cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wonderful day! #64978 08/11/03 10:37 PM
eskilady Offline OP
OP Offline
Beaconfollower and I went to Oswego today and actually had the chance to see the Oswego Light!! The last two times we were there, it was so foggy that we couldn't see hide nor hair of it but this time, while not clear, we did get to see it and take pictures of it. We sat on the end of the pier and looked at it for awhile and wished that someone would stop in their boat and offer us a ride but, they didn't. We had heard about this beautiful painting on one of the buildings and asked where we could find it and we did. Here it is: it is suppose to be the original light from 1890.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Wonderful day! #64979 08/11/03 11:52 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Glad you guys finally got up to Oswego! Wouldn't you know it I was up there last week one day or maybe it was the week before. (All this rain and humidity has seeped into my brain!) I know it was before it started raining anyway as the view of the lighthouse was the very best I've even seen. Of course I didn't have my camera with the new telephoto lens along. frown I stopped in at the museum to see if they had anything new on offer and managed to pick up a pair of LH earrings. smile The museum is well worth the small admission fee too, lots to see including the former lens from the current light. I'd wait until it's a bit cooler for that though. They have an annual open house at Christmas time which we went to, free admission plus cookies and punch. Santa even arrives on a CG boat for the kiddies! It was a neat time to go!

That mural is actually the second light at Oswego which is a sort of reconstruction of the first one which sat over in the Ft. Ontario area and dated to 1822. It was the inner harbor light and there was also another breakwater light which functioned for roughly the same timeframe. You can see both of the lights here:

http://www.coastalguardians.com/oswego.html

The next time you go to Oswego go to the fort and look for the small stone building which is off to your left when entering the grounds. It's the 1822 light's keepers house and is occupied by the fort's manager. When we were up there a few years ago we ran into him coming home and he told us that you could still see where the original lighthouse was if you walked out back of the house. It was winter and I didn't have the proper footwear so I looked another time but wasn't quite sure what I saw was the place.

There's also a new Holocaust Museum in one of the buildings in the fort area I've yet to make it to.

http://www.oswegohaven.org/

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DANIEL, Rock, Dave H), 1,665 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users