Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66477 05/30/06 10:45 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I am looking at jumping over to Long Island for the day this Sunday on my East Coast trip from Connecticut. My two goals are Fire Island and Montauk Point, but I'm probably going to hit Old Field Point, Horton Point, and Cedar Island as well. The question is, due to beach traffic on the weekend, am I better to take the Bridgeport - Port Jefferson ferry first thing Sunday morning, hit Old Field, Fire Island, and then head out to Montauk, or am I better to backtrack from Stamford (since I will be there Saturday for the NELL cruise) and take the New London - Orient Point ferry and hit Montauk first, and then end up at the Port Jefferson ferry back to Bridgeport? My first choice would be to take the Bridgeport ferry at 6:30am and then end up on the 8pm ferry from Orient Point back to New London, but don't want to get stuck in traffic for five hours, either! Thanks for suggestions...

Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66478 05/30/06 11:41 PM
L
LtHousLady Offline
L
Living here, my best guess would be the way you prefer is the better route. Come in at Port Jeff & leave from Orient.

Most people head out east toward the Hamptons & Montauk starting on the Friday evening rush & into Saturday morning. Sunday afternoon everyone will be coming BACK from out east, not going out to it.

In you're prefered route, the only time I see you heading west is for small amounts back tracking from Montauk to catch the shelter Island ferries to the north fork & after crossing over to get to Horton Point before getting the Ferry from Orient.

Disclaimer: This is my "Best guess" based on the usual traffic flows...but there are no guarentees on LI wink

You've got yourself covering some decent mileage. Good luck on your trip! Wish I was available to meet up with you, but we're all booked up with an all start little league game & wedding reception that day wink

Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66479 05/31/06 01:06 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
As I recall, if you have a heavy accelerator foot leave it at home. Especially true for the South Fork. On the North Fork there are plenty of wineries if you have time to stop past and compare them to the ones "back home".....

Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66480 05/31/06 02:20 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Oh Dave, you HAD to mention wineries!!! I am going carry on baggage for this trip, so whatever I buy I'll have to ship home! LOL!

Lighthouse Lady, thanks so much for the insight!

Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66481 05/31/06 02:57 AM
L
LtHousLady Offline
L
You're very welcome. And Dave is correct about following the speed limit out east! I got pulled over on my way to a sunrise at Montauk some time ago. Heading into Montauk is a downhill run & even with your foot on the break, a Suburban doesn't really slow down wink He was nice & let me go to make the sunrise in time with my kids since it was their first time.

Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66482 05/31/06 12:29 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Better make sure you have reservations for the weekend ferries, you don't want to be stuck out at Orient Pt, and then have to backtrack to NYC.
Bob

ps you first scenario is good for LI, but I can't advise you about CT traffic. Your trip from Fire Island to Montauk will be traffic (best day as Nancy says) but on North Fork you'll be going vs traffic to the ferry.
Go to Gosmans outside snack bar for lunch at Montauk Harbour or stop at Village Pizza in town.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66483 05/31/06 04:59 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Bob, thanks for the tips on places to eat...sounds yummy! About how long will it take to get from Montauk up to the North Fork and out to Orient Point? I have a 6pm ferry reservation already and a 7:30am one from Bridgeport.

Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66484 05/31/06 11:29 PM
beachcomber Offline
What a blast, Jen! Enjoy your trip! You know we will be waiting for the pictures. wink

beachcomber
Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66485 06/05/06 04:31 PM
L
lovethelites Offline
L
Hi Jen how was your adventure to Long Island???Hope you got to see all the lighthouses you planned on seeing.Montauk & Fire Island are a few of my favorites as well as many others.I was so syked to see Stratford Shoals on the CT. trip.An awesome light,even if the weather was a little yukie.Again it was great to have met you and maybe our paths will cross again.

smile smile Linda

Re: Ferries from Connecticut to Long Island #66486 06/06/06 02:49 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Linda, it was great meeting you also. Long Island went way better than I ever expected. I got to Port Jefferson about 8:45am, went right over to Old Field, spent about 1/2 hour there, and after getting turned around in the town of Old Field, figured out how to get down to Fire Island. I pulled in their lot around 10:15am, spent an hour and a half there, and then took off for Montauk. Traffic on 27 east ran smooth the entire way, and I got into a couple minor (very minor) backups in Southampton, but made it out to Montauk in an hour and 45 minutes from Fire Island. Montauk is GORGEOUS!!! Spent another hour and a half there, and left there around 3:30pm or so and stopped in East Hampton for 45 minutes or so shooting the windmills and a stop at the old cemetery by the town pond, then went up to the North Fork via Shelter Island. Got Horton Point in (skipped Long Beach Bar and Cedar Island) and got to the ferry dock about 6:20pm for the 7pm departure. It was an AWESOME day!!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users