Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help with NY Seaway Trail #67325 11/02/07 08:37 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
John's mom is turning 80 on May 17 next year. We thought we would fly in to Buffalo, NY and go along the NY Seaway Trail and end up in Catskill for her birthday.

Any help with suggestions and time needed to see the lighthouses along the route would be greatly appreciated. I want to go to Erie, PA and also have time to see Niagara Falls and then head east. I'm just not sure how many days we would need to see everything and then be in the Albany [Catskill] area by Friday night.

Also...how about weather that time of year. Maybe Sue or JJ can offer some suggestions and anyone else that has been to this area. Thanks a bunch!

Re: Help with NY Seaway Trail #67326 11/05/07 12:38 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Still looking for any help. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Help with NY Seaway Trail #67327 11/05/07 01:11 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Lorie,

Do a search for Seaway Trail Lighthouses which will bring up numerous threads. The 02/14/1999 thread references a book, as well as a couple of links that should give you the information you've requested.

Stan and I travelled the Seaway Trail a few years back, but we weren't pressed for time and were able to see quite a few.

Sandy

Re: Help with NY Seaway Trail #67328 11/05/07 01:25 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the suggestion Sandy. I have the information on the Seaway Trail. I just thought if someone had recently been there or lived in the area they could offer suggestions on time needed for the best viewing, good photo stops, places to stay or eat...etc.

Re: Help with NY Seaway Trail #67329 11/05/07 06:44 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I went a few years ago, in April 2004. We hit every land viewable (save maybe one) light in 3 days, including transit to/from NJ.

We started at Selkirk midday, headed up to Ogdensburg for the night, then back down the river and west to Buffalo. Hit the Erie lights the last day. You'd probably want to do it in reverse.

The only ones we missed were the offshore ones in the middle of the St Lawrence/Lake Ontario "estuary." In retrospect, though, we probably could have gotten closer to some. We also didn't go into any lights, as everything was closed for the season/day.

It's a pretty easy trip - a nice, linear route, and it's pretty tough to get lost. A nice, scenic drive, too. If you start in Buffalo, then drive east in the line, I think that Catskill is relatively easy to get to.

It was a really great trip, and there's some really great lights. I'd love to get back to the area, especially to reshoot some of the St. Lawrence lights. I could go back to the Thousand Islands in a split second.

Will try and remember any tips I can think of. I think I have a digital trip log somewhere I can try and rebuild and put on my website (more info on which is to come soon).

Re: Help with NY Seaway Trail #67330 11/05/07 10:35 PM
Lorie Roe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the help Greg. I'll watch for your next posting. It sounds like if I plan 5-6 days, I should easily see most the lighthouses and be able to stay in Niagara Falls and do a tour there for a day.

Re: Help with NY Seaway Trail #67331 11/18/07 01:32 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Didn't mean to ignore you Lorie. Just haven't had much time lately to post. I can't really offer much help as far as how long the trip takes as being closer to some of the lights than others I haven't actually traveled the whole route in one fell swoop. Once you get past Oswego you would have to head north so if you run out of time you could save that portion of the Trail for another time? If you have time to continue you can head over to I87 for an express route south. I wouldn't worry about where to eat or sleep, just enjoy the trip and stop where you feel like it. Most of the "Trail" is through low profile areas so you might find some B & B's that appeal. Oswego has motels and some nice restaurants. Check ahead on the days/hours when the individual lighthouses that are open are open. For instance if you hit Dunkirk when it's not open you'll have to settle for a view through a fence. Early to mid May should be decent weather but this is Upstate NY so be prepared for anything! And do let me know when you are close. I'd love to meet up with you and John. I can be in Oswego in 35 to 40 minutes. smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users