Print Thread
Ongoing questions to the LI Stooges #65854 01/05/00 08:40 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
OK guys, I'll gradually have tons of questions for the 3 Long Island Stooges and anyone else who may have some input. I am now starting the plans for a long trip this coming fall, including 3 days or so in the Long Island and Staten Island area. I will have alot of questions to ask, so I thought I would ask on the Forums so others may possibly benefit for future trips. Here goes the first round of questions concerning Staten Island lights....

(1) Has anyone been successful in having permission granted from the Mount Loretto Mission of the Imaculate Virgin, to enter their property for close up shots of Princes Bay Light? Any contact names or suggestions to get up close for 15 minutes?

(2) Has anyone tried driving down the private entrance road to the New Dorp Light for a "quickie" close up shot? Bad decision? Cujo kills all tresspassers? Can you see it OK without entering the property? Any contact names for special permission?

(3) Is there anything really left of Fort Wadsworth Light worth photographing, or is it not worth the wasted time to visit? Any recent improvements to the light or fort?

(4) Would I be correct in ignoring Romer Shoal and Old Orchard Shoal due to their distance from land? I am not concerned if their photos would just be dots on the horizon (without utilizing a boat). Any quick little ferry rides to and from anywhere, that go right by either of the two?

(5) The National Lighthouse Museum will not be up and running by this fall, will it?

That will keep you busy for awhile, many more to follow....
Rod Watson

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 01-05-100).]

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 01-05-100).]

Re: Ongoing questions to the LI Stooges #65855 01/06/00 10:10 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
Hi Rod,

I don't really know too much about Staten Island Lights but maybe the info I can provide will help.

1.) Princess Bay is off limits and not much to see. No lantern room just the tower remains.

2.) I haven't tried going down the private drive for New Dorp but I wouldn't let it stop me. Us lighthouse folks are a friendly and polite bunch. That's how I got into Old Field.

3.) Fort Wadsworth is part of the Gateway National Park and I know that you can see Old Orchard from the beach, it's about 21/2 to 3 miles off shore which isn't too bad. Not sure about Romer Shoal.

Like I said Staten Island isn't my "neck of the woods" so to speak.

If you decide to do a Long Island Extravaganza let me know. When Derith and Pam came here last fall we were able to see Execution Rock, Sands Point, Eatons Neck, Huntington Harbor, Fire Island, Montauk Point, Horton Point and Old Field in a day (took us about 12 hours). We were able to climb Montauk and Old Field.

Fire Island is school trips during the week and open to the public on weekends during the fall. Montauk is pretty much year round. Horton Point is weekends from memorial day to Columbus Day. I can get you into Old Field anytime. Last but not least I have the phone # for the USCG at Eatons Neck.

Being partial to my "homeland" I would make L.I. the main focus of my journey.

I would be willing to bet that all of us Stooges would love to hook up with you when you head out this way.

Re: Ongoing questions to the LI Stooges #65856 01/06/00 10:54 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Rod,
Thats the Long Island Stooges not Staten Island, Rod.
Seriously haven't done that route yet but here's some websites if you haven't already found them.

National Lighthouse Center and Museum
http://www.lighthousemuseum.org/

NY Harbor Lighthouses
www.lighthousemuseum.org/nylights.htm

I hope this helps but keep asking.
Bob

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 01-06-100).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Ongoing questions to the LI Stooges #65857 01/07/00 01:48 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I can't tell you much, but there is a tour of the Weed Battery in Ft. Wadsworth on Staten Island. There is still the metal shell of the LH atop the battery. You can view this and get close enough for good pictures without taking the tour. You are situated directly below the Verazano Narrows Bridge at this point. You get a terrific view of NY harbor and Lower Manhattan. This is the limit of my knowledge in this area. There is a website for the LH http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/park/ftwads.htm . Dennis

Re: Ongoing questions to the LI Stooges #65858 01/07/00 04:54 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Thanks guys. I will be concentrating more time on Long Island than Staten Island, so I will have plenty of future questions concerning LI. I plan on trying to see every LI land light, and at least a couple in the water through ferry rides, etc. Right now I am in the process of deciding if any lights are to be eliminated from the trip in the Staten Island and New York Harbor area (due to private properties, distance for photos, etc). I hate when that happens on any light, no matter it's insignificance. So far, I believe I have to rule out Old Orchard and Romer Shoal from any close up visits. I'm still pursuing Princes Bay up close though. Many more questions to follow....

Re: Ongoing questions to the LI Stooges #65859 01/11/00 02:15 AM
P
Pam Baggett Offline
P
Wow, what is all the sudden interest in Long Island. It seams that Derith and I started something! I think that Mike should start his own tour company. He could certainly make a ton of money and actually love what he does. He was the best guide anyone could ever ask for. We enjoyed our trip very much. He knew everything! I will never forget the trip we took to Long Island and into New Jersey. I will treasure the friends I made there forever.
I thank you Mike and I know that everyone you are helping have a good trip thanks you too.
Pam

Pam B.
Re: Ongoing questions to the LI Stooges #65860 01/12/00 03:16 PM
Lighthousedude Offline

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users