Next Thread
Print Thread
Twenty-six Lighthouses in Twelve Days II #65764 09/29/02 12:13 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
. . . or Six Down, Twenty to go.

Dennis, we did indeed watch the tide table. Low tide that day in the Bay of Fundy was around 12:30 EDT, 1:30 Atlantic Daylight Time. So we hustled across the bridge to Campobello Island, observing the Lubec Channel Light on our way:

Our first stop in Canada was the welcome center, where we found out that East Quoddy was accessible until 2:30 ADT that day. That gave us time to cross the road to the park where Mulholland Light overlooks the town of Lubec:

After a short stop there, we proceeded north to the upper end of the island, and left the car for our excursion to East Quoddy. As some travel agency used to say, "Getting there is half the fun"! We took lots of pictures of our scurrying up and down the ladders and across the bridge. I'll only post a couple of the light here:

While we were on Campobello Island, we took a tour of the summer home that belonged to Franklin Delano Roosevelt's family, and spent a disasterous lunch-hour at a restaurant in the local country club. We headed back in time to make another stop at West Quoddy, to get it in afternoon light:

Then it was back to Eastport for dinner, bed, another incredible sunrise and then an early start back on the road to Boothbay Harbor. We went north on Route 1 to catch Route 9 back to the interstate, passing on the way the northernmost light in Maine, Whitlock's Mill:

Claudia spotted the sign; I would have rolled right past it. I tried to find a path down to the water for a closer view and a better photo op, but had no luck.

Our next lighthousing stop was Boothbay Harbor, where we spent several days. I'll catch up with you there in my next post.

Bruce

Re: Twenty-six Lighthouses in Twelve Days II #65765 09/29/02 02:03 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bruce,

Looks like your luck with the weather was still holding.

Great pictures. Glad you didn't get caught on the wrong side of the water.

I wonder how often that actually happens.

Will be back looking for more of those great shots of yours.

Dennis

Re: Twenty-six Lighthouses in Twelve Days II #65766 09/29/02 12:55 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bruce,

Once again, what great pictures. I've yet to make it out to East and West Quoddy, but would like to get out there this fall. YOur pictures are really great. Thanks for sharing.

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Twenty-six Lighthouses in Twelve Days II #65767 09/30/02 02:17 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
When we arrived in Boothbay Harbor, our luck with the weather finally ran out. A rainy day gave us a chance to do other things - go through the shops, do some laundry, etc. The next day was foggy and overcast, but cleared enough in the afternoon to enjoy the Boothbay Narrow Guage Railroad Museum. In the afternoon, the fog rolled back in, providing appropriate atmosphere for a photo of Hendricks Head:

Dennis, does that look more like what you were accustomed to on your trip? I also tried for a shot of the Cuckolds, but only Bill Harnsberger would have known for sure that it was there.

The next day the sun was back, so we took the Kennebec River Tour. They went the opposite way from that which they normally do, so our lighthouse views began at the top of the river, with (clockwise from upper left) Doubling Point Light, Kennebec River Light, Squirrel Point Light, and Perkins Island Light:

Leaving the river, we passed Pond Island Light, with Seguin Island in the background:

As we passed the southern tip of Newegan, we finally got a clear view of the Cuckolds:

And then as we headed back into Boothbay Harbor, we passed Burnt Island Light:

Still unsatisfied after this orgy of lighthouses, I took a ride after dinner to a spot from which I could get an evening shot of Ram Island Light:

That concludes the Boothbay Harbor portion of the travelogue. Please be sure to get your hand stamped on the way out, if you wish to return for the final installment. wink

Bruce

Re: Twenty-six Lighthouses in Twelve Days II #65768 09/30/02 09:31 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bruce,

More great pictures.

Yes, some of them do look more like my visit to ME & NH Lighthopuses. It just so happened that on my little trip the only days I was near ME & NH to Lighthouse it was foggy and rainy.

That's life. I still got some nice pictures.

Dennis

Re: Twenty-six Lighthouses in Twelve Days II #65769 09/30/02 12:53 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
More great pictures Bruce! Even in the rain, Maine lighthouses look great. Really enjoyed you4 photos. We did Squirrel POint, but the land version. Will look into that river cruise next time I'm up there.

Thanks again for the pictures Bruce. They're great!

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Twenty-six Lighthouses in Twelve Days II #65770 09/30/02 04:47 PM
TexasLights Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Beautiful pictures! What a wonderful vacation it must have been. cool Terry

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,807 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users