cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Point Cabrillo Light #66778 02/03/01 03:52 AM
FrankB Offline OP
OP Offline
I am going to California & Reno in March and plan to see the Point Cabrillo Light (as well as other lighthouse and other sites). I have read that the Point Cabrillo Light is near Mendocino, is not open to the public, but can be viewed from the highway (which I take to mean State Hwy. 1). Can anyone give me more specific location information in relation to Mendocino (now far north or south)?

FrankB
Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66779 02/03/01 12:20 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Good Saturday Morning Frank,

I visited Point Cabrillo this summer and you can walk down to the light for a close encounter. By the time you arrive, the restoration may be finished. Take a look at this webstite. www.pointcabrillo.org/default.htm www.pointcabrillo.org/map.htm
This last one is a great map that will show the distance from Mendocino.

Another site is http://zuma.lib.utk.edu/lights/calif7.html

The only other advice is be strong willed when you are visiting, you will want to stay!

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 02-03-2001).]

Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66780 02/03/01 12:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
There's a neat animated photo of the restoration of the lantern room about mid-way down on this page:

http://www.pointcabrillo.org/restorchron.htm

It might take a minute to load -- the crane lifts the whole lantern room off and puts it inside a temporary building where it could be worked on over the winter.

Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66781 02/03/01 12:54 PM
FrankB Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the great info? I didn't realize stopping there would be so much more than a photo opp!

FrankB
Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66782 02/03/01 02:23 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Frank,

If you have time take a ride into the town of Mendocino.

You'll think you took a detour and are on the New England Coast. This is the town that they used for exterior shots for Murder She Wrote.

It's a nice plus to the visit of Point Cabrillo. Hope you enjoy your trip.

What other lights are you planning on seeing?

Let us know, and don't forget pictures are always nice. these places change from time to time, especially Point Cabrillo due to the restoration.

Dennis

Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66783 02/07/01 03:04 PM
FrankB Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks,
I was alrady planning on lunch in Mendocino, but I didn't know it was used in Murder, She Wrote (one of my favorite shows).
On Saturday, we will probably see Fort Point in the morning. In the afternoon, we will not be going to Alcatraz (although I have been there before), but will be taking the Bay Cruise tour, so we should get good views of the Alcatraz light and a view of Point Bonita quite different than the view I had when I hiked to it 3 years ago. I am also hoping the cruise gives us a view of the Yerba Buena light.
On Sunday, in addition to Point Cabrillo, we will be seeing Point Arena. (It is my understanding that we can climb this one.) If we do not see any whales from Point Arena, then we will probably also see Point Reyes, otherwise we probably will not as I have seen it before and it takes a while to drive to it from SR 1.

FrankB

FrankB
Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66784 02/07/01 08:16 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Hi Frank,
You can climb Point Arena. Check their webpage to see what the schedule is. We were there this summer and really enjoyed our visit. Hopefully you will have clear and sunny skies. The first time I was there, I realized the significance of the light, couldn't see your hand in front of you. This summer, the weather was great and the view breathtaking. The docents who spoke to us at the top about the light were just visitors who were staying in the area for a while and were sharing their love of the light and the area with others. Pretty neat!

Let me know if the cruise afforded you great views of Bonita and Yerba Buena. Altho' I have been up close and personal with each of these lights, I would like to see them from the water point of view.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.....
Derith

Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66785 02/07/01 10:18 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
If you are planning on going to Pt Cabrillo and Point Arena kep it mind it is a long drive to them from San Francisco.

I believe Sunday is the only day that there is any organized tour of Pt Cabrillo (unless that's changed, but I don't think so). Point Arena is open every day . They have a small museum there also. It is a guided tour of the lighthouse. At least it was this past May when we were there.

Both lights have websites. Check these sites
http://www.mcn.org/1/palight/
http://www.pointcabrillo.org/
http://www.ptreyeslight.com/lthouse.html

There are signs in Mendocino telling you about the houses used for Murder She Wrote.

It is also in the AAA California book. I'll see if I can find anything in my stuff from the trip.I kept alot of the brochures, just not sure where i kept them at thia moment.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 02-07-2001).]

Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66786 02/09/01 02:00 AM
FrankB Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the warning Dennis - I think I have allowed adequate travel time. We are staying in Petaluma. I am planning on 2 3/4 hours to Mendocino, 1 hour from there to Point Arena, 1 1/4 hours from Pt. Arena to Fort Ross State Historic Site, and 2 hours from Ft. Ross to the entrance to Point Reyes National Seashore. From there we go to Tiburon for dinner at Guaymas (a Mexican seafood restaurant) before heading back to the hotel.
By the way, do you have any suggestions on a place for lunch in Mendocino?

FrankB
Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66787 02/09/01 02:34 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Frank,

Sorry. I learned the hard way about the time factor.

I was unable to spend much time in Mendocino as I had to get to Crescent City that night. I had to skip some stops and still did not roll into town until about 8:30 PM.

That's why I say to make sure you have the time factor right. I used my DeLorme Street Atlas and it is set for an assummed 50 MPH on State highways. There are very few places on CA 1 that you can do that. It's a great drive, just long.

If you have a few minutes go to this link
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000127.html

It's a thread about our trip to CA/OR last May. Some of the picture links are outdated.Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Sorry about Mendocino. Maybe one of our California compatriots has a suggestion.

Dennis

Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66788 02/09/01 12:10 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 02-20-2001).]

Re: Point Cabrillo Light #66789 02/09/01 12:38 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
For what it's worth, I agree with Dennis and Sean. After three marathon(trying to see everything in a short amount of time)trips, this past summer I gauged myself and did Bonita on Sunday, Reyes and Arena on Monday, and Cabrillo on Tuesday....We stayed in B&B's on that coast road but enjoyed slowing down and enjoying all that is in our view. We were able to enjoy some of the local cuisine rather than sandwiches and Mickey D.

But, it is understandable that you are out there and want to do what you can while you are in the neighborhood.

I still can't get over how far it is out to Pt. Reyes and often very foggy.

Derith

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users