob

Re: Connecticut and Long Island Lights #67794 10/06/00 10:30 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Sunshine,
If you check the LI topics in this Forum you can get some good ideas to start.
See St Johns trip in August, as well as some of my trips.
The Orient Pt ferry from New London passes Avery Point, New London Harbor, New London Ledge, Orient Pt and Plum Island. On a clear day you can see Race Rock and Little Gulls in the distance. I think the ferry to Fishers Island will pass all of the above except Orient Pt and Plum Island, and add North Dumpling. If you land at Orient then you can get to Horton Pt, and take the ferries to Montauk and Cedar Pt.
As I said, look at past topics in this Forum for more ideas. List all for date range.
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Connecticut and Long Island Lights #67795 10/11/00 12:52 PM
Sunshine Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks for the info Bob on the lights near Fischers Island. The book and map that I have list them on the island instead of offshore. I'll hope to see them from the ferry to Long Island.

Bob Scroope, Your lighthouse adventures were amazing. I hope to be able to see all of Long Island lights either close up or from one of the ferries.

I'll post the results of my trip when I return.

Re: Connecticut and Long Island Lights #67796 10/22/00 06:53 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Sunshine spotting at Old Field Lighthouse!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Connecticut and Long Island Lights #67797 10/28/00 01:02 PM
Sunshine Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Just back for Connecticut and Long Island. I had a wonderful time even though I was lost several times looking for one lighthouse or another. Eventually found them all.

Met up with Bob Scroope at Old Field Lighthouse. Unfortunately, the Constable was just leaving when we arrived so we were unable to see the inside of this light. Bob was an excellent guide for our morning of touring the area around Old Field Point. When Bob dropped me off at my hotel he gave me great directions for finding Fire Island and Montauk. No more getting lost on Long Island for me.

I post more of my trip in a day or so when I've caught up with some work.

Re: Connecticut and Long Island Lights #67798 11/28/00 03:20 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Sunshine at Old Field Point LH - notice the foilage on the pewter tree!
The back

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users