Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A "towering" experience #65582 11/24/03 02:32 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Jakers and I finally got the nice sunny day we were waiting for today so we headed north. The Kid got to add another 5 lights to his list of "lighthouses seen" plus we found a bonus "tower".

We started at Sackets Harbor and saw the Horse Island Lighthouse. Then we went further north and saw the remaining Cape Vincent Breakwater Light. After lunch in town we drove the 3 miles west to Tibbetts Point. From there we also got a very distant view of the East Charity Shoal Light. Then as the sun was getting low we headed back south to the Stony Point Lighthouse where we got to meet the new owners of the lighthouse who were very cordial.

I took mostly film photos but here are a couple from the DC.

Horse Island is a pretty drab looking lighthouse at a rather drab time of year. But when the leaves are on the trees it's practically impossible to see the lighthouse.

From this closer view you can see that this light can use some TLC.

Sacketts Harbor is a pretty and historic town. While we were exploring the Madison Barracks area whose earliest buildings date from 1816 we found another "tower".

The sign tells the story of this one.

Re: A "towering" experience #65583 11/24/03 12:44 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Nice pictures Sue, but Horse Island looks like it needs a lot of TLC. Is it privately owned?

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: A "towering" experience #65584 11/24/03 01:25 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Yes Bert the lighthouse and island are privately owned. Info I have is that the owner is fairly local and is "in the insurance business." I chatted briefly a year ago with his nephew who was returning from hunting on the island. He stated that the lighthouse has been owned by the same family for many years. It was reported some time ago that the property was for sale but I don't believe that was true. Recently Jim Crowley was able to visit the lighthouse with the owner.

This site has some great historical photos of the lighthouses of Horse Island.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ny/county/jefferson/hounsfield/horseislandlight.html

Re: A "towering" experience #65585 11/24/03 01:47 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks for that link Sue. The old, original light, looks a lot like the Old Point Loma in California. In its day it looked like it was a very nice light and well taken car of. Kind of sad when they are let go. Hopefully someone may come forward and do right by that light.

Bert

Re: A "towering" experience #65586 11/24/03 08:56 PM
Jake Offline
It was such a great day (thanks again, Mombo wink )! Here are some photos of the other 4 lights on our trip: Cape Vincent Breakwater, Tibbetts Point, East Charity Shoal, and Stony Point.

Cape Vincent Breakwater

Tibbetts Point from water level

Black and white view of the fog signal (one of my favorites)

The distant view of East Charity Shoal that Mombo talked about (taken with Mombo's binoculars over my camera lens)

The Stony Point Light (note the great color of the sunset in the windows)

This is looking from the back of the lighthouse out toward the lake soon after we arrived. The color got even more intense as time went on.

Jakers
Re: A "towering" experience #65587 11/24/03 10:15 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Jakers,

Those are great pictures. Looks like you all had a wonderful day and cooperative weather. I like that reflection of the sunset in the window. Very different aspect that is overlooked most of the time. Thanks for sharing them.

Bert

Re: A "towering" experience #65588 11/24/03 10:55 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
About time the Kid contributed some photos! wink

Wouldn't it be great to see a light in that lantern room at Stony Point???

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,769 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users