Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66694 10/22/02 05:55 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Continued from http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000557

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66695 10/22/02 06:30 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

I have determined that it is very unlikely that any of the card sets will be available. The number left will just cover the sets that have to be distributed to the volunteers and the Board is unlikely to go for the idea of selling complete sets.

The main reason for this is a combination of two things- keeoing the special idea of getting them for doing the Challenge and the fact that a minimum order for the cards is 2000.

So unless you find a volunteer who has more than 2 sets your unlikely to get lucky.

Dennis

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66696 10/22/02 06:42 PM
eskilady Offline
Larry - no, guess we didn't see your Jeep - the one we saw was all white, not blue on the bottom.

I am very interested in the MD Challenge and hope that this next year goes by quickly. So that is the NJ Challenge and the MD Challenge, but what about the NY Challenge - anyone know anything about past or upcoming events there?

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66697 10/22/02 08:25 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Yes the Challenge was fabulous, had a great time.
Met lots of nice people, sorry we didn't catch up with any forum people. Yes, we did see you Linda Ann, we were following you alot of the time! My favorite was Navesink. Even with the reconstruction going on, it was awesome. The directions were great, we only made a few wrong turns, but got right back on tract easily. By the way, Carol, I hope my pictures come out as good as yours. laugh

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66698 10/22/02 09:57 PM
Linda Ann Offline
Sheryl - you were following us? What do you look like and what were you driving?

It was rather disheartening to read that people had any complaints about the challenge. I had a great time and I thought the cards were great!!

From reading this board I knew that we had to get to Sandy Hook early as we definitely wanted to climb it, thus we were there by 8am. We had to wait about a half hour before climbing (the tour before us took 30 minutes, not 15) but Joe kept us entertained while we waited so it was no problem.

Looking forward to the next challenge!!

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66699 10/22/02 10:23 PM
Larry Offline
There was a nice little south-easterly breeze blowing at the top of Absecon Saturday afternoon:

eek eek eek

And for those interested, here's a link to a scan of the twelve cards each person received on the Challenge:

New Jersey Lighthouse Challenge Cards

It's a fairly large file, so give it some time to load. The backs of the cards have bits of info on each of the lighthouses.

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66700 10/23/02 12:54 AM
eskilady Offline
I think that one of the best parts of the whole weekend was meeting other lighthouse people like ourselves - finding them at the same lighthouses as we, talking, laughing, comparing the lighthouses. The worst part of the whole weekend is that we never exchanged names with these people we had such fun with and will probably never see them again! But on the other hand, maybe we will see them again - at the next challenge!! laugh

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66701 10/23/02 09:23 AM
Shirin Offline
I did manage to exchange numbers a few times with people from all over. One was just thrilled someone else her age was into the lighthouse thing as well. Like me she is usally one of the younger people at lighthouse tours/events/meetings. Others wanted more info about lighthouses and groups in their areas.

shirin

Shirin
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66702 10/23/02 11:04 AM
eastpoint Offline
Had a great time working the challenge at Eastpoint lighthouse. Met Ron Foster from NELL and had he had a picture taken of he and I. Also met Dan from Michigan whose forum name is Elmer. For the rest of you I was on the second floor of the lighthouse controlling access to the tower on Saturday except for about an hour when I releived the person in the tower for lunch. On sunday I was at the door first thing then moved up to second floor and then spent the late afternoon in the tower. I did have my badge on but it kept getting turned around on me. We had great crowds both days going through the light. Hope everyone had a good time and we'll be looking for you next year, hopefully with progress on the restoration. Windows should start going in next week.

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66703 10/23/02 09:17 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
East Point was one of my favorites, and I was disappointed that we didn't have time to get inside to see it. I wish there had been 2 lines, one to climb and one to just look inside and get to the gift store. Since Eskilady and I waited till Sunday to see East Point, we didn't have the time to wait. But it was beautiful. I love the setting around it, guess I will just have to go back for another look sometime.

smile

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66704 10/24/02 12:36 PM
J
JCRice Offline
J
Hello...

I am glad that everyone had a GREAT time in New Jersey this weekend. Here's a story about my plans on attending...and why I ultimately didn't.

Since the first time I heard about this earlier this summer, I had planned on making the trip. But, as I started to look into making my plans, I realized that the weekend fell only about 2 weeks before my wife's due-date (for the record, at this point, I hadn't spoken to her about this...I was planning on a weekend alone going "lighthousing" in NJ). I know...that wasn't very nice.

So, sometime around the beginning of October, I finally mentioned this "little trip" to NJ to go look at lighthouses. I told her that it lasts all weekend and it's a pretty special, once-a-year event and I REALLY wanted to go. After discussing it with her, we both agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea to be 3-4 hours away (if I was in Southern NJ) with a baby only 2 weeks away...her arguement was "what if something happened...". So, I quickly realized that it wasn't a good idea for me to go and started to set my sights on the 2003 challenge.

Well, as fate would have it...on Friday morning, my wife told me that "something was funny" and that she wanted to call the doctor before I left for work. The doctor told her to come on in to the hospital to be checked out.

We made it to the hospital about 8:15, the doctor told us that she was in labor around 8:30 (prior to that, my wife swears that she didn't feel any contractions/labor pains), and, by 1:50pm, our son was born (Alexander Henry...weighed in at 7lb. 8oz., 20" long and 16 days early).

Mom and son (and father) are doing well... Of course, I started to look at the calendar and realized that the 2003 NJ Lighthouse Challenge will fall on my son's first birthday...oh well...maybe I'll make the 2004 version.

--Jeff
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66705 10/24/02 12:49 PM
eastpoint Offline
Jeff

Congratulations on the birth of your son. laugh Just to let you know that at Eastpoint we had several families with very young children during the challenge. What better way to get your son started as a lighthouse lover than to spend his 1st birthday visiting the Lighthouses of New Jersey.

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66706 10/24/02 01:05 PM
eastpoint Offline
Sheryl

Sorry you didn't get to climb our light. Unfortunately we don't have enough room right now to have to lines but the society had our board meeting on Tuesday and that was one of the things we discussed doing for next year. When you are an all volunteer organization sometimes you only have a limited number of people on duty. I know what you mean about the setting of the lighthouse, a number of people on both days commented that this is one light where you can get a feel for what the keepers life was like because we are not in a built up area. We can thank the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife for preseving most of the area. Once we set our dates to be open starting in the spring I will be sure to post them here so maybe the two of you can plan another trip.

Hank

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66707 10/24/02 01:41 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Jeff,

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

If you can't make it to the NJ Challenge why not plan for the MD one- it's set for September and should be almost as much fun as the NJ Challenge

I'm hoping to do it next year. I'm just waiting for the details so I can make my plans. No worries about any deliveries early or otherwise for me.

Dennis

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66708 10/24/02 02:47 PM
Shirin Offline
Congrats Jeff!!! It is always great to hear that kind of good news.

As mentioned earlier there were several babies that made the entire challenge. Several dogs made the challenge as well. I don't know if I would have the patience to do the challenge with that kind of distraction. Plus, it cannot be easy for the children or dogs to sit in a car that long. I guess this is why I did the challenge by myself the first year.

shirin

Shirin
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66709 10/24/02 02:56 PM
Linda Ann Offline
Jeff, congrads on the birth of your son!

There were a number of children who seemed to be doing the challenge this year, along with their parents. Several children that we ran into at a number of lighthouses seemed to be having more fun than their parents and were very enthused about trips to the next lighthouse. Maybe if you get your son interested in lighthouses (at a very young age) you can make the NJ challenge an annual birthday trip. Now wouldn't that be great!

Once again, congrads to you and your family!

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66710 10/24/02 03:37 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The Lighthouse challenge is a great family event.

We had many parents and children come through and they were enjoying themselves.

I'm not 100% sure about the others, but unfortunately Sandy Hook has a height resriction set by the NPS.
That has disapointed many a small chid (and their parent).

Dennis

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66711 10/31/02 03:58 PM
Lighthouse Joe Offline
A day late (well, quite a few actually!)... Since that weekend, I have been running like crazy for my job. This is the first real chance I have had to post.

My wife and had a great time. We went got to eight lights on Saturday and completed the challenge on Sunday at Sandy Hook, numbers 7 & 8. We could have finished sooner but lunch didn't like me. laugh

The highlights for me were Eastpoint, Sea Girt, Navesink (even with the scaffolding up) and Sandy Hook. Sea Girt and Sandy Hook are beutiful. I can't wait to see Eastpoint completed and Navesink again. We have already made plans for a revisit.

The biggest disappointment for me was Hereford Inlet. I have been taking photos of this light for years trying to get it just right (day & night). We go in and NO CAMERAS ALLOWED! confused Huh? Excuse me? eek At $4.00 a head and they didn't even have the lantern room open. mad Time to find a new lighthouse to get "Just Right".

We did also get Conover Beacon. That is a different light.
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. When I get time I will list the web page for my lighthouse site. I just need time to build it.

Lighthouse Joe

Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66712 11/26/02 10:44 AM
Shirin Offline
The Challenge Report is now out for those interested.

shirin

Shirin
Re: 2002 NJ Lighthouse Challenge - Continuation #66713 11/26/02 09:09 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Wow sure sounds like a success. Thanks to all those involved. I know I sure had a great time.
Thanks, Shirin for the report.

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users