Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maryland lights 2010 #64832 03/06/10 12:28 AM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Since there won’t be a Maryland Lighthouse Challenge, I did my own version this past weekend. I needed a break, just wanted to get away from everyone and everything that was stressful. What should have been a four and a half hour drive turned into eight and a half hours, most of it in 4wd. So I wasn’t doing so good at stress relief to begin with. I had to get past a lot of snow, took a major detour through PA, but Butch (my boxer) and I left home at 5:30 last Friday and about 2 o’clock, we finally got to Seven Foot Knoll.

See anything wrong with this picture? The canopy had blown off during the previous 12 hours. They said that even though they thought the lighthouse looked better without the canopy it probably would be replaced. After a major disagreement with the parking garage, first it hid my car (with Butch in it), then it would NOT let me out, I missed turning off to see Baltimore. Still not doing too good at stress relief. I had to do a U turn at the park where I would have seen Sandy Point when I saw the sign NO PETS. I could see Sandy Point as I drove across the bridge but couldn’t get Butch to snap the picture. I did manage to find my way to see Bloody Point. Several families nearly have this lighthouse is their backyard…

It wasn’t until I got home and blew up the pictures that I saw the ice.

By the time I got a room I was thinking: #1 when you are the only navigator you must plan better. #2 having a dog along is great but does cause problems. #3 Map! GPS is great but you need a map.
I plotted my strategy that evening and the next morning. First I would go back to the state park and politely ask if I could drive in just to see the lighthouse and promise my dog would not leave the car. Then I would drive back up to see Baltimore. When I got there I found that there was no one at the entrance of the Sandy Point State Park, so I paid my money into the machine and Butch and I drove down to the beach. Low and behold, not only can I see Sandy Point, but there was Baltimore also! Since there was no one in the entire park (I love that about going places off season) I let Butch run.
That’s him along with Sandy Point..

and I had an excellent view of Baltimore lighthouse also.

Saturday was going much better than Friday. Next was Hoopers Strait, the second lighthouse I could enter.

Then down to Sharps Island.

Now the night before, as I was planning, I checked the Chesapeake Lighthouse website for directions to various lights and I noticed that they had driving directions to Thomas Point and said the gate to the park opened at nine. I had read that you had to have a permit to drive into that park and that only a few were issued. I had not thought I would get to see Thomas Point on this trip, but now I thought it was worth a try. Well, there were the closed gates and all the signs about needing permits. A very kind lady jogger pointed out to me that the gate was unlocked and I could drive right in, she would handle the gates. You do not need a permit now, they just haven’t taken down the signs. Once again we had the place to ourselves. It was a beautiful little park and the view was great!

Laura
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64833 03/06/10 12:30 AM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Next was the Calvert Maritime Museum and Drum Point. I managed to pick the one day they were closed for a shindig, but I could see the outside of the lighthouse.

Then Cove Point, though I couldn’t see much through the fence. Only way to get through the gate is with Calvert Maritime Museum.

Time to call it a night have some crab cakes. Since the weather was better I thought I could get a couple more in the next day before I headed home. Now, I know some people see every single lighthouse, but I pick and choose when time is pressing. So I skipped the Craighills and the Lazaretto replica and headed for two great old lighthouses built by John Donohue. It was snowing some as I came up to Concord Point, but the sun came back out soon.

Then on to Turkey Point! The sign said it was .8 miles to the lighthouse, believe me I checked again when I got back, but it seemed much longer trudging through the snow. Butch had no trouble and kept looking at me, wondering why I was floundering around so. This was the “easy” trail to Turkey Point.

Then finally the lighthouse…

Once again, just me and Butch. Never did figure out where this sidewalk went to…

It was a great trip. There is something very special about visiting an old historic lighthouse with no one around and I that treat several times. I also got to see quite a few off shore lights and saw them quite well from the shore. My plan for the next solo trip is to spend more time just sitting. That should help with the stress relief…but it will cut down on lighthouses seen. Not sure I can stick to that plan, but I do think it is a good idea. I’ll start with Toledo Harbor. Wonder how well I can see it from the shore?

Laura
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64834 03/06/10 02:10 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
What a great travelogue! This is the kind of lighthousing I have to get out and do ASAP -- just some get-out-of-the-house stuff. I haven't been lighthousing since early December...and I can tell.

You've given me inspiration...I need to do something in the next few weeks. I'm off on my spring break next week, but after that...lighthousing has to come into play somewhere.

Thanks for sharing some great shots and dialogue!

Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64835 03/06/10 02:48 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for taking us along on the trip, Laura, I think it is longer than .8 miles back to Turkey Point on any day.. Of course it is a little up hill all the way to the light..

Sue and I are leaving in a week for St. Augustine and we are starting our trip by going to the Outer Banks then heading to a few more lights down the coastline to Florida. We also need a lighthousing trip!!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64836 03/06/10 02:51 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Toledo Harbor Light is around 7 miles off shore..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64837 03/06/10 09:48 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Great story, Laura! Thank you for bringing us along and all the fabulous photos of your adventure! Thank you for taking the time to do all this.

smile Bob smile

Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64838 03/06/10 01:34 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pics !!!

I love the winter look with lighthouses.

Thanks for sharing !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64839 03/06/10 03:12 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Laura for the pics and narrative. Nice tip on Thomas Point.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64840 03/06/10 09:39 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Nice job of reporting, Laura, Glad that you and Butch survived the weekend. Winter lighthousing can present its challenges as well as rewards. Think you found both on your weekend!

The Sandpiper takes a trip out to Toledo Light about once a month during the summer months. Slow ride, but they do a nice job. They haven't posted a 2010 schedule yet, but you can watch their website to see when they will be visiting this summer.

Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64841 03/06/10 10:02 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Great story and fantastic pictures. I bet you and Butch had a great time not to mention the security of having a large dog accompany you being alone.

Rich
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64842 03/07/10 02:43 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for all the comments. Greg, hope you find a great place to explore soon. Paul and Sue, Ocracoke is relit, be sure to tell us about the renovations there and at Bodie. I think I will get there this summer. Maybe finally get to climb Bodie! Bob, I was thrilled to get to see Thomas Point. I never expected to do that. Thanks all, for the tips on Toledo Harbor. I am stubborn enough I will still try from shore, if that fails I will try again for a boat trip. Plenty of lighthouses near there to justify multiple trips. March or April I am going again.

Laura
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64843 03/07/10 03:57 PM
T
Tom Offline
Wacko
Wacko
T
There is a lot of restoration happening at Bodie. The tower will not be completed until sometime in spring 2011.

Tom
Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64844 03/07/10 08:56 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Laura, you can do all the land or near shore Ohio lights in 3 days without too much trouble. And, that would include the 3 in Erie, PA.

I think you are going to have a challenge getting a picture of even low quality from shore - no high spots and the light isn't that far off the water. On the way to Toledo is also Turtle Island Light. Don't forget South Bass while at that end of the lake. You can see the Perry Monument from Marblehead (some consider is a LH, some don't). Just to keep things interesting, there are also a couple lights on Grand Lake St. Mary's at Celina. The harbor cruise in Cleveland will get you closer to the harbor lights and is a very interesting informational cruise about the city, the port and the lakers.

Some of the near shore lights in Ohio are starting to take trips out to the lights, but I would expect it will be limited to summer months for these cruises.

Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64845 03/08/10 03:36 AM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I really enjoyed your narrative and terrific photos. But if you were down at Solomons why not swing across the bridge to St. Mary's and get Point Lookout, Piney Point and the top of Cedar Point?

Re: Maryland lights 2010 #64846 03/08/10 11:44 AM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Rosalie, I figured I would save them for another time. Only so much energy. I remember your photos of the "spiders" in Chesapeake Bay. I am going to be going back to look at them. I did drive out to one old site, Love Point, but I couldn't see anything. So cool that you documented all those former lighthouse sites.
Dave, thanks for the reminder of Grand Lake St. Mary's. You are probably right about Toledo Harbor...but I can always go up again in the summer.

Laura

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,324 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users