cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67131 07/17/06 08:20 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I'm sailing along somewhere off the south coast of England making our way from Le Havre, France to Cork, IR.

We arrrived in the UK on Tuesday 7-11 and spent some days in London and went down to see a friend in Brighton on Friday. We got to see our first UK Lighthouse that day when our friend Mari drove us over to the Shoreham Middle Pier Range Rear Lighthouse. It'd not a very tall one and is in need of some loving care but I did get some photos- unfortunately I don'y have them off the camera yet and won't for a good bit of time.

http://shoreham.adur.org.uk/lighthouse.htm

We sailed from dover, UK the next day and I saw several lighthouses in the harbor-

Dover breakwater

Dover Breakwater West End

http://www.lhdepot.com/database/uniquelighthouse.cfm?value=4419

Dover breakwater Knuckle

http://www.trabas.de/bilder/band_a/gross/A0926.jpg

Prince Of Wales Pier

http://www.trabas.de/bilder/band_a/gross/A0902.jpg

and I believe a distance view of the South Freland High Lighthouse. I was otherwise occupied when we left port so I'm not sure on that one. I have some nice photos of the others, though.

We pulled into Le Havre about 7 AM on Sunday and I got out on deck just as we went through the breakwater with a light on either side-

Nouvelle Digue Sud- Green light

Nouvelle Digue Nord - Red Light

http://robert.carceller.free.fr/lum20/phare/pag634.html

These lights are called Nouvelle as they replaced lights destroyed during the Second World War.

We spent Sunday traveling to Paris and taking a bus tour of the city and then a lunch cruise on the Seine. We finished the day with about an hour of free time in the area of the eiffel Tower.

We got a surprise on the bus ride back to Le Havre Esther looked over to the right and saw a lighthouse on the river Seine- the Tancarville Light.

http://robert.carceller.free.fr/phare04/pag789.html

I'm hoping to get to see some more as we come into cork or when we go on our escursion in Cork. The same holds true for the rest of the ports and some of the excursions. I'll add to this as I get to some more.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67132 07/17/06 02:33 PM
beachcomber Offline
What a trip! You must be having a wonderful time, Dennis. Thanks for all the links. European lights are so different and beautiful - I especially liked the Feu de Tancarville.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67133 07/18/06 01:05 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis...you're on about the same route that John and I took last year on our cruise in July 2005.

There are plenty of lighthouses to see in Ireland, Scotland, and Norway if you're going in that direction. We also went into the port of Amsterdam and there are 2 lights you can see when you enter or leave from there.

Enjoy your trip.

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67134 07/18/06 02:47 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:
Dennis...you're on about the same route that John and I took last year on our cruise in July 2005.

There are plenty of lighthouses to see in Ireland, Scotland, and Norway if you're going in that direction. We also went into the port of Amsterdam and there are 2 lights you can see when you enter or leave from there.

Enjoy your trip.
Lorie,

I'm sitting in Cobh Harbor (pronounced Cove) near Cork. I missed the one on the way into the harbor (I was taking a shower at the time- Esther saw it and got some pictures of it )but I'm going to try and see it in about an hour or so when we depart.

The name of this one is Roche's Point-

http://www.cil.ie/flat_areaEQLlighthousesAMPLighthouseIDEQL42_entry.html

I got up on deck just in time to see the small one in Cobh Harbor and I got some photos of it. This one is called Spit Bank and it's one of the last screwpile type lighthouses in Ireland

http://www.trabas.de/bilder/band_a/gross/A5736.jpg

We went to Kinsale today but didn't have enough free time to take a cab out to see the lighthouse there. We did stop at Charles Fort and saw it from the rear- at least the very top of it.

http://www.lanternroom.com/lighthouses/ireland/ireld35.htm

We will be cruising to Dublin this evening and then on to Glasgow and from there bck to Belfast. We will also be in Olden, Bergen, Geiranger and Hellesylt norway and Copenhagen, Denmark.

I'd appreciate any input you might remember about any of those areas- I left my list of posssible ones to see on my computer desk at home.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67135 07/18/06 03:10 PM
beachcomber Offline
Really enjoyed these links, particularly the story about Roche's Point - one of my friends is from Kinsale, County Cork.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67136 07/19/06 02:27 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Grace:
Really enjoyed these links, particularly the story about Roche's Point - one of my friends is from Kinsale, County Cork.
Grace,

Kinsale is a very beautiful little town. I wish we had more time there but we only had 45 minutes.

We did get to walk around a bit and there was even a market day going on in the "downtown" area.

I woke up this morning with my very own lighthouse right outside my window in Dublin Port. It's called the North Wall Quay-

http://www.trabas.de/bilder/band_a/gross/A5894.jpg

I have some photos of it. Esther was up on deck taking a walk and got to see two additional ones that I'm going to see on our way out of the harbor- I'm on vacation and I'm not getting up that early.

Here's the first one she saw- Poolpeg Light.

http://www.ipl.org/div/light/IRE/Poolbeg.html

Here's the second one she saw-

North Bank Lighthouse-

http://indigo.ie/%7Eeaglejr/northbank.htm

She also saw the third one as well.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67137 07/19/06 02:53 PM
beachcomber Offline
That's what vacations are for - rest and relaxation! I'm glad you have the time to post; it's like being there with you. Can't wait to see your own pictures!

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67138 07/19/06 09:39 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis,

I am assuming that you will be going into port in Greenock, Scotland when you go to Glasgow. The lighthouse in Greenock is called the Cloch Lighthouse. You can take a free tour to see the lighthouse from the visitor's booth when you get off the ship. You can easy see it when you enter or leave the port.

You can see the Blackhead Antrim lighthouse going in to Belfast. Another lighthouse that can be seen is Hellisoy Fyrstasjon lighthouse in Fedje, Norway. I'm pretty sure this lighthouse can be seen when you leave Bergen, Norway on the way to Hellesylt, Norway.

Enjoy all the beautiful fjords, waterfalls and glaciers in Norway. They are just gorgeous.

This waterwall is outside of Flam, Norway. You can see it from riding the Flam Railroad.

This is the Briksdalen Glacier, an arm of the Jostedals Glacier. We stopped here on a tour starting from Geiranger, Norway and ending at Hellesylt, Norway.

There are lots of lighthouses seen from the distance but were too far away to get decent pictures.

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67139 07/19/06 10:13 PM
beachcomber Offline
Beautiful pictures, Lorie!

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67140 07/20/06 01:20 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like a grand trip Dennis. Thanks for providing the links so we can follow along.

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67141 07/20/06 12:26 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Dennis,

I am assuming that you will be going into port in Greenock, Scotland when you go to Glasgow. The lighthouse in Greenock is called the Cloch Lighthouse. You can take a free tour to see the lighthouse from the visitor's booth when you get off the ship. You can easy see it when you enter or leave the port.

You can see the Blackhead Antrim lighthouse going in to Belfast. Another lighthouse that can be seen is Hellisoy Fyrstasjon lighthouse in Fedje, Norway. I'm pretty sure this lighthouse can be seen when you leave Bergen, Norway on the way to Hellesylt, Norway.

Enjoy all the beautiful fjords, waterfalls and glaciers in Norway. They are just gorgeous.

This is the Briksdalen Glacier, an arm of the Jostedals Glacier. We stopped here on a tour starting from Geiranger, Norway and ending at Hellesylt, Norway.

There are lots of lighthouses seen from the distance but were too far away to get decent pictures.
Lorie,

I got up on deck this morning just in time to see the Cloch Lighthouse. We took a tour of glasgow this morning and I saw two smaller aids to navigation on the way and tried to get photos on the way back- unfortunately I couldn't get any good ones.

I hired a taxi and went back there to get some shots. The two lights there are called-

Port glasgow Light

http://www.lhdepot.com/database/uniquelighthouse.cfm?value=2332

Steamboat Quay Light

http://www.lhdepot.com/database/uniquelighthouse.cfm?value=4216

We also went up to the Cloch Lighthouse. It's a private rsidence but the taxi driver knocked on the door and asked the lady there if we could come in and take a look around. she graciously let us into the grounds and we also got into the first floor of the old keeper's House where her daughter lives.

I'll try and see the Lighthouse going into or out of Belfast and we will be in Hellsylt nd Bergen as well.

We'll also be going to the Briksdalen Glacier on an escursion from Geiranger to Hellesylt.

I'm sure many are too far away to see where we are going. I'm hoping to see some while on the way into or out of copenhagen as well.

Thanks for the information- I'm sure it will come in handy.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67142 07/20/06 01:54 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis...

Here's a couple of pictures of the lighthouses you should be able to see.

This is the Blackhead Antrim Lighthouse in Belfast. You can see it as you leave Belfast but it is not too close. You need a zoom lens.

This picture is the Hellisoy Fyrstasjon Lighthouse in Fedje, Norway. Stay out on deck while you leave Bergen and you will see this lighthouse.

This is Roches Point Lighthouse that you have already seen from Cork, Ireland.

One other tidbit...when our ship was docked in Copenhagen, the famous statue of "The Little Mermaid" was right in front of the bow of the ship.

I hope you're enjoying your trip as much as we did last summer. smile

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67143 07/20/06 01:55 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow! Grest trip, Dennis. I like your philosophy about not getting up too early on vacation. We end up getting up early each time so we can get in as many lighthouses as possible. Then when we return home we need a vacation to catch up on the rest we lost from our lighthouse vacation!
Judy

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67144 07/20/06 03:22 PM
beachcomber Offline
European lights are so unusual; the geometric design of those last two is reminiscent of a couple of ours, though. We are really enjoying your trip, Dennis.

Great pictures, Lorie!

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67145 07/20/06 04:11 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Lorie,

I have a 12X optical zoom on my camera. Looks like your's was a bit better, though.

Thanks for the tips. I figure I'll get the Belfast light on the way out as I've gotten most of them.

I'm going back up on deck soon hopefully to see one of the lighthouses on the Mull of Kintyre.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67146 07/25/06 03:09 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well, some things went well and some didn't.

I do believe I got the Lighthouse on the Mull of Kintyre- but unfortunately I don't think I got anything in Belfast.

The ship went into a giant fogbank just as we got to the mouth of the river in Belfast and everything was obscured. I think I might have seen the Black Head Lighthouse for a moment but I'm not sure it shows up in the photos. I do have some great ones of a smokestack for what I believe is a power plant as well as some ships coming out of the fog.

I wasn't very lucky on our first two stops in norway but I got some very nice shots of the lighthouse coming out of Bergen- unfortunately my camera's zoom lens is not as good as Lorie's. I got a shot of the Pilot ship in front of the lighthouse, though.

I'm not complaining. I've gotten at least one lighthouse in every country with the exception of Northern Ireland and technically that's part of the UK so it counts.

I'm hoping to get some danish lighthouses and even a swedish one while in the Copenhagen area.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67147 07/26/06 04:27 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Lorie,

My source - the norweigian lighthouse website- lists that lighthouse as the Slatterloy Lighthouse Station in Fitjar, norway.

http://www.fyr.no/fyra/slatteroy/slatteroy-e.html

You can actually stay there- only $1000 Kr per night. It does include 11/13 beds in 5 rooms, a kitchen, 2 lounges and a guide, though.(You even get 6 extra mattresses.)

You have to climb a ladder and bring everything in and everything out with you.

You share the island with some grazing sheep so any dogs have to be kept on a leash.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67148 07/26/06 06:48 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well I got to "see" some Danish lighthouses this morning. I was unable to get a usuable picture but I did see them with my binoculars.

We were passing the Cape of Skagen this morning and it looked almost like a ield of lighthouses- I found out why when I came back to the computer and searched for info on the lighthouse.

There are three lighthouses there as well as a military installation and a power plant. Here's a link to a site with some nice aerial photos.

http://www.geospectra.net/kite/denmark/denmark.htm#skagen

I'm hoping to get the lighthouse at Helsingborg Sweden this afternoon.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67149 07/26/06 12:33 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How fun!!! Sounds like my kind of trip! Can't wait to see your images when you get back!!

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67150 07/26/06 01:44 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like a very extensive trip Dennis, lots of countries? Please email me the specifics when you get back.

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67151 07/26/06 03:50 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Jen,

They won't be in the same league as your's but I'll still post them in early August after we get back.

Bob I'll give you as psecific information as I can- starting with the fact that it looks like Celebrity will not be doing this itinery in 2007.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67152 07/26/06 08:51 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis...you're probably right on the name of the Norwegian lighthouse. I have a hard time telling them apart as they tend to look similar. I had the same problem while I was on a cruise in Canada. Lots of lights and I didn't know one from the other.

Hope you're still enjoying the cruise. smile

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67153 07/27/06 12:33 AM
beachcomber Offline
Still enjoying your trip with you, Dennis. I want to see what kind of shots you were able to get with the Panasonic; I'm still getting used to mine.

Bob, new avatar. Tell us about it. I haven't been on the CFs for a few days, so maybe you already said something about it.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67154 07/27/06 05:27 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Dennis...you're probably right on the name of the Norwegian lighthouse. I have a hard time telling them apart as they tend to look similar. I had the same problem while I was on a cruise in Canada. Lots of lights and I didn't know one from the other.

Hope you're still enjoying the cruise. smile
Lorie,

I found trying to research the names of many of the lighthouses I'm seeing to be difficult and time consuming. The Lighthouse Directory website is a great resource but it's a little sparse on the Scandanavian countries and trying to determine which section of France, Scotland, etc a lighthouse is in when you don't know exactly where it is can also take time.

Then there's the fact that amny of the names of the lighthouses and towns are like greek to me.

The final reason that research will take place after I get home- the internet access fee is much, much lesss than here on the ship and the connection at home is faster and there are no glaciers in the way of the connection . laugh

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67155 07/27/06 07:13 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like Dennis is having a blast! Great reports Dennis!
The Skagen lighthouses are my favourites. We saw them on our travesl a couple of years ago, when we were "doing Denmark" with Iris (Lightshipfan) and her partner Dirk.
Have a look at our take on
the Skagen lighthouses

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway, Sweden & Denmark #67156 07/27/06 07:23 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Margret,

I'm hoping to get some better pictures later today on our way out of Copenhagen- the sun will be on the Swedish side of the ship so the Danish side will be well lit but not washed out.

Unfortunately we sail 2 miles away from the lighthouses in skagen so my photos will not be that great- I can get a good look at them with my binoculars, though.

Brain dead person that I am I kept forgetting I had them with me most of the cruise.

Dennis

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users