cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65302 06/08/99 10:29 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The club held it's first outing in Portland, Maine last weekend, and among the highlights was climbing Portland Head Light and Spring Ledge Light. Both are restricted to the public, but the Hupp's were able to arrange this once in a lifetime opportunity. Since I traveled from Long Island to Maine by way of Boston, and Newport I was able to see 18 lighhouses in 5 days. Details to follow at a later time.
25 members attended so I'm sure all will add their comments, views and pictures to this posting.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65303 06/08/99 11:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh What Fun,

18 in 5 days! How many photos were taken?
So glad your group had this lighthouse opportunity! I know there will be lots of HL collectors who will be envious. Me, being one. Look forward to the other posts about the trip.
Derith

Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65304 06/08/99 03:43 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Oooppps! 19

Diary:
Thursday, June 3rd - Left Mt Sinai at 8am for 10am Orient Point to New London Ferry. Made great time and caught the 9am ferry. Viewed and photographed the Orient Point LH, Plum Island LH, Fishers Island LH, New London Ledge, submarine, and New London Harbor LH from the ferry. Good start 5 LHs; arrived in New London at 10:30 am; 1 1/2 hours ahead of schedule and headed for Boston.
12:30 pm arrived in Boston searching for the Fairmont Copely Plaza. Circled in around Boston Commons, and finally found it. 1pm on the street, lunch at Joe’s Bar and Grill at a sidewalk table; walked to Cheers, Boston Commons, and back to Hotel. Found the John Hancock Building and went to the 58th floor for a view from the observation floor. Awesome – don’t miss it. Across the street to the Trinity Church, and back to hotel. Dinner at Turners Fishery (outstanding-lobster,scallops & shrimp in a brown gravy sauce) at the Westin across the street, and a walk through the Prudential Center indoor mall.

Friday, June 4th – 9am catch the Old Towne Tour Shuttle for trip around Boston – with stops at Farniel Hall, North Church, Paul Revere’s House, Harbor, and USS Constitution.
1:30pm left Boston heading north. Stopped at York Beach, Cape Neddick in search of the Holy Grail. WOW! I can compare driving up to Nubble in the same way as entering Yankee Stadium and seeing the field. My wife, MaryAnn even spotted Boon Island behind Nubble. Not bad for a Newbie. Words cannot describe what pictures can capture. In the gift shop, I was talking to the gift shop cashier about the area. After a lenghty discussion he revealed to me that he was William O. Thompson, the author of books on Nubble and another about Haunted Lighthouses. What a great guy and a world of information. He filled me in on the beach route I was interested in which I took all the way to Kennybunkport. 2 ˝ hours on the beach road of spectacular views including Pirates Cove, the Bush Compound, and Lighthouse Depot in Wells. Somehow missed Goat Island? Back on 95 to Portland arriving at 6pm. Met about a dozen members at dinner at Vermillo’s - twin lobsters for $15.95 completed the day (YUM!).

Saturday, June 5th - Harbor cruise past Portland Head, Spring Ledge, Portland Breakwater, and Ram Island Ledge. Lunch at DeMillio’s. Signing by Bill Younger at the Country Noel Shop where we traded stories with Bill until a 6-year-old Portland boy came in and stole the show. He said he had 12 hls, and then asked Bill if he knew where the tallest lighthouse in the world was located? He then told BY, in the same breadth, that it was in Tokyo, Japan. BY made some notes, and told the youngster he was going to Korea soon and would check it out. The rambunctious boy then reminded BY that the LH was in Japan, not Korea. So BY told him that Korea was as close to Japan as Boston was to Maine, and he would try to visit the lighthouse. The boy was then was hustled out the store by his Mom before he could ask her to buy any more HLs.
3:30pm – A lecture was given by Rusty Springer at the Spring Ledge Museum. We then returned to the hotel for a Club dinner at 7pm and another lecture on Maine lighthouses.

June 6th 8am – Church then a trip to Portland Head to climb the light. Quite a unique experience as the Coast Guard had to give permission and supervise the climb.
12:15 lunch at the Salty Dog for a delicious lobster roll. Then we traveled to Cape Elizabeth Twin Lights with the Fosters and Drummers for some quick pictures before heading back to Spring Ledge for a the unique climb in a caisson lighthouse.
3:30pm we bid our good-byes and thanks to the club Barbara, Henry, Ron. Mary Jane, Ron, Shirley, Ray, Val, Bryan, Cyndee, Penny, the Mills, the Carbones, the Catrinis, the Hawkes, and the Thumms. I hope I didn’t leave anyone out. We enjoyed meeting all of you and the interaction was exceptional.
Arrived in Newport, RI at 7:30pm after a stop at McDonalds and “can you believe a $5.95 lobster roll meal”. Checked in at the Marriott Newport, and took a quick drive through town, ocean drive and past the mansions. Then back to the hotel for a great view of the harbor from our room.

June 7th 7:45am, early lighthousing to Goat Island LH (next to a Radison), view of Rose Island from from Goat Island, around the harbor to Ida Lewis Yacht Club, then onto Ocean Drive to find Castle Rock.
10 am , road trip to Hammersmith Farm – home of Jackie Kennedy. Ocean and mansion dive at 11:30am.
Checkout 12:30, heading for Beavertail. Arrive at Beavertail at 1pm, and continue to Port Judith 2:20pm .
Keepers house is under repair at the none accessible LH. Orient Point 4pm ferry. Orient Point LH is now sporting it’s "100 years anniversary banner". Arrived at LI 5:20pm, viewed Long Beach Bar LH on the way home.

Home Sweet Home 6:30pm.
19 lighthouses and 168 photos!

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 06-09-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65305 06/10/99 08:50 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
Hi Bob,

What an unbelievable trip!!!

I will checking the forum every day for some of your photos. Sounds like you had a fantastic time!!!

I have been trying to talk my family into a lighthouse marathon for a while now with no success. Was hoping to do a New Jersey trip this summer but no luck.....hopefully in the fall.

19 lights............WOW!!! Next time I'm going to be a stowaway.

Keep the Flame!!!!!

(The fingers are moving alot faster than the brian this morning..2 edits, whew!!)

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 06-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 06-10-99).]

Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65306 07/02/99 04:26 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's some arty photo teasers!!!!

Ron Foster & Ron Drummer Photographing Cape Elizabeth
The back

Spring Ledge through a Porthole
The back

Portland Head Gingerbread & Tower
The back

Portland Ledge Architectural View
The back

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 07-16-99).]

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 11-29-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65307 07/02/99 09:10 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice job on the photos, Bob!

We'll be looking forward to many more.

John

Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65308 07/02/99 09:34 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
I like the close up of the breakwater light, Bob. Never even thought of getting a shot of the architectural detailing when we were there, excellent job!

Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 07-11-99).]

Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65309 07/16/99 03:49 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for the compliments.
As a reward, and a way to keep this post alive - here's another

Cape Neddick "NUBBLE"
The back
Here, I was laying on a rock ledge waiting for the wave to run up the ledge. The water came up within 6 inches but I managed to stay dry.

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 07-16-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65310 07/17/99 01:13 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Great pictures Bob! Thanks for sharing.

MOMBO

Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65311 03/08/00 09:29 PM
RFoster Offline
Bob - I'm sorry that I missed this post last year when you first put it on. I just arrived here after you refered this to Jo-Ann from Texas. I really enjoy the photos, especially the close-up of the column & roofline at Portland Breakwater (Bug Light).
Thanks so much for sharing these with us.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65312 03/09/00 11:58 AM
Brent Offline
I'm envious, Bob!! I enjoyed the photos and hope that you have some more coming our way. 19 Lights in 5 days...it sounds like one heck of a trip!!! Thanks for sharing that with us. Its "topics" like that, that help some of us get through the off-season months when its alittle more difficult to get to the coast....

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65313 03/09/00 07:26 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob -- looks like I'm going to have to put up a new Gallery for your latest work.

Great shots and a great time. Wish I lived closer to the East Coast.

Re: Lighthousing with THE NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS CLUB #65314 03/16/00 11:41 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I look foward to my new Gallery, John,
Thank you!

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users