Print Thread
Great Lakes L/H Tour #66043 01/15/01 11:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are planning trip to see as many L/H's of the Greast Lakes this year and would appreciate any and all suggesations as to where, when, etc. to see the most as possible.

Harry and Judyy
Orlando Florida

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66044 01/16/01 01:23 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Punkin,
For us to give you some ideas (and you will get many, many good suggestions) it would be helpful to know when you plan to visit and where you plan to visit. I know you asked us when was a good time, but what part of summer are you thinking about? Are you driving up from FL, or flying in? If flying, where to?

There are 5 Great Lakes with several hundred lights, both US and Canadian, all around them. Are you planning on spending the entire summer lighthousing the Great Lakes? (if so, many of us will be very jealous).

Dave

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66045 01/17/01 02:43 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Harry & Judy

If you are coming through Michigan, A must have is the Penrose Guide to 116 Michigan Lighthouses. For the most part it gives pretty accurate directions to the lighthouses for the best access. I never leave home without when traveling my home state.

-Todd

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66046 01/19/01 01:01 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I was hoping Harry would post a little more on what they wanted to do. He and I have had a little e-mail discussion, and did learn a little to help our tour guide:

(1) They are really wacko! Their last adventure was a 26 day tour of NE last year!
(2) They sound to be open as to where to fly into to begin the adventure.
(3) Early fall is ideal, but not a must.
(4) They are looking for input as to tours, boat trips, etc. that they could take

Dave

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66047 01/19/01 01:18 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
OK, having shared the above here are a few suggestions for Harry & Judy and any others planning similar trips:

Take Todd's suggestion on the Penrose book, but get all 3! (Eastern GL, Western GL & Michigan). They have info, pics, directions & maps. Best $15 each that a lighthouse adventurer can buy.

In and out of Chicago could be a great start for the circle tour of Lake Michigan. There are many links in Michigan - they have a well developed tourism presence on the web.

Some sites:
Great Lakes General Info

West Michigan Travel Lighthouse Info

Now, I might try to be in Mackinaw sometime in August for either the GLLKA sponsored boat trips, the lighthouse festival or some of the other trips that are available.

If you are not going to the reunion, you might want to wait till fall and go the the big lighthouse event in Alpena in October. Of course, in September there is the Apostle Island lighthouse doo-dah, with special trips each days to lights the tour boats normaly do not stop at.

The trip up the left coast of Michigan is great, and you are never too far from a lighthouse. On the other side of the state, in the thumb, are some great lights, as well as up the entire Lake Huron coastline. The UP brings even more adventures.

Return down the right coast of Wisconsin and you are also treated to a number of great lights.

So many choices! I know others will also share some suggestions.

Dave

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66048 01/19/01 11:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks to all who have contacted us with suggestions. We are planning the trip for late Summer/early Fall and will appreciate any and all ideas from all who have been there before. When we did New England last year we planned around Harbor Cruises and various tours that allow the most Lighthouse viewing in the shortest time. If you have any suggestions please let us know.

Thanks again to all you fellow L/H lovers.

Harry and Judy
Orlando Florida

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66049 01/21/01 01:47 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
A request for all that have suggestions for Harry & Judy: Please post your suggestions here, don't just e-mail them. Reason? Many, many more will benefit from your suggestions. How many have used one of Art's travelogues as the basis for an adventure of their own? (I know I have). As I am preparing for our spring break trip I have searched the forum's for previous posts of the area we will visit. I will be posting my own request thread in the near future.

Many people use these threads as a research and help facility for their own travels. By publicly sharing suggestions we will all benefit from Punkin's initial request!

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66050 01/21/01 03:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dave-
We agree that Posting relly helps everyone. We can gain from the experience of those that have "been there and done that."
As a side note, we traveled New England last Fall and did 153 L/H's from Ct. to The Bay of Fundy in 26 days. Not that we are now experts on the area, but we could give others some suggestions if they were doing the same and would be glad to share.
Thanks again to all and any suggestions for our planned trip to the Great Lakes L/H's.

Harry and Judy
Orlando Florida

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66051 01/22/01 02:58 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I have written traveling directions to lighthouses on the western shore of the state of Michigan (eastern shore of Lake Michigan)that might help you out. My directions are south to north. They actually start in Indiana and go north to Mackinaw City. Let me know if you are interested in them. They are in a Word document. I can email them to you.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66052 01/25/01 12:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks again to all who have responded to my request for Great Lakes Tour suggestions. I just ordered the three Penrose books from L/H Depot and have started my file with the ideas you all have sent. Please continue to let us know any and all ideas for that trip that we hope to do early this Fall.(Last year we visited New England from 18 Augt.- 12 Sept. because a lot of L/H cruises were avaialbe doing that time period.) The dates are flexible and we will look for those of you that know the best dates to let us know.

Thanks again to all ! ! ! !

Harry and Judy

Orlando Florida

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66053 03/16/01 12:56 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
For anyone who is going to be in the area of the Grand Haven Lighthouses here is some new information on times you may not want to come to visit. According to an article in a local paper tonight, the Grand Haven Lighthouses will be undergoing some repairs from approximately April 2 to June 20. During this time they are going to make repairs to the light at the end of the pier. The work to be done includes putting on a new roof, sealing around all openings, painting and adding structural reinforcement. While the work is in progress the pier may be closed from the inner light to the end of the pier. The work will not disrupt the fog signal or the navigational light.

The paper states the cost of the project will be $91,000.

2beacons

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66054 04/16/01 12:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Still working on my trip to the Great Lakes and need help fron those in the "know" on how to view the following lights:
Gary Breakwater Light
Buffington Harbor Breakwater Light
Indiana Harbor East Breakwater Light

Re: Great Lakes L/H Tour #66055 04/16/01 01:20 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
By boat

Dave

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,217 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users