Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66315 10/19/03 02:24 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Woke up Saturday to low scud clouds and light rain. NOT a good sign for a busy day outdoors at Cape Hatteras!

But I hit the road, making one stop at a gift shop operator in Manteo (He said "Yes" to the stickers!)

Made it to Cape Hatteras by noon where the first stop was the beach location where 'America's Lighthouse' once stood.

A ceremony was underway with a brief talk by author and historian Kevin Duffus on the history of the lighthouses that have guarded the Diamond Shoals for 200 years.

This was followed by a reading of the civilian keepers names by Sandy Clunie (SandySea). As each name was read, a bell recovered from a 1930's wrecked ship off the Outer Banks was rung.

[Note Sandy is wearing a badge as a member of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society. These special badges were made up by Dave H and the purchase of the badges by OBLHS will benefit our fund for Bodie Island Lighthouse. The image on the badges is from a Bruce Roberts photo of CH at the beach location and which I made up for a special sticker for the event.]

The group of about 120 attending the beach ceremony moved on to the new lighthouse location. About this time, the clouds began to part and sun shown through some nice clouds.

The circle of stones at the old location were pushed around and buried by Isabel a month ago. They will be reset. The keepers and assistant keepers' names are engraved on the stones which were once the foundation of the original lighthouse location.

The OBLHS and the Park Service had a large tent set up near the Keepers Quarters and had scheduled several talks about the lighthouse, and the Outer Banks during the day.

The tower was open to climb (even free today) and I climbed to the top only to arrive a few minutes before the outside walkway had been closed due to high winds outside (50 MPH with gusts to 60.)

I waited about a half hour at the top but eventually headed down, passing about 30 people below me waiting to get outside. The walkway eventually opened up again about 90 minutes later.

The climb still afforded an opportunity to see some nice views INSIDE the lighthouse and to appreciate both the original construction and the engineering of the move.

At the Keepers Quarters, OBLHS Member Brent Westwood, Wilmington NC, was playing the role of Keeper in a uniform of the era. Here is is pointing out something to Lita Aldridge, from Richmond VA, grandaughter of Asst. Keeper William G. Rollinson, 1901-1904.

Keeper Brent raised a reproduction of the US flag of 1803.

During the course of the day, 3 of these reproduction flags were raised by OBLHS. One was presented to the US Park Service and two were auctioned at the OBLHS keepers' dinner.

About 3:30 PM, I headed back to the hotel to get ready for the Keepers Dinner with a cash bar starting at 5 PM.

I'll report on the dinner in another thread to be posted on Sunday with photos.

Re: Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66316 10/19/03 07:48 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It really looks like you can actually mix business with pleasure! Thank you for sharing this experience, John.

One of these days, when it's time to stop taking a bite out of crime, Lorna and I will have to make that journey.

smile Bob smile

Re: Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66317 10/19/03 12:34 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Another great job, John, of taking us along with you for the day's events.. looking forward to your next report on the dinner..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66318 10/19/03 01:40 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What a historical event. Looks like you had a fantastic time and it sounds like all the commerative activities took a lot of planning. Great report! I look forward to hearing the conclusion of your trip.

Re: Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66319 10/19/03 08:12 PM
Larry Offline
Great pictures John. Wish we were there.

Did you get a chance to sit and chat with Sandy Clunies? If anyone ever gets the chance, do it! She is a wonderful woman, full of wonderful stories.

Re: Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66320 10/19/03 08:14 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
JOhn,

A great big thanks for sharing the wonderful photos and your narration. It does appear that it was a wonderful day all around.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66321 10/19/03 08:14 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Looks like fun!!! Wish I could be there, but the challenge was fun.

Re: Visit to Virginia & Outer Banks - Chapter 4 #66322 10/19/03 08:15 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great Shots, John! I hope to make out there in the near future, you are making it look awesome!

Jim

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 808 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users