Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64931 09/19/04 12:06 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

We started off the day swinging by the Luddington Pier light, one of HL's new lights this year.

From there we headed to the Luddington State Park and Big Sable Lighthouse. Today was a lighthouse event day in a couple of ways...three times a year, the Big Sable Society is allowed to shuttle people to and from the lighthouse. There also was to be a Kim Event at the lighthouse, Kim was under the weather and could not make the trip. But the event went on.

The Shuttle service to the lighthouse results in big crowds to the lighthouse since the walk is about 1.5 miles one way.

The lighthouse was at her finest! The tower gleamed in the sunlight!

I actually managed to get a couple of shots by "moving my feet" and going where the crowds were not.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64932 09/19/04 12:06 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

A couple of teens, dressed up in period clothes, volunteered to tell the history of the lighthouse to the visitors.

Society members did many jobs at the activity, including selling tickets to climb the tower. All of the money goes to the restoration of the lighthouse.

After buying tickets to the tower, people stood in line for their turn. Many people took advantage of the climb to the top.

This is a view of the back side of the lighthouse.

I "moved my feet"...went back and got a different view...

Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64933 09/19/04 12:07 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

I laid down for this view....

Marsha, with the Society, draws the name of the gold lighthouse winner...HL Rep, Terry, holding the box, hosted the HL event for Kim who was not able to be there.

The gold winner, Judy Reeves of Mishawaka IN, shown here with Marsha and Terry, is a volunteer at the lighthouse and a HL collector.

On the way back from Big Sable, I was able to get a different perspective of the Luddington Pier Light.

Once we arrived back at Luddington, I got a different view from the little park just north of the breakwater.

Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64934 09/19/04 12:21 AM
eskilady Offline
Beautiful pictures!! Thanks for sharing!

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64935 09/19/04 08:32 AM
Grover Offline
Paul,

Sounds like one great day and I appreciate your sharing ...

Personally, as good as the shots of Big Sable are, I think they were teases, saving your very best for that last shot of the pier light, framed by the tree, accompanied by the gull.

I think that was the best of a very good series of photographs.

Thanks again for sharing ...

Grover

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64936 09/19/04 09:18 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great pictures Paul, and great movement of the feet. Always difficult to get pictures without people, when so many are around. Nice going!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64937 09/19/04 12:30 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
GREAT photos, Paul! Of the "artistic" photos, I especially like the ones of Ludington (that last one IS great!), the one of Sable with the boulders on front, and the Sable with the boardwalk. laugh

There were also, of course, the "story photos", which you did a great job with as well! Why can't they ALWAYS have the shuttle? It looks nice and it drives you to the lighthouse and comfy and it drives you to the lighthouse... wink

Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64938 09/19/04 01:06 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
More beautiful photos Paul. It looks like you had a very nice day for visiting the lighthouses.

John and I wanted to see Big Sable last year but had to skip it due to the time frame it would have taken to walk out there. frown We covered a lot of miles in one day and were running out of daylight. We saw all the western MI lights from St. Joe's to Point Betsie.

Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64939 09/19/04 10:02 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very nice pictures. smile

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Trip to Ludington and Big Sable... #64940 09/19/04 11:21 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great shots, Paul! I knew that they did the shuttle a couple times a year but have never been on it - I much prefer the hike down the beach and back. smile Looks like you guys had a great time! Next time around, stop by my place in Fremont! smile smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users