Print Thread
Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65984 06/20/07 01:38 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
A few members of Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD) were invited to the private Invite Only Grand Re-Opening Ceremony for Raspberry Island Lighthouse on Sunday June 17, 2007. We have donated $3500 to the Friends of Apostle Islands to be used for Apostle Island Lighthouses. In February 2007, WILD donated $1000 to be used for displays and furnishings at Raspberry Island Lighthouse. They used our money well and the displays looked great.

As President, I planned to go as a representative of our club. No one else from WILD was able to go to the ceremony, so I invited my son and his girlfriend to go along with me. My son works for Wisconsin Governor Doyle, so we were able to get a proclamation from the Governor to present to the Apostle Island National Park Service to recognize the restoration of Raspberry Island Lighthouse. My son was appointed official representative of the Governor and he spoke at the ceremony. The ceremony was documented by PBS-Wisconsin Public Television for a future showing of "In Wisconsin".

It began with a ceremony in Bayfield, Wisconsin with speeches from Bob Krumenaker Superintendent of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, the National Park Service Regional Director, Bayfield Mayor Larry MacDonald, representative of Congressman Obey, representative of Senator Feingold, representative of Senator Kohl, and my son Patrick Murphy representing Wisconsin Governor Doyle. A special Proclamation was awarded to the National Park Service from Governor Doyle. Music was provided by singers from Lake Superior Big Top Chautauqua.

After the ceremony, we boarded a boat to go to Raspberry Island. Aboard the boat we were served Chocolate Cake with Raspberry filling and Raspberry Apple Cider to drink. We heard more lighthouse songs by the Big Top Chautauqua singers. We docked at Raspberry Island Lighthouse and were greeted by the actor who plays the Raspberry Island Lighthouse Keeper. We participated in a ribbon cutting ceremony and then toured the lighthouse. The restoration of Raspberry Island Lighthouse looked great. They did a wonderful job.

Bob Krumenaker Superintendent of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore

Patrick Murphy presenting Wisconsin Governor's Proclamation to Bob Krumenaker

Wisconsin Governor's Proclamation

This is the wording on the Proclamation:

The State of Wisconsin
Office of the Governor
Certificate of Commendation

Whereas, the Apostle Island National Lakeshore is the Only National Park fully within the State of Wisconsin and is widely recognized as the jewel in the state’s crown; and

Whereas, according to maritime historian F. Ross Holland, “within the boundaries of Apostle Island National Lakeshore is the largest and finest single collection of lighthouses in the country”; and

Whereas, the Raspberry Island Lighthouse was placed in service in 1863, and remodeled from the ground up in 1906 to accommodate three keepers and their families; and

Whereas, despite the toll of time, Lake Superior, and the elements, the Raspberry Island Lighthouse, outbuildings, and grounds are enshrined on
the National Register of Historic Places; and

Whereas, exactly a century after it was rebuilt into its current configuration, the National Park Service has completed a major restoration of the Raspberry Island Lighthouse, returning it to its 1920s splendor, making it once again truly the “showcase of the Apostle Islands,”

Now, therefore, I, Jim Doyle, Governor of the State of Wisconsin, do hereby congratulate the National Park Service and the people of Wisconsin and the United states on this marvelous achievement which both preserves this important piece of America’s heritage and provides an unparalleled opportunity for education and enjoyment

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have
hereunto set my hand and caused the
Executive Privy Seal of the State of
Wisconsin to be affixed. Done at the
Capitol in the city of Madison and
presented this seventeenth day of June in
the year two thousand seven.

Jim Doyle

Raspberry Island Celebration cake - chocolate with raspberry filling

Raspberry Island Lightkeeper ready to greet us on the boat dock. Lake Superior water levels are down so the water depth at the dock was only 5 feet 6 inches.

Raspberry Island Lighthouse

Stairway from boat dock to Raspberry Island Lighthouse

Welcome to Raspberry Island of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65985 06/20/07 02:43 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W

Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
NPS Regional Director, Superintendent of Apostle Islands Nat'l Lakeshore Bob Krumenaker, actor playing lightkeeper of Raspberry Island, Mayor of Bayfield Larry MacDonald, Wisconsin State Assemblyman Gary Sherman, and PBS-WPT crew shooting documentary for "In Wisconsin".

Back of Raspberry Island Lighthouse

The New Roof looks great!

Looking down at the fog signal building, modern aid to Navigation and boat docks

Looking down at backyard, out buildings and solar panel

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65986 06/20/07 02:48 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W

Emily and Patrick enjoying the view at the top of Raspberry Island Lighthouse.

Kitchen at Raspberry Island Lighthouse

Dining Room at Raspberry Island Lighthouse

Inside Raspberry Island Lighthouse

Stairway to Tower, original wood

I was the first person to sign the 2007 National Park Register at Raspberry Island Lighthouse!

Raspberry Island 5th Order Fresnel Lens with rotating panels on display at Historical Museum on Madeline Island.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65987 06/20/07 03:24 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
Watch Streaming Video of renovation of Raspberry Island Lighthouse

video (7:33)
Producer: JoAnne Garrett
It’s rehab time for the lighthouse on Raspberry Island. Combine a wood frame with 100 years of Lake Superior weather and you can see why the lighthouse needs a lot of work. Learn about the elaborate reconstruction effort that is underway — aiming to restore the lighthouse to its original glory.
http://www.wpt.org/inwisconsin/greatlakes/index.cfm

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65988 06/20/07 03:28 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
I was invited to cruise with the Friends of the Apostle Islands Board of Directors on the return trip. We had a cruising dinner and refreshments. Members of the National Park Service went back with us so we were able to converse with them on the return trip.

I went to Raspberry Island on the boat in the lower left of the photo. I returned to Bayfield on the boat in the upper right of the photo

Security was high during the time we were on the island. Three National Park Service boats kept security tight on the perimeter around Raspberry Island lighthouse. One of their boats was biodiesel powered. Here two of them are docked with the Friends boat.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65989 06/20/07 12:14 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great report and beautiful photos to go with it! Glad to hear that it has reopened to the public. I have been waiting patiently!
Lucky you to be one of the first!!!
Thanks suzanne!

Debbie
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65990 06/20/07 12:57 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
From looking at the times of your posts, I guess this report is hot off the presses(digital camera).

Great job by you and WILD to support this project at Raspberry Island Lighthouse! vhappy

It's wonderful to see a successful project at completion, and gives us hope for all our primary lighthouse projects.

It was neat that your son was involved!

Congratulations to All on a job well done!
groupwave

Bob

On my list to do.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65991 06/20/07 02:23 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Suzanne, Great photos and info on the grand re-opening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse.

I would like to get to Raspberry and some of the other Apostle Islands lighthouses someday.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65992 06/20/07 04:53 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great report, Suzanne! Glad to see another lighthouse re-opened! And nice pics too! waytogo

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65993 06/21/07 12:25 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the write-up and photos Suzanne.

I'm sure it was a nice bonus to have your son there as well.

waytogo

John and I would enjoy another trip back to the Apostle Islands.

Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65994 06/21/07 08:43 PM
buoyhunter_190 Offline
Suzanne, This is a wonderful post. Thanks for providing the information and pictures.

Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65995 06/22/07 12:08 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Suzanne,

What a great trip you had.

Thanks for posting.

Mary and Jeff

Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65996 06/22/07 03:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Suzanne, for the update.. I wish we could have been there as Raspberry Island Lighthouse is one of Sue and my favorites..

Raspberry in 2004 before most of the restoration was done, pics..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65997 06/23/07 08:16 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Absolutely an interesting story, Suzanne! Thank you for taking the time to share this moment with us all.

smile Bob smile

Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65998 06/26/07 04:19 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Great photos and reporting Suzanne, thanks! Interesting also to compare with Paul's earlier pictures.

Re: Grand Reopening of Raspberry Island Lighthouse #65999 06/26/07 10:46 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Raspberry Island Light is a great place to visit. It has been a number of years since we were up that way but we had an adventure. Thanks for taking us along on your great adventure, Suzanne.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 810 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users