Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another Plan - South this time #67061 09/06/10 12:25 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Neither my husband Bob nor my daughter think that a trip north in November is a good idea, and most of the other comment I've gotten has also been not so encouraging. Plus I have another trip which Bob isn't so pleased about doing and I don't want to push my luck asking him to do two of them.

My sister and her husband have asked us to come stay with them in a condo in Key West in Feb. Bob doesn't think much of this idea although he did say that if I agreed to trade in my car which I really liked (although it was old - 1982) that we could. And although I hated to do it, I did trade in my car and have a new one for the first time since 1970 and even then it was a truck and not a car.

We normally prefer to travel by ourselves, and we don't even stay at our children's homes as a general rule. I'm not sure that the four of us will get along that well in an apartment, but I hate to disappoint my sister.

So I've been trying to figure out how I can plan a compromise. We have children living in the Charleston SC area, the Miami area and the Dallas TX area, and I'd like to visit all of them. I'd rather not travel more than 250 miles a day.

So - what I've planned. First go from here to Chincoteague. I haven't been to Assateague since I was on a Scout camping trip in 1955, and I didn't see the lighthouse then.

This is my sister (on the right) and her then boy friend - now husband and my brother-in-law in 1955. I am not in a bathing suit because I was suffering from a bad bad sunburn.

Somewhat confusingly, when I ask Google maps for a route, they keep sending me across the Bay from Point Lookout

to Crisfield on a ferry. Will there be a car ferry at that time of year (Feb)?

I would think that we could also see the Cape Charles light on the way down the Delmarva. I haven't seen that one either.

We have seen Old and New Cape Henry (2004)

And also Old Point Comfort (2000)

The next night I intended to spend in Henderson NC (to visit my mother's grave), but maybe I could swing by the Old Coast Guard Museum which I have only seen from the outside early in the morning. Would this be worth while?

From Henderson to where my son lives in Summerville is not too far. We would be here on the weekend.

Now I need to get from here down to Key West by about Weds. I was thinking about going to St. Mary's GA on Sunday to see the submarine museum, which we missed last time we were here because we had a good weather window and left earlier than we had planned. And also I did not get to go over to Cumberland Island which I think we can do on Monday.

Re: Another Plan - South this time #67062 09/06/10 12:39 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We have seen most of the lighthouses along the FL shore

except we've missed one of the ones in Mayport

Saw this one

but missed the other one. I also have not seen Cape Canaveral light, but I think it will hold us up too much to try to see that one. We will stay somewhere Tuesday night - don't know where yet. Maybe Daytona unless it is bike week.

Are there any river lighthouses in the middle of Florida that I could make into a destination (I'd like avoid Orlando if possible)

Then we could spend Weds-Sat with my sister and BIL, and then go back to Miami to see our other grandchildren.

I think we will do this but I still have not convinced Bob to go from here out to Dallas.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 641 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users