Next Thread
Print Thread
1950 Florida Lighthouse #66939 10/03/10 02:42 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko

This one of my dad's slides is just labeled "Old Lighthouse"

It was taken in 1950, and I thought it was the Cape Florida light before they painted it white but now I don't know.

Cape Florida light in 2005

It doesn't look exactly like Jupiter Light

And I'm sure it isn't

Ponce Inlet.

This was, of course, before the space program.

Was Cape Canaveral lighthouse ever unpainted brick like that?

Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66940 10/03/10 02:51 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by lgthouselady:
We are planning a vacation trip to SC, Georgia and Florida, I have never traveled in that area. There are many lighthouses to see and to best utilize our time I need to make an accurate itinerary. I have many Harbour Lights lighthouse replicas, one of them being a #10 Dry Tortugas, Florida. When it looked possible that we would be able to drive the Florida Keys highway, I wanted to visit the Dry Tortugas lighthouse. Well, today in looking at the travel book, it appears that may be impossible. Has anyone visited the Dry Torugas lighthouse, or is it not possible to visit this lighthouse? Our vacation will be approximately 17 days total.
Quote:
Originally posted by wvlights0:

You can get to Garden Key - Fort Jefferson lighthouse by ferry. Sunny Days Catamarans From there you can see Loggerhead Key in the distance. I'm not sure how far...haven't been there yet but I've been planning. You need a private boat to get near Loggerhead Key and a permit to land. For the reef light of Florida be sure to look at the maps and directions here Florida Reef Lights
I have gone to Garden Key several times - both in our boat and by sea plane when I came back on one of the ferries. I had intended to get a photo of the light at Loggerhead Key from the plane, but when it developed an engine fault, the best I could do was a picture of Loggerhead Key from Garden Key with a zoom lens

We talked to some of the campers who had brought kayaks with them and kayaked out around to some of the other keys around Garden Key. They also kayaked out and talked to the folks on some of the boats in the anchorage.

If you are going to bring kayaks you will probably have to come on the ferry rather than the plane. There are no kayaks for rent there.

Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66941 10/03/10 04:01 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, I am pretty certain that is Cape Florida. I think I am seeing the rough damaged brick masonry down low on the lighthouse and I think I can see the house back in the trees to the left. Lantern looks correct.
Kayaking out to Loggerhead...I hadn't thought of that. I am going to have to check it out.

Laura
Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66942 10/04/10 01:54 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by grandmaR:

This one of my dad's slides is just labeled "Old Lighthouse"

It was taken in 1950, and I thought it was the Cape Florida light before they painted it white but now I don't know.

Cape Florida light in 2005

I thought the proportions of the lighthouse were wrong - the bottom of the lighthouse looks wider (although of course we can't see it now due to the trees). Also the lantern room looks smaller, but I know that has been replaced

This is a 1925 post card that my grandfather sent my grandmother, and it is white here

I have found this old Coast Guard photo which looks the most like it.

Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66943 10/04/10 01:45 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Absolutely too cool picture of Cape Canaveral with the rocket blasting off in the distance!!

How many lighthouse folks have a picture like that?

Melody
Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66944 10/04/10 01:50 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by MelJB:
Absolutely too cool picture of Cape Canaveral with the rocket blasting off in the distance!!

How many lighthouse folks have a picture like that?
I hope I won't get into trouble for this, but that is a photo that I took of a display in a lighthouse museum - I think in Key West. Don't remember if it is an actual photo or just an artists idea.

Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66945 10/04/10 03:48 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Definitely looks like Cape Florida to me. I was also there about 10 years ago before the restoration and remember that adjacent beach that had a breakwater running into the ocean next to the lighthouse. The bricks were red at the time. I'll have to look for those photos.

Here's a 2010 photo

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66946 10/26/10 12:29 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would bet money it is Cape Florida. It can't be Jupiter because that lighthouse is on a mound. Cape Canveral has brick interior but is metal outside so that is out too. Too close to the water to be Ponce Inlet.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: 1950 Florida Lighthouse #66947 10/26/10 08:00 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have spent an inordinate amount of time disecting photos of all of the possible Florida lighthouses that this could be and I am absolutely convinced that that is a photo of Cape Florida. The lantern room is unique and unlike the others as well as the tapering of the tower is slightly different than the others due to an addition in the 1850's. The location at water's edge is also a very convincing piece of the puzzle. The lantern room appears empty, as Cape Florida was out of service and deteriorating from the time Fowey Rocks Light went into service in 1878 until it was rescued by Bill Baggs and others in the late 1970's. Like Eric, I also would bet money that this is Cape Florida.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,363 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users