Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Northern California #66579 10/04/07 02:09 PM
fra02441 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Can anyone tell me how long it woild take to do the lighthouses from Point Arena to Battery Point.Looking at options for Wed night to Friday afternoon flying into San Fran.

Re: Northern California #66580 10/04/07 03:10 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Fran,

The route from San Francisco to Crescent City stopping at the following lighthouses is about 425 miles and should take about 14-15 hours driving time. this includes no stopping time or hiking time which could add one hour or 7 hours or whatever it takes for you to be satisfied at each lighthouse

Point Arena- very short walk
Point Cabrillo- short fairly level walk out
Punta gorda- long difficult hike out to it
Cape Mendocino Replica- in Ferndale no walk to speak of
Table bluff & humboldt Harbor- in eureka no walk to speak of
Trinidad Head- actually Memorial Replica in Trinidad. Replica is right on road- real deal not easily accessible.
Battery Point & St George's Reef in Crescent city. If the tide is right not a problem. either way no long walk for either.

Coming back it's only 350 miles and about 10 hours.

If you use a mapping program make sure the preferences are set correctly. The majority of roads you use are state highways but you cannot go the expected speed limit- 50 mph- on most of these roads. California 1 above Point Reyes is the orifinal long and winding road with unusual obstacles at times- herds of cows in the road. you will average about 35-40 tops for most of this part until you get to Ferndale and hit 101 again.

Hope this helps. I took this trip a few years back- i know some have done it more recently. I believe there is a forum post about it in the last year or so.

Dennis

Re: Northern California #66581 10/04/07 03:46 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Fran, this trip includes those lighthouses.
Oregon/NoCal

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Northern California #66582 10/04/07 03:52 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:

Battery Point & St George's Reef in Crescent city. If the tide is right not a problem. either way no long walk for either.

Dennis
Punta Gorda is an understatement towel , and I'm sure Dennis just misspoke about St George Reef. :rolleyes:

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Northern California #66583 10/04/07 04:35 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
[b]

Dennis
Punta Gorda is an understatement towel , and I'm sure Dennis just misspoke about St George Reef. :rolleyes:

Bob [/b]
Fran / Bob,

In the case of Punta Gorda I was relying on a website's description- didn't do it myself- although I did get to most of the other lighthouses.

I should have been clearer- the comment about the tide was pointed specifically towards Battery Point. If it's not the right time you can only look at if from the shore not get over to it- and even then it might not be open.

St George's Reef of course is way too far out to walk to in any case.

I was referring to the fact that neither include any long hikes from where you park your car.

I knew there was a more recent trip with specific information on the forums as well- just didn't have time then to search for it.

Dennis

Re: Northern California #66584 10/05/07 12:35 AM
fra02441 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the info. I cant make it to San Fran because it will take all day to get there by plane and the same back so it does not allow enough time. Looking at split rock instead. Driving from Round Lake Il. Only if the weather is good. It keeps changing every time I look at Weather.com. frustrated

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,837 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users