Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66585 07/02/02 03:19 AM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
While on vacation my mother and I did a very long day trip of the lights of the Outer Banks. We skipped Worship service on Sunday (we did go to Sunday School though, like a good Southern Baptist), and drove down to Engelhard NC (on Mattamuskeet Lake), and spent the night with my cousin, got up at 4:30 and drove to Swan Quarter and caught the ferry to Ocracoke. I was a little disappointed with the Ocracoke light, but glad to be able to see it "for real" none the less. We then took the ferry over to Hatteras Is, and headed for Cape Hatteras light.
I am happy to report that crews were on site at Hatteras working away! The information we were given by the park offical was the engineers were targeting completion by some time in September, but the Park offical said the Light normally closes for climbing in Oct, so if the repairs take too long, folks will have to wait until next year to go inside.

We then headed to Bodie Is, got there too late to go inside, and the Park official had left so we weren't able to ask any questions about restoration needs, but got the pictures I wanted. Then it was off to Currituck. Sadly, we arrived 5 minutes after the light closed, and the gate was locked, so we could only see the light from a small distance.

After a quick Burger King dinner, we headed home, and arrived weary but happy. Definitely would not recommend all 4 lights in one day to anyone, unless you don't plan on making "any" other stops. The ferry from Swan Quarter to Ocracoke is approximately a 2 hours and 45 minutes, and the ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras is only about 45 minutes.

By the way, it was a scorcher that day in the mid 90's and high humidity.

The previous week, we drove over to Ft Story in Va Beach to see the Cape Henry's. New Henry is not open to the public, but in a very open area so pictures are very easy. The old light is across the street, and on a little hill. Open for climbing, (191 steps) but no len. Great views of the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic as well.

I found it very interesting that the new light is signficantly closer to the shoreline than the old light! There are stone walls in the water all along the shore line which appear to help with errosion.

A great day trip! Our only problem was we entered the wrong gate, but the gate guard let us in "since there weren't any MPs around" and the only weapons we had were our teeth! lol

Was a little cooler that day, low 90's but lower humidity.

MelJB.

Melody
Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66586 07/02/02 09:50 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
You really did do a lot of traveling in one day Mel. Sorry you missed Currituck, the climb and view is awesome! Did you have to reserve or wait for the ferries? Or just drive up? You must have got some interesting pictures?
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66587 07/03/02 02:21 AM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Bob,

We made a reservation for the ferry from Swans Quarter, but since it was a Monday, there were only 4 other cars. Cost was $10. This ferry only runs 4 times a day. We talked to the ferry Capt who said Monday's were usually to slowest, but reservations are always recommended. We called the NC Dept of Trans Ferry Div @ 800-293-3779 and was a good starting place.

The ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras is free, we only had to wait 10 minutes or so to board, and this ferry was full, but there can be long waits.

I took lots of pictures, should have them back by tomorrow. I'm getting prints and also getting them on CD for the first time, so I'll see if I can post some of them. As far as missing Currituck, I guess now I have another excuse to go back next year!

I found a great paperback book at Borders, American Lighthouses, A Comprehensive Guide, by Bruce Roberts & Ray Jones. $21.95 The book provides some history on each light, a picture, driving directions, how and when to visit, suggested spots for viewing, other near sites of interest and info on museums and lighthouse tours. This size was perfect (approx 8X5) for packing and carrying along on the trip.

MelJB

[This message has been edited by MelJB (edited 07-03-2002).]

Melody
Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66588 07/04/02 11:38 AM
Brent Offline
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip, Mel. I did the same think two weeks ago...the only difference being that we stayed at Southern Shores...which isn't very far from Currituck. Doing what you did in one day is pretty damanding, but, congratulations on you're achievement!! We were down there for a week.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66589 07/04/02 03:26 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
We have done it in one day... two days... one week and two weeks... Two weeks was the best by far!! The climb up Currituck is nicest tower climb I have ever done and I have done a bunch.. I visited Currituck four times before I actually got to climb it. I missed it being open by months and by hours on the other visits, make sure you go back when it is open.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66590 07/08/02 11:54 PM
sanibel
sanibel
Congratulations for trying this trip!! Please don't be disappointed with Ocracoke. It was never meant to be as tall or statuesque as any of the other lights on the outer banks. However, you cannot find a more charming village than Ocracoke. The pace is unhurried and the minute you get off either the Swan Quarter or the Cedar Island ferry, your whole world relaxes and slows to a nice even pace. There are a couple of wonderful restaurants on the island as well and a lovely smoothie shop that also sells stained glass windows from the UK and all around Europe.
Also, if you really want to try to do it all on the outer banks, rent a house for a week. It is cheaper than a hotel, especially if you split the rent with one or more families. This way you can spend a day at each lighthouse and have other adventures along the way.
Glad to hear you tried to see it all, but the outer banks is all about slowing down and shedding the layers of drudgery we all build up during our working time.

Eileen Dunlap
Charlotte, NC
Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66591 07/09/02 02:09 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like I'll have to go back. Drove up through the Outer Banks in May. Visited Oak Island, Bald Head, Okracoke, Cape Hatteras, Bodie Island & Currituck. Got to Currituck late in the day as it was closing and didn't get a chance to climb the tower. Couldn't get over to Capr Lookout either ... the winds were howling, the sea was rough, and consequently the passenger ferrys were shut down.

It will be hopping out there next year. Will be celebraing the 100th anniversary of the Wright Bros. flight at Kill Devil's Hill.

Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66592 08/08/02 11:12 AM
Ron Offline
Mel, Sounds like you had a great trip. We are heading there the first week of Nov. We will be staying in Duck,NC (near Currituck)and trying to see as many as we can.

Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66593 08/08/02 11:32 AM
K
Kyujin Offline
K
Sounds like a terrific trip. My wife an I did the four lights in one day and were able to see Kitty Hawk. We started from Norfolk and drove down to Currituck and was able to climb the tower. We stopped at Kitty Hawk and went up to the monument. We walked the grounds at Bodie since the tower wasn't open to climb. Same for Hatteras, but we did see the gift shops. Then around 7:00 pm we got to Ocracoke. After all of this we headed back to Norfolk. Quite a busy day. The following day we went to visit Cape Henry and Old Point Comfort.

Re: Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie, Currituck, and Cape Henrys. #66594 02/17/03 12:59 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Looks like fun! I think you have less problems coming down from Currituck, then hitting Bodie, Hatteras, and Ocracoke. That way, you don't spend all that time on the Swan Quarter Ferry.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users