Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65771 09/10/03 04:23 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess at long last I should wrap this trip up!

The town of Arnprior is located just a bit south of the juncture of the Ottawa and Madawaska Rivers. We took a road in town north until we reached the point where the Madawaska actually enters the Ottawa. Way out in the Ottawa River is a tiny island on which is located the modern lighthouse which I believe is referred to as a Claymore Tower. These markers have been used to replace some of the lighthouses where a navagational aid is still deemed necessary. They have either red or green tops. Not the best photo but you can get the idea.

At this point we returned to the Quality Inn which was located just over the bridge. I.O. opted for a nap and I opted for a nice cold beer in the “backyard” of the hotel which was a lovely parklike area which sloped down to the Madawaska River. I spoke with a couple who docked their boat and came up to the hotel. There is no
lock here so you can’t travel between the rivers without a portage arrangement.

Dinner that evening was in the hotel, very good and very reasonable.

After breakfast the next morning we headed for home but we had one more place to check out. While it’s not a lighthouse it was part of the reason for this particular trip.

I won't bore you with the details except to say that when planning this trip I noticed that a slight detour would take us to a town called Westport.

Just a couple miles out of town there is a place called Green Shingle Lodge. I was curious to see it again as I had spent time there as a child, as a young bride and later with my kids. Thankfully it hadn't changed at all and is still run by the same family, the McCulloch's, after all those years!

The lodge and cabins are located on Wolfe Lake, on the Rideau Chain of Lakes and the setting is lovely.

After chatting with some folks there and taking some photos we hit the road again to Gananoque where we picked up 401 and headed east returning to the 1000 Island Bridge.

As we crossed the bridge I spotted another Claymore Tower!

We stopped for lunch and got home around 3:30pm, just about a half hour before the Northeast Blackout!

The only downside to this trip was the back trouble I picked up, Canadian Back Spasms - sure blame the Canadians, eh??? wink

I’ll conclude by saying that while the few lighthouses we saw will never rank up high on the “best known and frequently visited” list, it was fun finding them and traveling to some parts of Canada that we hadn’t been before.

Traveling in Canada continued to be somewhat of an adventure as even a copy of the latest roadmap is no guarantee that you will have an easy time as most of the folks we encountered assured us that we must have an old map when we referred to the route #’s on the map! Everyone was, however, very friendly and helpful.

While the exchange rate is not as favorable as it was even a couple of months ago we found most prices to be reasonable, excluding taxes which are really high, around 15%. If you choose to have alcohol with your meal it gets taxed twice!

I must express my thanks to Michel Forand of Ottawa who provided me with advance directions and advice. Also to Jeanne Charlebois of the Township of Champlain who provided information on locating the lights at L’Orignal. And also to Jeremy D’Entremont for the Lighthouse Database on the LHD website. Without the database I wouldn’t have known of the existence of the Ottawa River lighthouses.

Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65772 09/11/03 09:44 AM
Shirin Offline
Once again thank you for taking us along on your trip. Hope your back is doing better these days!

Shirin
Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65773 09/11/03 10:11 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job, Mombo! When is the next adventure going to take place?

smile Bob smile

Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65774 06/14/05 01:23 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well Bob, my next adventure is going to take place tomorrow!

While I.O. was away at his son's wedding in Jamaica June 1st thru 5th I decided I needed a break before the 21st when he's scheduled to have his gall bladder removed. From May 7th to June 8th I've also been battling my house assessment. (Still waiting to hear the grievance result.) As I pondered where to go, it came to me - Green Shingle Lodge in Canada! So the kayak is loaded in the car and I'm off tomorrow morning, returning probably Friday.

The weather this past week has been like Jamaica as we've had 90's every day with high humidity. Hopefully it will be better where I'm headed although there is some rain in the forecast. Tonight it dawned on me that this will be my first overnight, non lighthouse trip since I've collected HL, going on 7 years!!!

Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65775 06/15/05 11:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Tonight it dawned on me that this will be my first overnight, non lighthouse trip since I've collected HL, going on 7 years!!!
Fear not, Sue! Tuck one HL under each arm and head out on your adventure. Have fun and enjoy your trip.

smile Bob smile

Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65776 06/15/05 04:48 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I bet you report a lighthouse seen during your trip, Sue wink .
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65777 06/18/05 12:18 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Nope, not a one Bob! But I did check out a number of locks on the Rideau Canal and chatted with some nice people who were either locking through or tied up. Talking with one couple from Ottawa I found that they had already been by my place 6 times in their travels.

So it was at least a nautical trip of sorts. The weather wasn't the greatest as the recent drought ended the day after I arrived. But it was a fun time anyway. How many places can you think of to stay for $76 US a day American Plan? A place so friendly that the cabins don't come with a key and you can just walk into the kitchen for a chat or an ice cream cone or coffee whenever you like? No credit cards and no fancy website. These places don't need to advertise as people return year after year. The lodge was built in the 1920's by the Gugenheimer family from NYC and sold to the McCulloch family in 1945 who have operated it since then.

Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65778 06/18/05 12:58 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I want to learn more about and see pictures of your Kayak! Tell us more.

Now maybe we can get Anchor Bay to make a model of Mombo's Kayak going through a big lock!

Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65779 06/27/05 02:23 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
My AAA magazine arrived Friday and I thought Mombo (and other kayakers) would appreciate this cover shot of "Kayaking the Colorado (River)"

Just made by 9,300th post.

Re: O Canada Reprised - Part 3 (End) #65780 06/27/05 04:19 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Sounds like a enjoyablke trip!! smile

BTW, what is the American plan; all the doughnuts and pastries you can eat??!!??
laugh
Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users