Print Thread
Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66624 12/04/98 10:52 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
If anyone ever passes along the North coast of Ohio or PA and needs some help on good viewing spots, directions, tour boats, etc. of any these lights...feel free to post. We have hit them all numorous times and could help out with some suggestions (except Toledo Harbor, West Sister Island, & Turtle Island..next summer's boat ride)

Old Port Clinton Pier Light, South Bass Island Lighthouse, Marblehead Lighthouse, Sandusky Harbor Light, Cedar Point Light, Point Retreat Light (private), Huron Harbor Light, Vermilion Light & Maritime Museum, Lorain East & West Breakwater Lights, Cleveland East & West Pierhead Lights, Fairport West Breakwater Light, Old Fairport Main Lighthouse & Maritime Museum, Ashtabula Light, Presque Isle Lighthouse (PA), Erie North Pierhead Light, Erie Waterworks Light, & Erie Land Light

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-06-98).]

Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66625 12/04/98 01:11 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Rod -- how about one of your detailed by-the-numbers write ups for a tour. Start at, route taken, time alloted, lunch at, etc. -- using one of the trips you've taken recently???

Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66626 12/04/98 02:06 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Can do, boss... I'll try to post one sometime soon. Maybe the 4 1/2 day Lake Huron trip from Marine City to Mackinac Island. 18 Lights up close, 4 Lights from a distance, 1 Lightship up close, etc.

-RodW
Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66627 12/05/98 12:48 PM
RFoster Offline
Need some help Rod. A friend at work traveled to Ohio recently (in the vicinity of Sandusky and Huron). He said he was in Columbus Park (he thought, after refering to an atlas, upon his return to work) when he viewed a white lighthouse tower with a red stripe in the middle of it. From his vantage point it appeared that the light (which he thought was conical) was located on an island or the tip of a peninsula across the water from him. We looked at my Eastern Great Lakes lighthouse books (Penrose Traveling Guide and the Great Lakes by Bruce Roberts and Ray Jones) but he didn't recognize the light that he saw on his trip. Do you have any idea what light this may have been? Pictures? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66628 12/05/98 03:04 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Ron, your wish is my command...
That particular light is the Point Retreat Condominiums and Marina Lighthouse, but others refer to it as the Faux Lighthouse. It is located on the east side of the long peninsula Chaussee road to the Cedar Point Amusement Park (one of the largest and most famous rollercoaster parks in the country)

The light is somewhat similar to Hilton Head, ie: A private light built by the developer, mostly for looks. It was built approximately 10 years ago at 70 feet high with an observation room at the top. Access inside the light or up close for good photos is restricted to the condominium owners only. A phone call to Lou Hibbard (female) at 800-860-4441 would possibly gain you access inside the light if you ask nicely.

The Condo web site with photos is:
http://www.pointretreat.com/index.html

A nice 3 or 4 day vacation to the area can result in seeing 5 or 6 lights close up, the amusement park, a large maritime museum, and a ferry ride over to Put-in-Bay resort island with another beautiful lighthouse.

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-05-98).]

Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66629 12/05/98 09:09 PM
RFoster Offline
Thanks for the quick response Rod. I am forwarding this info to my friend at work, to see if he recognizes the light as the one he described from his trip. As usual, Rod, you provided a very thorough post. Thanks again!

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66630 12/05/98 09:42 PM
Art Offline
Rod,

Any good lights to see near downtown Cleveland? My work brings me there periodically. I usually don't have a lot of extra time, but maybe something that can be done round-trip in 2-3 hours? Thanks a bunch.

{i]-Art[/i]

-Art
Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66631 12/05/98 10:34 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Art,
In downtown Cleveland itself, take E.9th Street (next to Jacob's Field) north to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame along the waterfront and park in one of the garages. If you walk directly behind the Rock Hall (water side) you will see the large cruise ship The Goodtime 3.

In the summer months you can board a 2 hr cruise that will take you directly in between the Cleveland East and West Pierhead Lighthouses. You will be within 30 yards or so of each one for some close up photos (dont waste your film at the beginning of the cruise. The end of the cruise is when it swings in between the 2 lights out into the lake and then back past them again into the harbor). Neither of the lights are connected to the mainland, so the cruise is the only way to get close to them. The rest of the cruise is also quite interesting down the Cuyahoga River for approximately 6 miles, then back. It takes you through downtown and past "The Flats" entertainment area, Jacobs Field, Terminal Tower, many of the old steel factories, and under 7 or 8 operating "lift" and "swing" bridges (which are worth the price alone. Watch the intro song on the "Drew Carey" show, most was shot from "The Flats" area with a few of the bridges in the background). It is quite a nice cruise on a clear summer day.

The Goodtime 3 page with prices & schedules, etc:
http://www.goodtimeiii.com/

Cleveland West Pierhead Light link:
http://members.aol.com/uslhswww/lccleve.htm

Cleveland East Pierhead Light link (incorrect label at site):
http://www.usalights.com/lakes/wbw-cleveland.htm

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-06-98).]

Re: Ohio & Pennsylvania Lights #66632 12/06/98 03:56 AM
Art Offline
Thanks Rod! I'll check it out next visit.

-Art

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,477 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users