Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maine Trip #67479 03/19/05 07:57 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Beginning to plan trip back to Maine to see some lighthouses. We will be starting at West Quoddy [my fourth corner] and working our way down the coast. Looking for suggestions on what lighthouses to see or not see. Thanks.
Darlene

Re: Maine Trip #67480 03/21/05 11:03 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Darlene-

There's two ways to attack Maine. First there's the "see 'em all" method, where you go to every single possible lighthouse or viewing point that you can. (Due to time, money, and distance concerns, this is how I most often lighthouse.)

The second is "Relaxed Lighthousing". This is seeing all the major lights, but skipping all the offshore, etc. ones. If you have extra time, or don't care about the smaller lights, this is your way to go.

I have an entire binder set up for a Maine trip, that I can just pull off the shelf and go. I have it pared down to three days. I have heard many people say that this is too little time. I figure I'll just plan a cushion day in there.

If you are planning to take many little daytrips around, instead of a constant route, then Bangor is the place to stay. It is central to the entire coast, and has an abundance of hotels, which leads to a good "home base". Plus, if you're flying in, it's right near a big airport, I think. It's also nice to be able to leave your luggage in the room while you go exploring.

From my extensive trip planning, this is what I have found to be good tips. I can't prove them right, however, as I have not yet executed this trip. Maybe one day soon, but not yet.

Re: Maine Trip #67481 03/27/05 12:19 AM
RFoster Offline
Darlene - when will you be making this trip and how long will you be in Maine?

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Maine Trip #67482 03/27/05 05:10 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Plans are starting to fall together somewhat.
Greg -- I too do the binder/research method prior to going on trip. Then use it as my journal to make notes along the way. Helps when I get home and start putting the photo album together.

Ron -- We are planning to be at West Quoddy May 28th/29th [Lubec Channel, Mulholland, East Quoddy [?], not sure about Whitlocks Mill at Calais. Then Hwy 1 down to Prospect Harbor, Winter Harbor, Egg Rock, Bear Island, Bass Harbor. Then head down to Penobscot Bay and on to Rockland & Marshall Point. After that into Bath then Portland and of course stop in Wells. Neddick and Portsmouth before heading to see Massachusetts lights at Boston and New Bedford. Some Rhode Island lights are also in the plans. Plan to return on June 11th.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,425 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users