Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2008 Goals? #65192 01/21/08 03:02 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Even though we're already almost 1/12 into 2008, it's really not the lighthouse season yet. Curious what everyone's 2008 hopes and dreams are for lighthousing.

For me:

Cape Cod and the Islands. I've been to the former, but need to get closer to a few. The Islands will be totally new. I have a trip planned here in May by bike, and another possiblityy in June to finish off with Gay Head (which is FAR!).
Long Island. I need to get a bit more done here. I've done Montauk, and all the eastern Sound lights by sailboat. I need to fill in gaps like Fire Island and Horton Point and Eatons Neck...the list goes on. Considering the challenge, but there is that whole "other people" component I love and hate about the challenge concept.
Staten Island. There's a few here I need to see. In fact, I may be celebrating my 18th birthday weekend by driving in alone to see them, legally driving in NYC alone for the first time. It bugs me. They're so close.
Cheapeake/Delaware. Maybe a bit of a lower priority, but I want to do something in this region this year. Maybe a Cape May Whale Watcher trip, maybe a Range Lights of Delaware Roadtrip, maybe a Chesapeake boat trip. Not sure.
New Jersey. I want to revisit all the NJ lights, with my newer photo equipment and more sophisticated understanding of lighthouses. Again, don't really want to do the challenge here, especially as I like volunteering during it. But I like the weekend concept...with a few extras thrown in.

And on the International Front...

Canada. I don't care where, I want to set foot on Canadian soil and photograph Canadian lighthouses. The considerations are either the Great Lakes (Onatrio/Erie from Canada side) or PEI (less likely because of that enticing "Maine" in the middle, and the less enticing "Maine In Summer." Look for this one on the 2009 list).
UK. We're going on our QE2 trip in April, and though we don't plan much lighthousing, I have a few figured out in Southampton and London.

And...

Events. I want to do more collective lighthousing this year. Try to hit the Regionals if the timing works. Definitely try to hit all the NELL events, which are great, easy, fun weekends. Maybe rejoin the Chesapeake Chapter and do a boat trip there. Lighthousing is more fun in groups!

What do you plan this year? Maybe we can get some impromptu Wacko events going on, from a group on a scheduled boat trip to a few of us going on a roadtrip together. That's part of the fun of lighthousing.

Re: 2008 Goals? #65193 01/22/08 12:05 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Short reply for now, Greg...my keyboard is "sick" so I'm typing w/on-line keyboard.

So to make a long story short...I'm returning to Maine this year. Lots of lights between here (VA) and ME, and I expect I'll see you somewhere along the way. smile

Judy

Judy
Re: 2008 Goals? #65194 01/22/08 12:30 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Since 2007 was a step backwards in my lighthousing quests, anything I do in 2008 will be great.

At a minimum, I'd like to finally do the Delaware Bay cruise and the NJ Lighthouse Challenge.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: 2008 Goals? #65195 01/22/08 01:15 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My / Our goal this year ... ohhh there are a few...

We want to see some Scottish lights. This should happen in April! smile

I want to take some pictures of the Needles Lighthouse on the Isle of Wight! And that should happen in May! smile smile

And I want to take some pictures of the lighthouses on the River Elbe and of some of the German Light Ships. And both should happen in June! smile smile smile

... and yes we will tell our CF friends all about it! whistling

Oh ... Greg, when are you going to be in England? Are we going to be in Scotland at that time? confused

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: 2008 Goals? #65196 01/22/08 02:01 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I don't expect to get too much lighthousing in 2008- especially new lights for us.

The trips we have planned are either to places we've already seen most of the lighthouses in that area- SC/GA in April and CA in Dec/ Jan 2009- or places where there are none to be seen- Hungary in Sep/Oct.

I do hope to be able to volunteer for the 2009 NJ Lighthouse Challenge and possibly actually get to a NELL trip this year.

I'll will keep doing the Outreaches for the NJLHS throughout the year.

Dennis

Re: 2008 Goals? #65197 01/22/08 11:17 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Would like to finish the 40 + 3 challenge, which would be 3 Maryland Lighthouses on islands or in the water.

Not sure how much time I will have after work and lighthouse restortaion/preservation work (St. George is nearly done, but now I will be working on the reef lights).

Would like to go on one of Dave's trips.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: 2008 Goals? #65198 01/23/08 12:17 AM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm planning a trip down the coast to California in April. While I've seen almost all of the West Coast Lights, I hope to take the hike to see Point San Luis for the first time. If anyone has done this I'm interested to know how long and strenuous the hike is. The website says 3.5 miles but I am assuming that is round trip and not one way.

Also, in June my wife and I are doing a two week Baltic cruise so expect to see a number of lights that are viewable from the ship. After the cruise we are going to take a one week driving trip to see more of the lights in the Netherlands, northern Germany and Denmark.

Larry

Re: 2008 Goals? #65199 01/23/08 03:07 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Larry, get a hold of the Group that is restoring the place. Access into the power plant, then up the access road looks to be very limited. They were kind enough to drive us up and back from outside the gates. Roads are very steep but were suppose to be repaved by this Spring? Use the website to contact them, and a donation and purchase of some shirts always helps.

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,111 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users