cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65121 08/21/00 12:11 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I arrived in Rochester 1 week ago tonight. After getting settled in (after all I am here to teach), I ventured out this weekend and visited Thirty Mile Point yesterday. The lighthouse was beautiful and the museum associated with it was very informative. What a gem...and Golden Hill State Park is a nice place to spend an afternoon. I hiked around and had a nice snack of wild blackberries. YUM! For those interested here is a link to the devoted organization for this wonderful light! http://members.aol.com/JimMonomoy/private/tmplhome.htm

Doc John

P.S. If there are any members in the area who are interested in educating me about their favorite local lighthouse, please feel free to email me. I intend to venture further out in the next few weeks.

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65122 08/26/00 01:10 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Charlotte-Genessee is on the agenda for this weekend. I have been instructed that the correct pronunciation is "shar-LOT" with the accent on the second syllable.

Doc John

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-25-2000).]

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65123 08/26/00 03:16 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Now Doc, you're going to have to start posting more detailed information on your lighthousing jaunts. And pictures, too!

Hope you're enjoying the scenery there in NY. Several forumites up that way - maybe you can hook up with some of them.

Dave

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65124 08/27/00 09:50 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
OK Dave, I'll give a little bit more information about the lighthouses I have visited. Photos will have to wait until I get them developed. To be honest I take pictures but I've seen other people's photos from this forum and I don't think mine are quite up to their standard.

Thirty Mile Point is located smack dab in the middle of Golden Hill State Park. The park itself was worth the trip because it had a nice network of hiking trails (lined by many blackberry bushes which are now ripening). If you are a camper, there are many campsites literally within the shadows of the lighthouse and with fantastic views of Lake Ontario. The lighthouse itself has many of its associated buildings still intact (even a 2 seater outhouse) and there is a detailed guide which describes the purpose of the individual buildings. The climb up the tower was easy and the view was spectacular. The most interesting facet of this particular lighthouse was the fact the the preservation society has created a turn of the century (actually the last century I guess to be accurate) feel with many period antiques furnishing the rooms. There are some educational exhibits but it was this "living museum" feeling that most impressed me with Thirty Mile Point.

Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse has an extensive array of historical information and exhibits associated with it. This not only includes the lighthouse itself but also the history of the Genesee region iteself, the town of Charlotte (and to further correct myself it is pronounced sha-LOT...no "r"), Lake Ontario, navigation, and railroads/trolleys in the area. The 2 volunteers that guided me were locals who provided details of their childhood recollections of the lighthouse many decades ago. The story of how the lantern room was reconstructed is a good example of what motivated lighthouse lovers can accomplish...and it was mostly done as a high school project from what I could ascertain. The biggest marvel for me was the mason work involved in the tower constuction. The individual stones are irregular in size and shape but have been put together to form a remarkably stable "cobblestone" tower that has survived over 175 years. The tower is one of the more beautiful natural/unpainted towers that I have ever seen. The climb is fairly easy, the last few yards are up a narrow ladder. The view from the top is very nice. For those interested, here is a link to the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society: http://www.frontiernet.net/~mikemay/

More to come:
Doc John

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65125 09/02/00 01:12 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
No lighthousing this weekend. I drove home for the holiday weekend and to go to the season opener...WVU vs Boston College. Let's Go Mountaineers!

Doc John

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65126 09/13/00 03:48 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
My lighthouse plans for this past weekend were to visit Dunkirk, Buffalo and Fort Niagara.

Saturday started off with a big "dud"...I drove 2 hours to Dunkirk only to find it wasn't open. They advertise hours as 10 - 2 everyday except Wed and Sun. When I called their number, I was told it was closed because of a wedding. I wasn't even able to get pictures because there is a large fence surrounding the grounds that was locked off.
LESSON LEARNED 1: Don't believe published hours of operation...call ahead before driving a long way and make sure.

So I had lunch at the Burger King in Dunkirk and shuffled off to Buffalo. I used the Roberts and Jones Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses as my direction guide and ended up at a marina across a canal from the lighthouse. I was close enough to get good pictures but on my way out I took a look at Penrose "Guide to 100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses" and found they gave directions to the Coast Guard station which had an open walkway all the way up to the lighthouse. So I drove over and got even better pictures of the brick lighthouse plus the bottle light next to it. The tower was not open to climb last weekend.
LESSON LEARNED 2: Use multiple guides...sometimes the directions are different.

I then drove to catch a glimpse of the South Buffalo Lighthouse which I could see from a distance. The Penrose guide again gave great directions.

I then drove up to Fort Niagara which is actually a very interesting looking structure...almost medieval inappearance. The grounds surrounding it were quite nice and the leaves on some of the trees were actually beginning to turn yellow. While walking around, I had a big suprise in the form of a small white lighthouse with a red light that I could see across the Niagara river in Canada. According to the Penrose book, it was one of the Niagara River Range Lights in Niagara-On-The-Lake Ontario. My family is coming up this weekend and we will be spending the weekend in Niagara Falls Ontario so I will have to drive up and try to get a closer look then.

Now...this may not be lighthouse related, but the biggest surprise of the weekend was a gem by the name of Letchworth State Park. It was recommended by a few people I am working with so I decided to drive down there. I figured I'd drive down, see a waterall, and drive back in an hour...WRONG! I spent about 6 hours there. The road through the park reminded me alot of Skyline Drive with spectacular views of the Genesee river and gorge with parking turnabouts, picnic areas and hiking trails...plus 3 dramatic, beautiful waterfalls! Keep this park in mind if you are ever in the western New York area.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65127 09/13/00 05:06 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
When I called their number, I was told it was closed because of a wedding.

A bit of creative fibbing here, Doc.

"Yes, I know, I'm working with the wedding photography who wanted me to visit the grounds to ID some of the places where I can get wide-angle photographs of the ceremony."

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65128 09/14/00 01:50 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Doc,
You have also learned a lesson that anyone exploring Great Lakes lights should learn: use the Penrose books! The 3 books ($15 each) cover Eastern & Western GL and Michigan in a book by itself. Great directions, map, info and pics of almost every light presented in a logical sequence.

Now that I'm done advertising, sounds like you did end up having a decent weekend. Maybe you should have "name dropped" at Dunkirk - I know Mombo, the Kaiz's, Jim Johnson..... - maybe that would have been the magic password!

Dave

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65129 09/14/00 11:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have had this problem a few times too, The fence problem. I wonder if I should start taking along an 8 foot ladder just so I can shoot over the top of the fence (not so I can climb over it)

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65130 09/14/00 12:45 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
John, am I rubbing off on you? LOL
Creative Lighthousing

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65131 09/21/00 03:04 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I spent last weekend in Niagara Falls and took the opportunity to drive up to Niagara-On-The-Lake to view the Niagara River Range lights. Small quaint twin towers fitting for the small quaint community where they reside. They are square tapering atructures which have the characteristic Canadian markings...mostly white with red "trim". They are located in a marina and are publically accessible but were not open to climb. They were easily found...again using the Penrose guide (another plug for it Dave!).

I'm heading home for the weekend tomorrow morning after class and will hopefully be able to hit Dunkirk on the way...provided they are open between 10 and 2 as they claim...and there are no other weddings, funerals or bar-mitzvahs scheduled there. Unfortunately I will be missing the first meeting on Sunday of the Upstate NY Harbour Lights Collectors Club. I was so graciously invited to attend even though I am an out-of-towner and I wish them the best of luck in getting their group started. Maybe they will allow me to be an honorary member anyway???

Doc John

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65132 09/28/00 11:56 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, Dunkirk was worth it. I stopped in last Friday on my way home and thought I was just going to stop for a few minutes to take a couple of pictures. I ended up spending an hour and a half there. The keeper's dwelling has to be one of the most interesting I've seen. The gables and the inticate woodwork were great. The location and the views were spectacular. The "museum" is more of a Veterans museum than a lighthouse museum. The tour lasted about an hour and about 15 mins was spent on lighthouse history and 45 minutes on all the military stuff they have on display there. I'm not big into military history but I could tell it was obvious a labor of love for the volunteers there.

I drove to Sodus Point this afternoon and visited the Sodus Point Lighthouse Museum and walked up to the Sodus Outer Light. The museum was very well done and has displays on the history of the community as well as the lighthouse. It was a beautiful but VERY COLD and WINDY so close to the water. The tower was open to climb and the view from the top was fantastic. Walking out on the pier up to the Outer Light you can see what a beautiful setting the older stone lighthouse is sitting in.

I am heading to Toronto this weekend primarily to go see "The Lion King" but I have noticed in the Penrose guide that there are several Canadian lighthouses to see on the way that are just a short distance off the QEW.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65133 09/29/00 03:01 AM
Art Offline
Doc,

Enjoy your trip to Toronto -- It's a beautiful city. While there, take a ferry out to Toronto Island and go to Gibralter Point Lighthouse . This Page has another photo, but I like this photo best.

Enjoy.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65134 10/05/00 03:40 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
The weekend trip to Toronto was very fruitful in terms of lighthouse experiences. After the play on Sat afternoon we went over to the Toronto Islands to see Gibraltor (thanks Art). The boat ride and the walk around the island to the lighthouse were very nice. I noticed a sign directing one to a "clothing optional" beach but it was too cold
The lighthouse was very nice with large gray bricks. There was a nice story on a plaque about how one of the early lightkeepers had disappeared there. Legend has it that his spirit still inhabits the tower...love those spooky lighthouse ghost stories...especially at dusk! I'd like to see Harbour Lights come up with a "Haunted Lighthouse" series and release them around this time of year. They can include a story about the legend in the COA. Anyway I digress. The sun had set while we were walking around and we were treated to a spectular nighttime Toronto skyline on the way back.

The trip back home took me to 6 additional light. The first was the Queen's Wharf Light that was relocated to an area in front of a Molson's brewery or warehpouse (I believe). An unusual attractive lighthouse in an ugly location.

The Oakville light was easy to find and is situated in the middle of a yacht club. The gate was open so I walked in and got a couple of nice pictures. A small white 6 sided lighthouse with red trim.

The Burlington Main Light is made of dark stone-like bricks and is situated in from of a large metal trestle bridge. While I was busy taking pictures of the lighthouse another guy there was busy taking pictures of the bridge...go figure! It was then a short walk down the pier to see the Burlington Canal Range Light.

The final lighthouses were the Port Dalhousie Inner and Outer Range Lights. Contrary to what is indicated in the Penrose guide, these lighthouses are readily accessible to the public. They are both very attractive and are painted white with vibrant green lantern rooms. The inner light is in the process of being refurbished and they were in the process of replacing the cedar shingles on the outside of the tower.

A very successful lighthousing weekend...oh...and The Lion King was absolutely spectacular!

This next weekend will be my final one in Rochester. Some finger lakes and wineries on the agenda for Saturday and then as many lighthouses as I can see east of Sodus on Sunday.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65135 10/05/00 07:30 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Well Doc, it seems as though you have made excellent lighthousing adventures during your sabatical. Hopefully your med school students have also benefitted from your presence. Just think how many more lights you could have seen if you didn't have to go to school!

The ability to access the Port Dalhousie Inner and Outer Range Lights may be an improvement made since the book was last printed.

Have a great trip home. I'm sure the family will be glad to have you home for a while.

Dave

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65136 10/12/00 11:14 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
A cold but beautiful weekend to be out and about. The fall colors were spectacular. My adventures Sat were non-lighthouse related but they were quite nice. The professor who I am working with took me on a trip around Seneca Lake. We visited a few wineries and stopped for an hour and a half at Watkins Glen park. The effects of the wine made the hike in the cold more enjoyable although too be honest the scenery there was fantastic. A recommmended trip (as is Letchworth Park)for anyone who is interesetd in natural rock formations and waterfalls.

Sunday was spent traveling east of Rochester and seeing those lighthouses which were readily accessible by road. Since I had already been to Sodus Bay the next stop was Oswego. I found it without difficulty the only bad thing was that it was so far away from the pier that it was difficult to see well.

The Selkirk/Salmon River light was next. It looked just as I expected...a little close to the road perhaps but I was able to go up close and inspect it. A few boxes of empty beer bottles on the back porch of the house was a little distracting form the experience but hey this is the modern world.

Stoney Point was next. You can get good visibility from the road and it is an interesting style. Its privately owned so I didn't go any further than the road and took a couple pictures.

The highlight of the trip was definitely Tibbet's Point lighthouse. A spectular setting with wonderful panoramic views. Great Harbour Lights potential if they can somehow capture the majesty of the setting as well as the tower. I was the only person there that afternoon and I guess this was the last weekend the visitor center was opened (at least a sign on the door indicated that). I was very lucky. I had an interesting discussion with the volunteer there about the Pitt-Syracuse game.

This has been a wonderful experience for me and I head home tomorrow...and then immediately head to Orlando for a little family time.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65137 10/12/00 02:59 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hey Doc

Just want you to know your headed for some terrific weather here in Orlando. This is the weather that compensates for 96 degrees for three months of the year.

Have fun! Maybe you can sneak in a trip to Ponce Inlet?

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-12-2000).]

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65138 10/13/00 02:36 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing your travels, Doc. Get some pictures loaded up so we can see what you were enjoying. Have fun in Orlando.

Dave

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65139 10/13/00 03:06 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Figures Doc, the day you headed in my direction was the day I went in the opposite direction (to 30 Mile Point)!

Sorry we didn't connect but am glad you got to see so many of our lights!

Re: How I spent my Sabbatical in Rochester #65140 10/17/00 12:24 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
And you all thought I was done didn't you? Well on the way home Thurs afternoon I stopped off at the Barcelona light. I was pleasantly surprised as I didn't realize from the information I had reviewed how close and readily accessible this lighthouse is. EZ on and off I-90 and parking right next to it. The tower construction reminded me a little of the Charlotte-Genesse light. It is very attractive and the location has a wonderful view of Lake Erie.

After I get back from Orlando (and yes...the weather here is absolutely perfect Joanne and the lines at the parks are tolerable too!) I have 9 rolls of film to get developed and I will try to post them.

Doc John

Doc John

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users