Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Old Photos Scanned - Portugal 1964 #65263 08/20/07 02:46 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
In 1964, I went to Europe (leaving my two little girls with my parents) to follow my husband's ship around the Med. Before I could meet him at the first stop (which was Valencia), my sister (whose husband was station in Nurnberg) met me in Madrid with her one year old baby, and we took the train to Lisbon. We couldn't rent a car, so we got a taxi to go and see some of the sites. One of the places we went was Cabo da Roca

historic postcard image Link from Lighthouses of Portugal web page

I had forgotten I even had these pictures

This is me with my niece - in the past she had problems with earaches so she had to be kept wrapped up against the wind.

This is looking down the coast

There was a cross monument out on the headland - we didn't go all the way down there, but my sister took this picture of me holding her baby and you can see the cross in it.

This was another photo I scanned - it was taken by my dad sometime in the 1940s

Re: Old Photos Scanned - Portugal 1964 #65264 08/22/07 10:24 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rosalie, Great "old" pics.

I love the black and white pic of Lady Liberty with the old piers and marsh area of Jersey City in the background. cool

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Old Photos Scanned - Portugal 1964 #65265 08/22/07 01:29 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Love those pictures ... aren't these old memories just so precious!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Old Photos Scanned - Portugal 1964 #65266 08/22/07 02:24 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Yes the niece that I'm holding is now 44 years old and has two kids of her own. My sister and I found that we couldn't take photos and hold the baby too (in the picture with the cross, I'm standing on one foot so I can prop the baby up with my knee), so we traded off and then duplicated the photos that the other one wanted so we each had a set.

I did not even remember that I had been to this lighthouse until I saw the pictures and I was really surprised at how similar my pictures are to what is on the internet now.

My dad's slide isn't really black and white, but the statue is backlit. (And I notice that the slide is dirty - I will have to brush all the hairs and fibers off it and rescan it)

I am not familiar enough with the area to know which direction he took it in. Does anyone have a picture or a link to a photo taken from a similar angle that shows the differences 60 years have made?

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users