cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Northern Road Trip #65930 08/29/02 02:27 AM
ktamlin Offline OP
OP Offline
Early last Thursday, Karen and I headed north, over hill and dale and Mackinac Bridge (in the rain) on our way to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. About 45 minutes out of the Soo the rain stopped and by the time we got to our motel the sun was out and that was a preview to our weekend.

Friday morning we boarded our cruise boat for a trip through the locks and up the St. Mary's River to visit lighthouses. We went through the MacArthur lock, rising 21 feet from the Lake Huron level to the Lake Superior level.

The first sighting was the Point Louise Range Light.

From there we cruised the river viewing many nice homes and nice coastline. In the middle of the river we passed a Stationary Light & Beacon.

Continuing on we cruised toward Point Iroquois Lighthouse, on the way we passed by the remains of the Round Island Lighthouse, not much to see since the trees have taken over. The view of Point Irquois was well worth the trip.

We then headed for the Canadian side of the lake and a chance to view Gros Cap Reef Lighthouse.

From here we followed the shore and headed back. We locked down through the Canadian locks, back to the Lake Huron level and back to dock.

A very enjoyable 4 1/2 hours and we would do it again.

From the soo we headed south back to Mackinaw City, taking a side trip to De Tour village to view De Tour Reef Lighthouse and Martin Reef Lighthouse. Both to far from shore to take pictures but we were able to see them both.

On to Mackinaw City where on Saturday we visited the craft show and some of the shops. Also went to the Nancy signing and as you know from our last post, Karen won the GOLD.

On Sunday morning we boarded the boat for the Shepler's Westward Lighthouse Cruise.

We cruised under the bridge which is a different view and headed west for White Shoal.

From here it was south to Gray's Reef. This is the first lighthouse we have seen with the name on the lighthouse. On the way there some of us got wet from the spray, but it was worth it.

A short trip east and we saw what is left of Waugoshance Shoal Light.

From here we started heading back for our last stop, St. Helena.

The cruise was narrated by two people from GLLKA. They were very informative and answered all questions asked.

Monday morning we headed home with two stops. The first was a box of fudge, and the second was to view McGulpin Point Lighthouse. Too many trees in the way for a good picture but was able to avoid the barking dog and get to see it a little.

We had a great time and now are looking forward to Alpena in October.

John & Karen
Re: Northern Road Trip #65931 08/29/02 08:14 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
John & Karen

Thanks for the great pictures, sure sounds like a terrific trip. I had been hoping to get to Michigan this year, but will be going to the NJ Challenge in October instead. Have you been to the Alpena Festival before? Sounds like a great time. A few years ago I went with the GLLKA group on a cruise up the St. Lawrence River. They were a great group and the cruise was wonderful. Thanks again for sharing your trip with us.

wink

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Northern Road Trip #65932 08/29/02 09:26 PM
ktamlin Offline OP
OP Offline
Sheryl

No we have not been to Alpena before. We are really looking forward to the festival and all of the lighthouses in the area. We will make it a long weekend (Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

Glad you liked the pictures. Now that I know how to post I will try to get more posted.

John & Karen
Re: Northern Road Trip #65933 08/29/02 10:18 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John & Karen,

Thanks for posting the great pictures and the narration to accompany them. I love to see photos of lights from other areas around the country and the world. We have enough members represented throughout the USA and Canada that if each would do as you did, we would have lots and lots of pictures to see. Thanks again,

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Northern Road Trip #65934 08/30/02 12:10 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Very nice! Thanks for sharing with us! smile

Re: Northern Road Trip #65935 08/30/02 12:38 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Northern Road Trip #65936 08/30/02 08:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a picture from the Shepplers portion of their trip, which we were on also

Re: Northern Road Trip #65937 08/30/02 09:40 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Thanks for sharing, John and Karen. A bunch of those are lights that I'd like to see and photograph. One of these years... Maybe I'll run into the two of you in Alpena in October.

Gary

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,363 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users