Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oregon & Washington Coast #66660 07/26/05 03:47 PM
Lou Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We made another trip to Portland last week and spent a day on the coast to close it out. Here are a few highlights.

I have a much better zoom this year, so I was excited to get a chance to get some shots of Tillamook Rock. Unfortunately, the morning skies were not too clear. These were the best I could do from Cannon Beach. Be sure to stop for the fish & chips at the Driftwood Inn.

Tillamook Rock

Tillamook Rock (a little closer)

After a couple of hours at Cannon Beach and a couple of hours at Seaside, we made our way to Astoria and across the river to Washington. There, we were able to see both North Head and Cape Disappointment at the same state park. It's nearly impossible to get a good angle for a picture of Cape Disappointment if you take the trail to the lighthouse (which is a very challenging uphill trail if you're out of shape). The best pictures come with a decent zoom lens from the back side of the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center.

Cape Disappointment

Cape Disappointment again

North Head

North Head again (note the chipping around the base of the tower)

North Head one more time

Re: Oregon & Washington Coast #66661 07/26/05 06:47 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lou:
After a couple of hours at Cannon Beach and a couple of hours at Seaside, we made our way to Astoria and across the river to Washington. There, we were able to see both North Head and Cape Disappointment at the same state park. It's nearly impossible to get a good angle for a picture of Cape Disappointment if you take the trail to the lighthouse (which is a very challenging uphill trail if you're out of shape). The best pictures come with a decent zoom lens from the back side of the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center.

Now you tell me after I walked 1 1/2 miles partially in the rain !

Oh well it was good excercise. It was also my own fault- I decided on this past trip (including WA, OR and Hawaiian LH's) that I wasn't going to drive myself crazy with too many details abotu when things were open, etc.

I skipped over the part on the Lighthouses Friends site that you could get a nice view of Cape Disapointment from the Lewis & Clark Intrepretive Center- and get to see a nice Fresnel Lens as well.

Here's a shot I took of the Lighthouse

North Head Lighthouse

You win some, you lose some.

Thanks for the nice shots- glad you had a good trip. It looks like WA & OR were a popular destination for Lighthosue Wackos this summer.

Dennis

Re: Oregon & Washington Coast #66662 07/26/05 07:16 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
You did a little better at Tilamook than I did - went past it going south and then when headed back north and the fog was pretty much thick enough you couldn't see off the beach! You did get a bit nicer weather once you got to Cape D!

Thanks for sharing your travels. I think all of us enjoy reading of others adventures and look forward to someone sharing theirs.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users