Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66233 08/15/06 09:08 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
The last destination of our cruise was Copenhagen, Denmark. We took just over 36 hours to get there from bergen, Norway.

We passed a number of lighthouses along the way. Unfortunately we were quite a distance from most of them as we passed and/or the sun was a big problem in getting clear shots.

The first ones we went by were in denmark on the Skagen Peninsula. We passed more than 2 miles off the coast of the peninsula so thes are not great shots.

The first one shows the "new" Skagen Lighthouse (1858)in the foreground and the latest automated Skagen lighthouse in the background. I had to manipulate this photo to get anything to show up.

This next one is of the "old" Skagen Lighthouse known as thw Hvide Fyr or White Light.

I apologize for the quality of these- obviously the colors are not quite right but these are the best I could get from the distanc e we cruised by.

The next one I cannot definitively id as a lighthouse. It's the Kronberg Castle in Helsingor Denmark. It's the setting used by Shakespere for Hamlet. He changed the name to Elsinore as those literary types are wont to do.

I could find nothing stating there was a lighthouse here but the data base for the lighthouses of Denmark is not very good. I'm counting it here and hoping someone can confirm- or deny it.

I took several photos but this one was the only one I got that was usable with the light showing. The sun was very bright at this point in the trip

This Castle was used to defend Denmark and collect the fees from passing ships for centuries. it's strategically located at the point where the distance from Denmark to Sweden is the shortest.

We continued on and I got some shots of several lights on the swedish side. Some I could ID but a few were problematic- again due to the lack of resources listing and naming the lighthouses in Sweden and Denmark.

This one is a small light in front of a marina in the Helsignor area of Sweden. It's a bit difficult to pick out due to it's color.

This next one is a mystery as well. I am 99.9% sure that it is located on the northern end of the Swedish island of Ven but there is nothing listing it. there is a site that lists two other lights on the island of Ven but not this one.

This is the Haken Lighthouse on the island of Ven. Unfortunately the trees hide a good bit of it.

This one is listed as the south light on the island of Ven.

Here one view of another light on Ven Island which is also not mentioned on the web. It's at the entrance to a marina on the south end of the island.

Continued in the next post.

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66234 08/15/06 09:24 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Here's another shot of the Ven Marina Light again with the problem of picking it out due to it's color.

We continued on our way to Copenhagen and pulled into the harbor passing by several lights in the process.

Here are some shots of the Breakwater Lights as you enter the harbor.

I actually missed the Trekroner Lighthouse and Fortress as we pulled into the harbor. I noticed it after we had sailed in.

We spent the evening at Tivoli Gardens. it's got some very nice gardens there and a plethora of restaurants. Walt disney visited here to get ideas for disneyland when he was forming his plans to build it.

We took a walking tour of copenhagen during the day the next day. It was just another perfect day- bright sun, no clouds, no rain and temperatures near 90. I did the 3 mile walk around Copenhagen but skipped the one hour canal cruise back. I could already feel my face getting red.

We walked by a Lighthsip on our travels through the "old" and "new " parts of Copenhagen.

Here are a couple of shots of the Gedser Rev Lighthship # XVII. These were also taken with the Casio not the Panasonic.

We of course got to see the Little Mermaid on our walking tour of the city along with the Winter Palaces and the old harbour area and the Citadel fort and it's church and the Cathedral in the new part of the city.

We pulled out of Copenhagen and I got some shots of the Trekroner lighthouse and fortress as we left. Those are in the next post.

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66235 08/15/06 09:31 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Here are several shots of the Trekroner Lighthouse and fortress. It was built in 1786 and unsuccessfully defended Copenhagen against Admiral Lorn Nelson in 1801. It had more success in other battles.

You can see one of the exports of Denmark in the background of several photos- the windmills. Thye have sold them to countries all over the world including some that were just installed near Atlantic City, NJ.

This concludes my report on my lighthouse experiences in Europe in july 2006.

I was hoping to get better shots of the South foreland Lighthosue when we returned to dover but we came in late due to extreme fog conditions and had our visit to the dover Castle area cut from our excursion.

I hope you enjoyed my photos. I'm planning on putting together a few more of things non-lighthouse and posting them eventually.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66236 08/15/06 10:27 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I really like the fortress and it's light. Be interesting to see an overhead view or diagram of the fort, with it's interesting little harbor of sorts. The windmills are a very interesting backdrop. There are some windmills in Mackinaw City - wonder if they are from these folks?

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66237 08/15/06 11:27 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
I really like the fortress and it's light. Be interesting to see an overhead view or diagram of the fort, with it's interesting little harbor of sorts. The windmills are a very interesting backdrop. There are some windmills in Mackinaw City - wonder if they are from these folks?
Dave,

The odds are good that the windmills in Macinaw city came from Denmark.

The guide said they were the top seller in the world and that many have been sold to places in the US.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66238 08/16/06 03:03 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis did your ship dock next to the "Little Mermaid". Our ship bow was practically on top of it when we docked.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and taking us along on your travels.

BTW...it sounds like perfect temps for my liking. smile

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66239 08/16/06 08:07 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Does the Trekroner Light remind anyone else of Alcatraz? Fortress, lighthouse....uncanny to me.

I'm really enjoying the photos. You have me checking fares for Cunard and HAL (second favourite) cruises around the fjords. Unfortunately, apparently they like to do them in June and September. :rolleyes:

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66240 08/16/06 10:10 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Lorie,

We were not far from the Little Mermaid but not right on top of it. We did tie up right next to several lighthouses though- including some that were directly out my cabin window.

The temperatures were fine for others but not for me- I went north looking for 60's and got 80's & 90's. I survived- in fact I actually lost 6 pounds on the vacation.

Greg,

Here's a photo I took of Alcatraz a few years back and I don't see much similarity. I'd say that Weed Battery under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge bears a closer resemblence given it's position on top of the battery.

I'd say that Weed Battery under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge bears a closer resemblence given it's position on top of the battery. I took this photo on my cruise to Bermuda leaving from NYC.

The route the cruise took seems to not be a very popular one. Celebrity usually only does it once a year. You can get a smaller taste of the fjords on many cruises throghout the season but stops in Tallin, Riga, St Petersburg and other Baltic ports are easier to find.

In fact next year Celebrity will not be replicating this cruise at all.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66241 08/16/06 10:34 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Like the pictures of the lightship.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66242 08/16/06 10:47 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by ericlighthouse:
Like the pictures of the lightship.
Eric,

That was a very nice- and busy- section of Copenhagen. There were parts we walked through where we the only people there but in that area there seemed to be thousands of people.

I didn't see it but apparantly there is another lighthship in copenahgen that is used as a restaurant.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66243 08/16/06 11:20 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks for sharing your trip, Dennis. It brought back memories of a cruise we took in 1997 from Copenhagen to Norway. Thanks to you, I was able to identify the lightship Gedser Rev #XVII. I have a similar picture but didn't make a note of the ship's name and never could find an exact matching picture on any website (the name wasn't painted on the side of the ship then). The buildings in the background match exactly with my photo as well as the features of the ship. So, that made your trip photos doubly fun for me.

Yes, Kronborg is definitely a lighthouse. I found references and photos on a Scandinavian lighthouse website(which I don't remember right now - however I found it either on or with a link from The Lighthouse Directory website). Also, we visited the Kronborg castle while on a tour of castles around Copenhagen. Your photo even got the light while it was flashing.

Thanks again.

Larry

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66244 08/16/06 11:33 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by lmyhre:
Thanks for sharing your trip, Dennis. It brought back memories of a cruise we took in 1997 from Copenhagen to Norway. Thanks to you, I was able to identify the lightship Gedser Rev #XVII. I have a similar picture but didn't make a note of the ship's name and never could find an exact matching picture on any website (the name wasn't painted on the side of the ship then). The buildings in the background match exactly with my photo as well as the features of the ship. So, that made your trip photos doubly fun for me.

Yes, Kronborg is definitely a lighthouse. I found references and photos on a Scandinavian lighthouse website(which I don't remember right now - however I found it either on or with a link from The Lighthouse Directory website). Also, we visited the Kronborg castle while on a tour of castles around Copenhagen. Your photo even got the light while it was flashing.

Thanks again.

Larry
Larry,

Glad I could help you. I can understand the frustration with ID'ing the lighthship.

The web has very little info on the lighthouses of Scandinavia- norway has the most extensive info out there but it's even hard to figure out.

I spent a long time looking for anything that mentioned a lighthouse at the Kronborg Castle. If it was on the Lighthouse Directory it's not there anymore- that's the site I used the most since it's the most extensive world wide site I have found.

I took about 20 photos of the Castle as we passed it. The problem was that most did not show the light flashing and the sun had washed out the photos so it was difficult to even really see it clearly.

I decided to post the photo and hope for some verification from someone- and you've provided it. Thanks for that.

I'm hoping somebody will see the other unidentified lights and give some name to them. I found most of them- there are just a couple that lack an ID. That's not bad for doing almost no research before I left- and leaving what little I did at home. laugh

I truly did not intend this trip to have so many lighthouse sightings. I lucked out big time. I got 51 lighthouses, lightships or aids to navigation- not bad for knowing for sure I'd see only one lighthouse before we left.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66245 08/21/06 10:21 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Here is a website about Kronborg:
http://www.leuchtturmseiten.de/home.htm?5070

I know what you mean about difficulties in finding references (particularly pictures) about lighthouses in Norway. I still have a couple of pictures that I haven't been able to identify.

Larry

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66246 08/21/06 10:32 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by lmyhre:
Here is a website about Kronborg:
http://www.leuchtturmseiten.de/home.htm?5070

I know what you mean about difficulties in finding references (particularly pictures) about lighthouses in Norway. I still have a couple of pictures that I haven't been able to identify.

Larry
Larry,

I was on that site numerous times. I don't know how I missed the Kronborg photo.

At last something that shows I didn't imagine it as a lighthouse.

Thanks for the assist. I went back and took another look at my photos of the area and found the pier lights hiding in plain sight-

I did have to zoom in a bit to actual see them. that's OK I'm going to count them anyway- I subliminally saw them as I took the photo. laugh

That ttakes the total on the trip up to 53.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66247 08/21/06 11:28 PM
beachcomber Offline
Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Dennis. It is always fascinating to see the European lights. Where are Margret and Iris when we need them?! smile I know they both have been in these areas and could help with the identification of many of the lights. I think it's pretty cool that Kronberg has a light! cool

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66248 08/22/06 12:57 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I think that all things considered I did a fairly good job of identifying the lights.

There is only one lighthouse and several minir channel aids that have no name. Scandinavian lights can be very difficult to id, though.

I'm amazed at my luck in being at the right place at the right time so often. I just happened to look out of a window or be up on deck at just the right time to get some photos.

The cruise line was not much help- unlike at least one line in Alaska that actually updates you if you ask for it.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66249 08/22/06 03:32 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:

The cruise line was not much help- unlike at least one line in Alaska that actually updates you if you ask for it.
Dennis [/QB]
Which cruise line is that Dennis?
HCS

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66250 08/22/06 07:29 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:

The cruise line was not much help- [b]unlike at least one line in Alaska that actually updates you if you ask for it.
Dennis [/b]
Which cruise line is that Dennis?
HCS [/QB]
Hilary,

I wasn't on it but a friend took a cruise to alaska on Princess and he was able to contact the navigator and get updates daily as to when they would be passing by lighthouses.

He indicated that there was even a booklet available in the ship's store that listed which lights would be passed and aproximately where they were.

Tammy also posted this on one of my posts about the Europe trip-

"Dennis, did Celebrity tell you anything about the lighthouses? We've done one Celebrity and one Princess cruise. On the Princess cruise, they published approximate times we would be passing lighthouses in the daily newsletter, and the naturalist announced when we were going to pass one. "

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses Of Europe- Denmark & Sweden 2006 #66251 08/22/06 08:56 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Dennis, yes it did help.
We are planning a cruise to Alaska and it looks like it will be Princess.
HCS

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users