Next Thread
Print Thread
Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66056 07/25/01 01:03 AM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Part I:
My actual summer lighthousing began back over the Memorial Day weekend when my husband and I went to St. George Island. Mosquito weather had not begun and so we had a nice trek across the island to view the lighthouse. Viewing it from afar does not show all the work that still has to be done inside the gutted structure. Waves are continuing to lap at the base as the restoration group works on to save this light. Much debris and work equipment had not been removed which made photographing it difficult. Nevertheless, we enjoyed the trip out with Jeanni's Journeys. Crooked River light, Cape San Blas, and St. Joseph were also revisited. This time at San Blas I walked down the beach, which is ever eroding, to take some photos and saw the foundation of the first light in the water.

Next leg of my summer lighthousing came on July 3rd when I went off to CA. A lovely visit to the home office in El Cajon got me excited about going to WA state to see lights the next day. My cousin and I landed in Seattle and set out early the next morning for Pt. Robinson and Point NO Point lighthouses....Both were not easily found eventho' we had several maps and printed info from the internet. When we did locate them we liked what we saw.

Then we were off to Port Angeles and the first flyover on the trip. We were a tad bit late for our appointment, but as it turned out, the weather was much clearer than it had been and the view was fantastic! We flew over New Dungeness, Flattery, and Destruction. Can't imagine why more folks weren't killed in this area...it is dangerous going...Drove on to Port Townsend and saw Point Wilson by twilight...what a scenic area...next morning I was out at daybreak taking more photos and boy was it cool...felt great!

Saturday, after a super breakfast at the B&B, we were off to Admirality Head and then on to Anacortes. Here we took our second flyover and located Burrows Island, Cattle Point, Lime Kiln and Patos Island. Once again, the weather was perfect for flying and taking photos. This area is so pretty and since the weather had been so nice, the flowers were blooming their heads off.

After a good night sleep, we headed to Mukilteo where Darlene was waiting for us. On the way, I discovered Bush Point Lighthouse--of course, it is a FAUX, but was interesting to see another kind of structure. Just as she had promised, Darlene was waiting for us...thanks for the wonderful reception, Darlene! Mukilteo is so fortunate to have so many who are diligently working to preserve this light.

Our flight back to San Diego was right on time and we crawled into bed late but with visions of Pt. Vicente dancing in my head. The reception we received at this light was fantastic. Eric, the curator, was soooo interesting. We had the lighthouse to ourselves and what a gorgeous day it was....This light was one of the best stops while I was visiting on the west coast.

But, there was one more I needed to see. Knowing that Los Angeles Harbor light was nearby, we headed in the direction Eric sent us in....we saw the new light across from the Queen Mary and kept winding around the harbor until we spotted Los Angeles Harbor in the distance. We wound around and finally found a parking spot where the locals come to watch the sunset and an open gate into the HarborMasters offices. So, I walked right in, knocked on the door and said I was on vacation and I needed to get closer to take a decent photo. He said, "Go right ahead".

Part II: the East Coast will come tomorrow

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 07-24-2001).]

Re: Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66057 07/25/01 01:56 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
But did you get any lighthousing done?

Sounds like a very hectic trip to the west coast! I'll be looking forward to the eastern portion report and to some pictures.

Glad to hear you are safely home.

Dave

Re: Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66058 07/25/01 02:28 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds great so far Derith, but don't you want to count Chicago as lighthousing too even though there were a few other distractions?!

Re: Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66059 07/25/01 12:38 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Felt like Chicago had already been reported on....did we have a good time or what?
Derith

Re: Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66060 07/25/01 03:52 PM
CarolZ Offline
Boy Nana...do you ever stay home? And you talk about me?
Glad you had such a great time on your trip. I have been to most of the Washington LHs by car. Next time I'll have to hire a plane to take me over New Dungeness (I saw it from across the bay), Cape Flattery, Destruction Island and Burrows Island. If you can, e-mail me the name of the plane you hired. I am still on the lookout for the one (what's that name?) down near Olympia. Oh yeah, Dofflmmeyer. Does anyone know f htis actually exists? Couldn't seem to find it. Either the residents had NO idea that there may be a LH nearby or they wouldn't let on so I would go away. I don't know which. I guess I could have been on the wrong road.
Can't wait to hear more about your trip, especially the Eatern part. Hopefully someday our paths will cross. CAROL

Re: Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66061 07/26/01 01:07 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sure does, Carol. See here:
http://www.aracnet.com/~jkandik/images/doffle.html

Re: Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66062 07/26/01 09:39 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I seem to remember that you can see it pretty well from a local marina....
Derith

Re: Overview of my summer's lighthousing #66063 07/30/01 09:52 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
To view Dofflemeyer go to a small marina in the small village of Boston Harbor north of Olympia. Its the only place I know of where you can see it without a boat. It's quite close to the marina but private property keeps you from going up to it.

Larry

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users